Buying used lightwind kite Beginner Help

Forum for kitesurfers
dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Buying used lightwind kite Beginner Help

Postby dejavu » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 pm

It is early days in the time you have been kiting and if like me you will explore different kite and board sizes and styles until you reach your own conclusions in what works best. I would go second hand initially then once established buy some new gear and look after it. I would suggest a contra 15m as your light wind option.
Secondly get a bigger board also. Possibly a 150 or 160. Then you can get out on those light days. Mix and matching kite size and boards works well too. Many kiters don’t do this but it works well for me.
Be very careful buying second hand kites and lines.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:51 am

Xaxpop wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:05 pm
Is 2014 too old or will it be fine you think?
I would do more research before pulling the trigger on that Flite. They have been around a while and I'm not sure if the earlier gens are as good. Gen 5/6 are were a big bit better I think. I have Gen 6 with only 2 pulleys myself. Gen 6's were being cleared out recently with the Gen 7 out now.

I'm 165 lbs and had it out in gusts to 18 knots yesterday and only needed 1/2 depower:

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:03 am

The first two years of the Flite, which from a Google search looks like 2012 & 2013 models, the kite was 4-strut and sizes were 15m & 17.5m. These kites were too heavy to be great light wind kites, better as a big kite for very heavy riders in moderate wind.

In 2014, the Flite was changed to a 3-strut design, 14.5m and 17m sizes, and that's when the light wind magic of the Flite started. Big improvement in light-wind performance, right from the start of the 3-strut design. 2014 model looks like this
http://thekitebuddy.com/store/index.php ... f5n89a7u72

So confirm that Flite is 17m ( not 17.5m ), 3-struts ( not 4 ), and 2014 ( not earlier ) and I think you will be very happy with it.

Guigassa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: North orbit 2020 K8
Naish park 2012 K10
Wainman boss 2010 K12
Nobile 2HD 2019

Postby Guigassa » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:29 am

Buy a foil

CALencioni
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Sherman Island, Kite Beach Maui, Alameda, Coyote, 3rd
Gear: North Neos, Blade Fat Lady, Nobile XTR

Postby CALencioni » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:14 am

Xaxpop wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:52 pm
Hey guys!

I live in a place where the wind is usually pretty light and my largest current kite is 12m2 and it leaves me on the shore more often then not, and being a beginner (only ridden a few times) its frustrating since i want to ride and learn.

I currently own North Evo 9 & 12 -2015.

So i need to get a lightwind kite, im looking at used kites for economical reasons, still have a year left at uni so trying not to blow my bankaccount to badly.

Could i get some pointers in what to buy or can i get away with buying pretty much anything that is 16-17m2 and not to old?

I currently have gotten offers to buy:
Naish Draft 17 -2015
Liquid Force NRG Light Breeze 16m2 -2014
Blade Fat Lady v4 (new and quite expensive sadly).

I've tried to google for information but its super hard.
Any chance you guys want to pass on some of your vast knowledge and help out a beginner like me? :)

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
So after getting skunked on my 12M Neo and my Nobile NHP XTR 143x48, I bought a 17M Fat Lady and a 165x46 Litewave wing. Its the ultimate learner combo IMO. It allowed me to get more days, more hours, and more walks of shame faster because it handled such a wide wind spread.

I live in Alameda, CA. Light wind central. I'm 200lbs and can boost and have a great time in 11knots, can ride upwind in 8 knots. The fat lady loops incredibly fast. I'd say equal to or faster loops than my 12M Neo. I assume its because of the ultra thin leading edge which is considerably thinner than my Neo. The Fat Lady has great hang time as well. I also have a Nobile NHP XTR that I use as my regular board but it has no where near the low end the Litewave wing has.

Buy a Litewave wing and a fat lady and you'll be able to learn and once you progress can have some seriously fun freeride/freestyle sessions on the fat lady.

Return to “Kitesurfing”