Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Buying used lightwind kite Beginner Help

Forum for kitesurfers
Xaxpop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Uppsala
Gear: North EVO 9m2, North Rebel 12m2 - 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Buying used lightwind kite Beginner Help

Postby Xaxpop » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Hey guys!

I live in a place where the wind is usually pretty light and my largest current kite is 12m2 and it leaves me on the shore more often then not, and being a beginner (only ridden a few times) its frustrating since i want to ride and learn.

I currently own North Evo 9 & 12 -2015.

So i need to get a lightwind kite, im looking at used kites for economical reasons, still have a year left at uni so trying not to blow my bankaccount to badly.

Could i get some pointers in what to buy or can i get away with buying pretty much anything that is 16-17m2 and not to old?

I currently have gotten offers to buy:
Naish Draft 17 -2015
Liquid Force NRG Light Breeze 16m2 -2014
Blade Fat Lady v4 (new and quite expensive sadly).

I've tried to google for information but its super hard.
Any chance you guys want to pass on some of your vast knowledge and help out a beginner like me? :)

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Re: Buying used lightwind kite BEGINNER HELP

Postby tomato » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:11 pm

as beginner I was on the same mindset- big kite has more power which I need. Maybe :) I got 16m. Quite happy with it.
But was really surprised when one day I could not get upwind anymore- but experienced dude on 14m just zooms passing me. It is a lot about skills and board size. If you are on a tight budget- try big board, this might might do the same as big kite for you, but at much less cost.
These users thanked the author tomato for the post:
Sun (Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Huge advocate for the big board here. I have a Nobile NHP XTR, and it makes a bigger difference than you would expect. I weigh 200lbs, and I have a 12m Ozone Hyperlink that I can ride starting at 11mph with the Nobile. With my normal twintip I need about 14mph to do the same.

Xaxpop
Rare Poster

Postby Xaxpop » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks for the answer guys! So you think i could make do with a 12m2 and a big board?
My current board is quite big, North X-ride 141cm and i weigh 170lbs.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Re: Buying used lightwind kite Beginner Help

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Well, Ill suggest to you a big kite and a big board, not just one or the other- both.

Stay away from the draft and the nrg. Neither will relaunch particularly well and that is even more important in light conditions.

Look for a slingshot turbine, ocean rodeo flite, cabrinha contra, lf solo, ,
17m size for sure. Lots of people will try to convince you that a smaller size when combined with big board will “work”. Get powered in light wind man. Get a 17.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:42 pm

in that case i'd go for a 17-18m kite instead, 141 is already a decent size board and you'd have to go for a huge door to get much better than that. personally i feel like i get maybe an extra half-knot (MAYBE 1 knot) of extra low end out of a door, and they are so boring to ride that i'd rather sit on the beach and wait for more wind. at least with a bigger kite you can do tricks and have fun.

for buying bigger kites id try to find something as recent as possible, there has been some innovation lately that makes a big difference. my favorite light wind kite at the moment is the 17(? 18?)m best roca, 2018+. The eleveight one is probably good too since they just took the best designs. slingshot turbine is ok. not a fan of those old LF NRGs, they were dogs.

Xaxpop
Rare Poster

Postby Xaxpop » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for the answers guy.
I agree with the boardsize, it feels like its already borderline big and as soon as i get a few more sessions on the water i will probably be looking to get a smaller one as well.

Thanks for the kite tips so far! How old is too old? I really like the 2015 North kites that i have, but i should aim for newer ones when buying a large kite?

How about the Blade fat lady v4, people tend to either lover or hate it.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

The OR Flite is a great 17m for TT riding.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:00 pm

I have naish draft 12m, and had 12m NRG. Both are quite heavy with shitty relaunch (it matters in light winds). But both are great high wind kites.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:25 am

Xaxpop wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:06 pm
Thanks for the kite tips so far! How old is too old? I really like the 2015 North kites that i have, but i should aim for newer ones when buying a large kite?

How about the Blade fat lady v4, people tend to either lover or hate it.
Yeah I was talking specifically about lightwind kites. I've flown a 2016 18m cab velocity, 2017 best roca 17m, 2018 best roca 17m back to back and the difference between the two older ones to the new roca was HUGE, Roca felt almost as light and quick as my regular 12m, but the other 2 felt like huge heavy beasts. Still pulled with a ton of power, but the "fun" factor in flying them was night and day. Cabrinha now has a new line of the giant light wind kites (that I haven't flown), and Best/Eleveight has that great Roca (and RS, I think?) line. Personally I would buy one of the Rocas for myself right now, I loved the way it felt. I haven't flown other brands' light wind kites recently, but it's worth doing some research on them just with the other few brands pushing the big kite innovations in the last couple years.

Return to “Kitesurfing”