Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Jester

Postby andylc » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:29 pm

I like the look of the Vanguard but there are no boards in the Firewire range that you can fit straps to. In mushy high wind UK situations I don’t see many riders on strapless directionals looking like they’re having fun. Pretty much all the directional riders that are killing it are in straps.
Alternative is Mako Duke but I think it might be a bit big for me.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 am

I do wonder if I didn’t give the Mako enough of a chance - at the time I was looking to replace my TT. Does anyone use the Mako as a second board for onshore waves / chop??

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Postby Jwoo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm

The Tomo boards (Vanguard) are all strapless and I don't think would be what your are looking for, maybe an Evo, but it's not made to ride strapped. Riding in your conditions, I think a Jester, or something small, lower volume, and of similar design would be your best bet. It has the option for straps and is very loose. In conditions you describe, I don't think you really need a traditional surfboard because you really won't be riding down the line "surfing" the wave. Your looking to make quick carves on a short section or boost air. Although I've never ridden a Jester strapped, I bet it's a good alternative for you. Hopefully someone who's ridden it strapped will have a better take on how it behaves with straps. I've ridden a Mako in surf before and didn't like it. In Junk surf with high wind, I prefer the Jester over a twin tip. I can't really say why other than it just "feels" better. Also, I think for what you are looking to do, a Duke would be too big. If you are ever planning to travel, or find cleaner, more powerful down the line surf though, the Jester does not work well.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks - that is what I thought, I can have plenty of fun with my normal twin tip anyway so a Mako likely wouldn't be that different of an experience, but without the flex and pop I already have with my Shotgun. For bigger surf (if I ever got good enough) I've still got my normal strapless surfboard assuming I don't snap it sooner or later (its not a kite specific board).

ladomi
Medium Poster

Postby ladomi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:24 pm

I love my Jester. I'm 75 kg, and have only ridden it strapless for 2 seasons. Primarily on a Lake and I concur whole-heartedly that it is fantastic in those choppy conditions with 2-4' waves. Board is so smooth and very light. Also had several seesions in Cape Hatteras in side onshore conditions in lightish (15 knots) to strong (25 knots) wind with anywhere from waist to head high waves and it was great. I like it much better than my 5'2 Vanguard in those conditions. Haven't tried to ride it strapped yet as I have been having plenty of fun. I would eventually like to try it strapped but have delusions of grandeur of being like Airton so trying to figure out strapless airs. Ha ha!

I think you would love the board and OR does have a 60 day guarantee.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:33 pm

andylc wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 pm
Thanks - that is what I thought, I can have plenty of fun with my normal twin tip anyway so a Mako likely wouldn't be that different of an experience,
It’s actually quite a different experience to the point you have to give it a couple of sessions to get the most out of the Mako. Not better or worse but different, especially in chop & small waves. Think of it as part way to the surfboard feel especially if you put the larger fin on one end. Most folks here that have tried them stick with them, if that means anything. :bye:

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm very tempted by the Jester. Can also get last years Liquid Force Space Craft super cheap but I'm not sure how this would perform, more of a semi-directional twin tip without any real volume.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Was all set to go for a Jester but was offered a really good deal on a 2019 Carbon Brunotti Biscuit which I’m very tempted by, similar shape to a Vanguard but with Carbon construction and can take straps. For those with experience am I likely to get a lot more out of a board like this or should I be persisting with my shortboard which is a nice handcrafted fibreglass surfboard I got second hand off fleabay, but really light so a bit twitchy, and likely to break sooner or later...

Return to “Kitesurfing”