Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New era of woo

Forum for kitesurfers
CALencioni
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Sherman Island, Kite Beach Maui, Alameda, Coyote, 3rd
Gear: North Neos, Blade Fat Lady, Nobile XTR
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "New era of woo"

Postby CALencioni » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:31 am

bc-sf wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:08 pm
CALencioni wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:59 pm
fzonatto wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 pm
WOO Discount
If you own a WOO, you get two benefits - you get a hefty discount on the annual subscription, AND we'll lock this price in for the next three years! How does it work? Install the latest app and connect your WOO device. The annual price will automatically be updated use it as a discount code to get the first year at an introductory price of $19.99 (vs. $69.99 for non WOO users). That's less than a cup of coffee per month ($1.67/month when billed annually). That not enough, if you subscribe with your WOO as a discount before June 1, 2019, we'll "grandfather" you into this price for the next three years. As we develop, the price for the subscription will increase, though if you use your WOO as a discount now, you'll be locked in ("grandfathered") at the initial purchase price point for three years!

We have a limited quantity available at this price tier, and we expect to reach the next (and even the next) tier rather quickly, so hurry up to get the best deal!

New users
For non-WOO users, the annual price is $69.99 ($5.83/month when billed annually, 42% off of the monthly price), and the monthly subscription fee is $9.99.
I don't get it,

1. Are they saying if I buy a woo before June 1st, I get grandfathered in as an existing user?

2. Do I need a woo to use this service, or can i just run this all through my apple watch without a woo? example- a free app in the iOS store is "sessions" and works at tracking my jump counts and height through my watch.

3. Is a "non-woo" user considered a user that owns a watch, pays the subscription fee for all metrics, but doesn't own a woo?
Their website is like most crap websites nowadays. All glossy hype and no real info (kinda reminds one of Fyre festival marketing!). It would be nice if they would show some example screenshots of the service.

I think you got it right from what i can tell- if you buy a woo and then sign up for their new 'service', you'll get the $20/year access. (or you can buy the woo and just use it as a list of your jump heights according to whatever algorithm).

No business can survive for long selling a one time widget (and forget customer service!) (long live xensr and trace!). We put such high expectations for a $200 nicknack. I would consider the subscription fee as a way to support the service and future product development, or at least server maintenance (ahem sessions app).
I can't imagine why anyone without a woo would want to pay $70/year to see what their smartwatch/phone already tells them for free. I don't imagine I would be willing to pay that with a woo, but $20 doesn't buy much these days (here in SF)

I ended up emailing woo and got this helpful response:

Answer to my Q1: "Yes that is true, but note that it's an annual plan that has the discount"
Answer to my Q2: " No [you do not need a woo to use the service], you can run this all together without a WOO as well [but you will not get jump height, just the GPS services]"

CALencioni
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Sherman Island, Kite Beach Maui, Alameda, Coyote, 3rd

Postby CALencioni » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 am

CaliRider wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:52 pm
bc-sf wrote:

No business can survive for long selling a one time widget (and forget customer service!) (long live xensr and trace!). We put such high expectations for a $200 nicknack. I would consider the subscription fee as a way to support the service and future product development, or at least server maintenance (ahem sessions app).
I can't imagine why anyone without a woo would want to pay $70/year to see what their smartwatch/phone already tells them for free. I don't imagine I would be willing to pay that with a woo, but $20 doesn't buy much these days (here in SF)
good points and like minds! :thumb: i think sessions app is worth $9 a month compared to the woo app but that still seems pricey. ? I know its free but they *should* charge for it. really. its saved me from buying a woo2 and woo 3 so thats worth $420 in savings right there! hahahahaha (dude, 420, who knew?)

what would you pay for it?

and yeah, $20 doesnt buy sh&t in SF. LOL
I'm running sessions on my watch 3 and all it does is show jump count, height, and calories burned. It does not show any GPS information and the time is broken as well. I've used it about 4 times but do not trust it.

I've been waiting for this functionality (GPS tracking) for awhile so I just sprung for a Woo to get grandfathered into the cheap monthly cost for "existing"users.

CALencioni
Rare Poster

Postby CALencioni » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:41 am

CALencioni wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 am
CaliRider wrote:
bc-sf wrote:

good points and like minds! :thumb: i think sessions app is worth $9 a month compared to the woo app but that still seems pricey. ? I know its free but they *should* charge for it. really. its saved me from buying a woo2 and woo 3 so thats worth $420 in savings right there! hahahahaha (dude, 420, who knew?)

I'm running sessions on my watch 3 and all it does is show jump count, height, and calories burned. It does not show any GPS information and the time is broken as well. I've used it about 4 times but do not trust it.

I've been waiting for this functionality (GPS tracking) for awhile so I just sprung for a Woo to get grandfathered into the cheap monthly cost for "existing"users.
Calirider, So you got me thinking and I checked and the reason GPS tracking doesn't work is because I hadn't enabled permissions for GPS with the app. DOH.

I will say, I'm not sure how accurate the jumps are but now I'll be able to compare between the woo and the sessions app. I have a feeling the jumps will be more accurate on the woo than the sessions watch app.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm

CALencioni wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:41 am
CALencioni wrote:
CaliRider wrote:

Calirider, So you got me thinking and I checked and the reason GPS tracking doesn't work is because I hadn't enabled permissions for GPS with the app. DOH.

I will say, I'm not sure how accurate the jumps are but now I'll be able to compare between the woo and the sessions app. I have a feeling the jumps will be more accurate on the woo than the sessions watch app.
Hahahaha! I did that once and was all “why isn’t it working !?!” When they told me to re-enable gps I felt like an idiot. Doh!
If I leave the hand that has the watch on it on the bar when jumping I get the best results. Have fun brother!!

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:59 pm

So, where can I get Woo premium?
I can't find it.

RunJac
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ørekroken Hvaler Norway, and Rossø kitebeach Sweden
Style: Freeride/ Boosting
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 8 and 12 2017, Epic Screamer 10 LTD 5G, Flysurfer Soul 12 and 8, Lieuwe shotgun 136×41
Crazyfly Raptor LTD 2017, Cabrinha Stylus.
Has thanked: 0

Postby RunJac » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Guttorm wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:59 pm
So, where can I get Woo premium?
I can't find it.
I guess you are a Android user like me. If that's so, you can't find it anywhere. You just have to be patient and wait or buy an iPhone :D
These users thanked the author RunJac for the post:
Guttorm (Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

crashtestoz
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Swithchblade 2016 12
Cabrinha Swithchblade 2017 10
Cabrinha Swithchblade 2019 12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby crashtestoz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:52 am

Long live the Sessions App. Best Apple Watch kiteboarding app out there. Shame there is no development any more. I think the teams is slowly shutting the service down ;(

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:33 pm

CALencioni wrote:

Had the same problem. You need to turn location services on in settings on your phone for the session app and poof! You'll get GPS data.
These users thanked the author CaliRider for the post:
CALencioni (Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:26 pm)

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:34 pm

crashtestoz wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:52 am
Long live the Sessions App. Best Apple Watch kiteboarding app out there. Shame there is no development any more. I think the teams is slowly shutting the service down ;(
I was messaging with them via facebook a few weeks ago. Seems like its a small team (one guy?) and said there's an update coming.... I hope so! Love my sessions app even with its bugs.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Re: New era of woo

Postby a99 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm

new update with sofware boosted heights again ? this time they do 30+ percent of real height :)?
These users thanked the author a99 for the post:
Surfkiternew (Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:50 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”