Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "New era of woo"

Postby Exal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:00 pm

CaliRider wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:57 pm
Oh geez. They add gps and social features which are typically free items elsewhere and charge for it? super confusing. y'all know i use the sessions app on my apple watch. it tracks gps speed maps distance and i also get my jumps and i also use it for surfing with waves caught wave maps etc and its 100% free. :jump:

But there are a ton more free gps map apps out there that do the same thing as woo "free ride" app is proposing to do, so why pay woo for it? Just for the community thing? i've been putting my sessions maps into strava and man, that's sick!!! and for free! i really don't get where woo is going with this other than squeezing existing customers for more money. woo used to cost $250, and now its $160 ...and now they're charging a subscription? perhaps they should have kept the price higher in the first place? :?:

who the heck is going to bring their phone with them kiting? like WUT?!?! :lol:
Here is my theory :lol:

So they went and bought yachts with the initial money but then sales started to decline and they were thinking: FK BOIS!!! The next payment for the yachts is due where do we get the money?? Let's just release a new one that has bigger numbers! BRILLIANT ... sales started decreasing again and since the only person not on the yachts was the weekly loser in mafia they needed a new plan. BOIS I am paying for a gym but I'll never work out, maybe we can make something with a subscriptions and just release this code we have lying around as premium features? ...

mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby mark van haze » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:49 pm

As I said :jump:

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Rather than needing to find a phone or watch that can stand up to a harsh salt water environment perhaps design it so that the Woo app can extract GPS data from GoPro either directly or from offloaded video files. That could be slick. Many of us already have a GoPro and they seem to be built tough.

And speaking of GoPro, why hasn't Woo come out with a WOOvie Editor that works for Windows so that we can blend Woo stats with GoPro video without having to own a Mac?
These users thanked the author Tony in FL for the post:
Guttorm (Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Tony in FL wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:33 pm
Rather than needing to find a phone or watch that can stand up to a harsh salt water environment perhaps design it so that the Woo app can extract GPS data from GoPro either directly or from offloaded video files. That could be slick. Many of us already have a GoPro and they seem to be built tough.

And speaking of GoPro, why hasn't Woo come out with a WOOvie Editor that works for Windows so that we can blend Woo stats with GoPro video without having to own a Mac?
direct offload video from gopro with gps? dude that was so 2016!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
https://www.iksurfmag.com/kitesurfing-n ... uch-video/
seriously that is siiiiiick! from what i know the sessions i use was made by xenser but what the hell ever happened with this video edit thingy??!? cause now that I've seen that i WANT IT! :jump:

pmania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Workum
Favorite Beaches: Nice beach at the sea, with some good waves!
Style: freestyle
Gear: Switch Legacy v2 9m, Element v3 9m & Nitro v3 12m +v6 10m 2 x Controller 3 and MJ 140x43 Pansh A15 18m
Naish Aero 14m North Rhino 2009 10m Jaime Pro 2005 M
Old & broken: North Rhino's 2005 10m+14m Rhino 2006 14m and vegas 2007 7m F-One Impact 2006 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby pmania » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:56 pm

CaliRider wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 pm
seriously that is siiiiiick! from what i know the sessions i use was made by xenser but what the hell ever happened with this video edit thingy??!? cause now that I've seen that i WANT IT! :jump:
I use a hackintosh for the woovie editor it works, but it isn't recommended ofcourse. But if you have time and know a little bit about installing different operating systems like linux for example and dual booting you can try it out, you can try to boot it from USB first without installing! Or buy new PC components just do a search with google for cheap hackintosh pc, there's a video for one for $65 but you have to order a cpu from aliexpress which could take maybe 2 months to deliver so and then you still need time to install etc. <- checked that the cpu isn't available anymore but there's alternatives seller's cpu's most of them will work also as long as it isn't an "exotic" cpu. An old second hand pc or something could work too ofcourse.

Maybe you can try to run macOS inside a vm like virtualbox for example, but I tried that myself but didn't succeed. But maybe it is possible, since tech evolves pretty quickly. And it will be slow.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:51 am

New app is garbage. Nothing works. Server errors all the time. Can’t post to Facebook and any social stuff. Time to rollback.
Boo. :(

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:43 am

Woo is like facebook, if you get stuck in the bubble, you cant see in from looking outside.

Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber

Postby Goavegas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 am

Last time I used the Woo I came off the water to notice I’d lost the clip that close the mount,got lucky and didn’t lost the Woo.I went to buy a replacement and find out that it is going to cost €35, a little to much,pheraps I wan’t use the Woo anymore.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:15 am

Xensr to me always looked like being potentially the best of the bunch. The Trace also had GPS tracking and the ability to automatically edit and post info on GoPro videos. Shame both of them went out of business!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:12 pm

I feel sorry for those woo guys. They ain't getting rich. Yet.
They are trying to build a platform, a social network and service market place. But so many people have been spoiled (and cheated) by Google, Facebook and Amazon they don't want to pay for anything.
I wish them success, but don't have high hopes.
( From a non Woo user) I use Garmin .

Return to “Kitesurfing”