Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

No need for a release system/safety?

Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: No need for a release system/safety?

Postby downunder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 am

Exactly.

Can Toby lock this thread and can go in the history? I mean, the most fun on this forum I've had was when building the boards....

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:44 am

This thread needs an emergency quick release.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am

One you can reload?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 am

Nooooooooo

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:53 am

I thought u out? ;)

Here u go, pics for non believers. Last two Wichard release, no leash, Nico Parlier, World Champ, first two pics you know who, no leash.

https://www.truespiritphotos.com/Waters ... -xM3JJx8/A

https://www.truespiritphotos.com/Waters ... -bHzvjnb/A

https://www.truespiritphotos.com/Waters ... -WXRZFfz/A

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos ... 427629.jpg

And yet, there will always be non believers and ney seyers... Don’t do this and that. They do not win, they follow.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:12 pm

It's not that no one believed you, its that your advocating it. Do whatever the hell you want, but don't blab about it if its not appropriate for general consumption, or at least don't act like such a drama queen when others predictably kick in with due diligence.

Racers be racers. They use specialized gear for a specialized purpose, quite often with specialized support. Suggesting that something is appropriate just because the racers do it all the time is not a sound argument.

The majority here are recreational riders who should operate under a more general and safety conscious set of standards.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
james (Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:25 pm) • Kamikuza (Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:21 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:52 pm

It is the same argument you are using. How would u know what's appropriate when after a while a recall might happen?

The majority of us on the water on my local are recreational riders who have distant advantage of our environment. We are not Nico, or Olly but one day maybe.

Saying that something is not safe is related to exactly that - environment and risk.

Unfortunately I have no pics of us riding so using what I have from my local.

Everything has its place. condemning people who do not fit in 'general' picture is wrong.

And people are quick to condemn something they have no clue about.

Im not advocating anything, just saying horses for courses...if that does not resonate with someone, not my problem.
If someone doesn't like it, not my problem either. But if is not said, how would one make an informed decision?

Riding suicide is perfectly valid if your environment is made for it. Or u are.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Perhaps its your approach, but I am not the only one who seems to think you have advocated the use of the wichard shackle without leash on numerous occasions. Case in point directly above.

Do as you wish, but use a little common sense when posting on an international forum in threads that can have a direct impact on the safety of others.

It's not hard to find pictures of people the world over riding motorcycles without helmets. It's another entirely to represent it as perfectly acceptable.

I find it hard for you not to see that any advocating of less than leashed quick release with disabling safety on a power kite is simply irresponsible in a sport where we clearly have a degree of risk that requires adequate safety consideration to ensure it's viability and future.

Access may not be a consideration of yours, but it is for many who read here without your wealth of experience to guide them.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
justbob (Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 am
foilholio wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 pm
Easy reloading is far over rated. The release should really only be used were reload is not even a consideration. You have accidental releases, but that is just poor design. You shouldn't be fixing a leaky bucket with another bucket.
This is where I picked up the belief that you believe releases (at least re-loadable ones) are not necessary. Can you clarify where I am wrong on this?
Ok well it would help if you pointed out the exact bit but I would guess it's this
The release should really only be used were reload is not even a consideration.
as it's worded "the release". "Used" in this sentence refers to the operation of the device not the existence of the device. I guess I can see some potential for confusion, but given others have understood my intent I wouldn't blame my use of language. If I give you a clearer writing of what I intended which is , A release is needed, Easy reload is not needed, Situations where you intentional need to release should not need easy reloading, Where easy reload could be needed say a accidental release a better solution is to prevent the accidental release and in that regard someone like Mr Lenten would not now have a broken leg. Maybe with some careful analysis of word definitions you can correct your understanding.

I am not angry, I do think you might have a problem understanding people. Like with Toby it was quite clear what he wrote but you took it totally opposite.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:17 pm
Perhaps its your approach, but I am not the only one who seems to think you have advocated the use of the wichard shackle without leash on numerous occasions. Case in point directly above.

Do as you wish, but use a little common sense when posting on an international forum in threads that can have a direct impact on the safety of others.

It's not hard to find pictures of people the world over riding motorcycles without helmets. It's another entirely to represent it as perfectly acceptable.

I find it hard for you not to see that any advocating of less than leashed quick release with disabling safety on a power kite is simply irresponsible in a sport where we clearly have a degree of risk that requires adequate safety consideration to ensure it's viability and future.

Access may not be a consideration of yours, but it is for many who read here without your wealth of experience to guide them.
It is called a democracy. Your approach is self censorship, lets see:

"Self-censorship occurs when journalists deliberately manipulate their expression out of fear of, or deference to, the sensibilities or preferences (actual or perceived) of others and without overt pressure from any specific party or institution of authority."

You guys really think that masses of newbies will rush to buy a Wichard and not using a leash, or ride suicide, well, sorry to say but that is soooo wrong thinking.

We are all quite skilled individuals in here, this discussion is not for newbies, and Im surprised we even think of them.

Again, you guys are not condemning the obvious, like Kevin L. riding suicide and posting a vid for the World to see.

None of you. And yet, when I write the obvious, you condemn my actions.

And that is what Ive found interesting.

I guess Im not Kevin. He does not need to write, one vid is saying 10000 words ;)

Yes, Easy reload is overrated, just like releasing is. It is obvious huge number of people never release and never will. It does not mean Im against it, but its a fact hard to swallow for many.

Without taking the environment into account, skill etc this is all nothing but worthless discussion.

On the positive note, more and more ppl build their own bars and release. Nothin wrong with that, infact building one now.

Im out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”