New era of woo

Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: "New era of woo"

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:41 am

Not much added value in my view! Only way to get more out of your session now is taking your phone or watch on the water, which you could do already before anyway! Do get the monthly subscription but than add to existing features as well! I know there are tons of possibilities and people who provided suggestions but the only feedback is they work on it! For now no subscription is required/preferred if they start working on it I might!

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 am

I don't want to publicise my spots, they are busy enough.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:50 am

SonnyRider wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 am
Hahaha +1 :D

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Exal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:04 am

I was about to get a woo but after seeing the mail I hate it even more. The whole 3.0 measures bigger than the 2.0 to sell more things and now a sub mode instead of upgrading the hardware ... Will probably go with the piq now.

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby mark van haze » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:55 am

I don't even know where to start. If this was an April's fool joke I would be applauding you.

Not only are you still selling the same hardware for the same, overinflated price but now you are trying to get more cash via a subscription? And furthermore, you now offer non Woo owners to fork over cash to you too? Must be some good stuff you guys are smoking.^

And before any Woo fans jump in here to tell me I am off my rocker - the "oh so great" addition of Freestyle trick recognition is pretty much junk, so much so that even their website link in the FAQ goes to a 404 page https://docs.woosports.com/docs/woospor ... icktionary
These users thanked the author mark van haze for the post:
Exal (Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:04 pm

As long as my current functionality does not go behind a paywall I am fine with them adding whatever payed functionality they come up with.

However, I personally think the prices are way to high.
I would expect this to be functionality in the app that could be unlocked with a one-time 10 (would probably buy) or 20 euro (maybe buy, but needs more features first).
This estimation is purely and unscientifically based on my other app purchases and what the perceived value I got for spending amount X.
A yearly recurring cost does not sit well with me for such limited functionality (even including roadmap items) unless maybe 5 euro a year.

Also big part of the talked about added value only works when others are also using this functionality (e.g. who is riding where).
IMHO it would make more sense to very aggressively price this functionality for everyone so you get a good user base first before talking about 10 a month(!) or 70 a year kind of pricing.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:52 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:04 pm
As long as my current functionality does not go behind a paywall I am fine with them adding whatever payed functionality they come up with.

However, I personally think the prices are way to high.
I would expect this to be functionality in the app that could be unlocked with a one-time 10 (would probably buy) or 20 euro (maybe buy, but needs more features first).
This estimation is purely and unscientifically based on my other app purchases and what the perceived value I got for spending amount X.
A yearly recurring cost does not sit well with me for such limited functionality (even including roadmap items) unless maybe 5 euro a year.

Also big part of the talked about added value only works when others are also using this functionality (e.g. who is riding where).
IMHO it would make more sense to very aggressively price this functionality for everyone so you get a good user base first before talking about 10 a month(!) or 70 a year kind of pricing.
They posted this recently on their facebook page:

Quick update on the new subscriptions, many questions have come in on how this affects current users that have a WOO. The short answer is, not at all, if you have (or buy) a WOO, you will have access to the same features as before, and you can post Big Air/Freestyle sessions as always.

WOO owners do get a discount on the subscription, so they can get these new features at a lower price (currently $19.99/yr vs $69.99/yr).

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:54 pm

SonnyRider wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 am

lulz...i guess the cats out the baG now.
i don't have the woo hardware at the moment...but i do only use the app for this reason.

(to find those.. "secret" uncrowded local spots)
Last edited by elguapo on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Oh geez. They add gps and social features which are typically free items elsewhere and charge for it? super confusing. y'all know i use the sessions app on my apple watch. it tracks gps speed maps distance and i also get my jumps and i also use it for surfing with waves caught wave maps etc and its 100% free. :jump:

But there are a ton more free gps map apps out there that do the same thing as woo "free ride" app is proposing to do, so why pay woo for it? Just for the community thing? i've been putting my sessions maps into strava and man, that's sick!!! and for free! i really don't get where woo is going with this other than squeezing existing customers for more money. woo used to cost $250, and now its $160 ...and now they're charging a subscription? perhaps they should have kept the price higher in the first place? :?:

who the heck is going to bring their phone with them kiting? like WUT?!?! :lol:

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Strava has a way bigger market. No comparison. Even any other gadget has bigger market than Woo.
Thats why. I get it, they need to make money somehow.

Return to “Kitesurfing”