Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Ocean Rodeo Jester

Postby andylc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 am

Anyone on here who could advise whether this might be a good directional option for a skinny arse (65kg) rider? I’m in UK so waves when present are usually part of a generally choppy mush, or are not large even if they are better behaved. I have a standard surfboard which I use strapless, but the problem is when it’s higher wind and there is some swell I inevitably just use the TT as I know I can have loads of fun both jumping / ramping off the waves, and carving them to the extent you can with a TT. Looking for a good directional board in these conditions, which I’ll likely use strapped and basically do the same sort of thing with a bit more wave riding.
Cheers!

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo Jester

Postby BrunoC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:21 pm

I weigh what you weigh and think it could be a ideal setup. I ride the jester with quad setup for lighter wind days when I can’t go for a boosting session and switch to thruster if I want to ride it windy. It seems to gybe easier than other directionals that I have ridden too. I don’t go in the waves much but unless you are getting barreled it will work very well.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:05 pm

I'd actually go with the standard Mako. The Jester is best strapless, the Mako 140 is really fun to carve and then boost with as well. It's like riding a snowboard in powder. The Jester would be more like riding a surfboard it just smooths out the chop, good for strapless air (although I suck at them) if you want to try that.

Basically the Jester is closer to your surfboard, much better strapless, Mako closer to a twintip and better with straps.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:07 pm

I'd actually go with the standard Mako. The Jester is best strapless, the Mako 140 is really fun to carve and then boost with as well. It's like riding a snowboard in powder. The Jester would be more like riding a surfboard it just smooths out the chop, good for strapless air (although I suck at them) if you want to try that.

Basically the Jester is closer to your surfboard, much better strapless, Mako closer to a twintip and better with straps.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:05 pm

+ mako, i have both 140 and 150
I have a north surfboard for strapless,but in English onshore mush mako is fantastic

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Tried the mako and didn’t like it. Love my twin tip it’s just a directional I’m looking for.

oceanromeo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 64kg
Style: Foil
Gear: Slingshot UFO 4, 5, 6 and 8. Phantasm PFI633 and PTM684, Hope Craft V1.

Postby oceanromeo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Hey andylc I’m UK and have a Jester. I’m about your weigh and ride it mostly in south coast chop and small waves. I ride mine strapless and in thruster setup (yet to try quad.) It’s a super fun board. It’s concave bottom helps to smooth out the chop and I find it loves to pop off the small waves that I like to go out in. You’ll have a lot of fun with it in our typical conditions and riding it with the straps supplied though I expect you’ll gravitate to strapless if that’s what you’ve been used to on your surfboard.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm

If you are using the standard surfboard for strapless riding, can I suggest something like the Naish Global series for strapped riding in heavy "bomb crater" chop. basically something well finned up, or even Quad, with a short gunny outline.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:46 am

I would describe the OR Jester as the ideal lake surfboard. It's super fun to slash 2 foot lake chop waves with lots of kite power. It's great for strapless airs. The concave cuts through all the lake chop and is easy on the knees.

On the ocean in real waves however, it's not really a surfboard. This board needs kite power at all times.

For what you say you are looking for it might be a good fit.
I never tried it with straps.

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Postby Jwoo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm going to have to throw out one more vote for the Jester. We got one for my wife to learn strapless riding and I liked it so much I got one for myself. In real surf I ride a Tomo Vanguard, but on no surf days, or in mushy onshore conditions, I love riding the Jester. It's great in chop, super fun in mushy waves, I ride it mostly in junky conditions. It's so loose, it's great in waves that only have one or two quick sections to work with. I'm a little heavier 85 kilos, and still love the board. I ride it as a quad, as a thruster I keep breaking the fins loose on harder turns. The quad setup seems, to me, to have more drive and control.

Return to “Kitesurfing”