Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bicep tendonitis - good excercises to do, please?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Bicep tendonitis - good excercises to do, please?

Postby omg » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:48 am

Seems like I have a tendonitis on my bicep, long upper end at the shoulder. It also seems that the tendon is at least swollen but it has been like this for at least a year or so, so it might be more chronicle. However, is there anything I can do to help myself out of this or is this the end of the kiting career?

Thank you very much!

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bicep tendonitis - good excercises to do, please?

Postby Exal » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Doesn't sound like you went to a doctor yet. I go to a chiropractor every 3 months or so and do facepulls with some resistance bands every morning and that helped me a lot with my problems from bad posture and pain in my right arm.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
omg (Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Bicep tendonitis physio exercises are pretty much the same exercises that you get for rotator cuff injuries (lateral pull aparts etc). If you google the exercises for rotator cuff rehabilitation (start with the lightest loads) then you are moving in the right direction. It will take a good month before you start to notice real improvement though so you need to keep your expectations in check.

Also the doorway bicep stretch can help to relieve the symptoms - though its not a rehabilitative exercise.

I was able to kite through my physio rehab without causing any additional injury (hooked in) so its not the end of the world.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post (total 3):
Mossy 757 (Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:14 pm) • omg (Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm) • Bille (Sat May 25, 2019 1:26 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Trim bar to be further out. Longer travel and more stretched arms.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
omg (Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 pm)

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Like nothing2seehere said, physio exercises will be helpful. Focus on those that use the muscle groups that oppose the biceps and avoid direct weighted exercises on groups in pain. RICE also helps a TON for this stuff when you do activity, don't skip the ice if you have the means to.
These users thanked the author Mossy 757 for the post:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Lots of possibilities, look up;
Cross friction massage
Strain/counter strain
Trigger point therapy
Reciprocal inhibition
Heat &/or hydrotherapy

Or find someone who already knows which of these will work best/fastest for you, separately or in combination.
It can almost always be fixed and always helped.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Some kites also have way less bar pressure than others, the race foil kites in particular have like no bar pressure, I can fly my PL Aero with like a couple fingers on the bar to steer it. Flysurfer race kites also have pretty minimal bar pressure. An arc on the other hand is an arm workout haha.

Also, as mentioned trim the bar out and keep your arms straighter.
These users thanked the author kitejumping for the post:

microbirds
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami key west / dockweiler beach / Malibu ca
Style: sport - DLG RC Gliders
Gear: i had an old Rebel years back, hurt my back and had to rest for a few years. but go my eye on the North Rebel 2018 :p
Brand Affiliation: https://www.microbirds.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby microbirds » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 pm

i know this might sound like something from the left field but please hear me out...i had very VERY severe tendonitis, tennis elbow, arthritis the works, all from playing sports pretty much all my life, up until the age of 39 is when i found out all my suffering was due to eating factory farm cheese, meats etc. which are all injected with hormones, fed GMO grains etc. so i decided to stop eating factory farmed junk and moved to grass fed cheese, pasture raised meats etc. and to my surprise, all my pain has diminished completely. we have been fed poison all our lives and no body seems to put the blame on foods we eat,,,humans are meant to walk long distances, we are meant to move aned use our bodies to the max, even with this wonderful kite sports, people tend to think...well, im in pain it must be from old age or from sports,,,far from the truth..you really are what you eat...i would say for the most part 80% of the time your issues are from the foods you eat..hope this helps somewhat, im just very sad to find this out after 30 years of suffering,,but never too late to change the way we eat. cheers and happy gliding :)
These users thanked the author microbirds for the post:
omg (Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 pm)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:59 pm

microbirds wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 pm
i know this might sound like something from the left field but please hear me out...i had very VERY severe tendonitis, tennis elbow, arthritis the works, all from playing sports pretty much all my life, up until the age of 39 is when i found out all my suffering was due to eating factory farm cheese, meats etc. which are all injected with hormones, fed GMO grains etc. so i decided to stop eating factory farmed junk and moved to grass fed cheese, pasture raised meats etc. and to my surprise, all my pain has diminished completely. we have been fed poison all our lives and no body seems to put the blame on foods we eat,,,humans are meant to walk long distances, we are meant to move aned use our bodies to the max, even with this wonderful kite sports, people tend to think...well, im in pain it must be from old age or from sports,,,far from the truth..you really are what you eat...i would say for the most part 80% of the time your issues are from the foods you eat..hope this helps somewhat, im just very sad to find this out after 30 years of suffering,,but never too late to change the way we eat. cheers and happy gliding :)
[citation needed]

microbirds
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami key west / dockweiler beach / Malibu ca
Style: sport - DLG RC Gliders
Gear: i had an old Rebel years back, hurt my back and had to rest for a few years. but go my eye on the North Rebel 2018 :p
Brand Affiliation: https://www.microbirds.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby microbirds » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 am

reference is myself, and friends and family around me i have helped, this is not rocket science, humans are not meant to consume animal hormones and animal antibiotics injected in these caged animals fed GMO grains, we have survived for millions of hears hunting and eating wild game grazing on grass, under sunlight, please steer away from fast foods and grain fed caged factory farming, eat pasture raised grass fed, get your fast soluble vitamins A D E K naturally, takes less than a month to see your health benefits, if thats difficult to do, and if that is not enough self evidence, i dont know what is ;) cheers and happy gliding

Return to “Kitesurfing”