Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Plummet Mutant V3

Postby plummet » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Ok,

Here's Rev 1 and Rev 2.

I've pulled the front in 10mm and the back 20mm to give more speed control and better carving.
Rear quad moved back a to align closer to sb quad fin spacing.
Front fin moved back a tad also.
Mutant V3 Rev 1.png
Mutant V3 Rev 2.png
These users thanked the author plummet for the post (total 2):
or6 (Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:03 pm) • RalfsB (Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Looks cool. In my light wind waters I’d go a couple cm wider, but that should shred when its big/blowing.
I’ve never ridden a board with 15mm concave so cant say a lot about that, except, it’s a lot.

Maybe if the tail is flexible you could have a continuous rocker through the quad end, with the concave fading out it would effectively be progressive down the middle, more continuous in the rail, and hard carving could flex the back end a bit, also profiling your rear fin bases if you wanted to dial another 3-5mm or so in later. Just ideas that come to mind, don’t know how relevant to your riding style and build approach. I have enjoyed some boards with flex built into the nose to soften chops that hit harder than ideal but that probably wouldnt be good for a mutant.
Board design is fun and its always good to see your ideas and crations!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ

Postby plummet » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:41 pm

This board will essentially be used 20+ knots, Below that i'm typically hydrofoiling.
That said the last board was too power hungry and inefficient upwind. The gap between hydrofoil and wave mutant efficiency was HUGE. This design is attempting to steal some efficiency back so the gap between hf and mutant isnt so high.

Yes 15mm is a lot. I wonder if its too much. But if will flatten the rocker across the waterline and create more efficiency. So Its worth a try.
The last board had progressive rocker, 6mm in the middle and nothing at the tips. It made for nice carving but again a lost some efficiency. So I will try concave throughout the board this time.
I am going to try so flex in the tips. However with higher rocker and concave in may end up stiff whether i like it or not.

hahah.. yes i do make contraptions that are typicallu not main stream,,, it suits my weirdness which isnt main stream either!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:08 am

Mutant V3 is back on after a month or so off for bike rack design and build.

Here's a Cad Rendering of the design..... oooooohhhhh looking good. A couple more weeks of me fluffing fine tuning with design dimensions and then i'll hit go and start cutting bamboo.
2019_mutant Render 2.jpg
2019 Mutant Render 1.jpg

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:15 am

plummet wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:08 am

Here's a Cad Rendering of the design..... oooooohhhhh looking good. A couple more weeks of me fluffing fine tuning with design dimensions and then i'll hit go and start cutting bamboo.

2019_mutant Render 2.jpg2019 Mutant Render 1.jpg
These pics make me want to waste time playing with the renderer in my cad software.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:01 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:15 am
plummet wrote:

These pics make me want to waste time playing with the renderer in my cad software.
Indeed. But is it a waste of time if it helps you visualize the design?

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:35 am

plummet wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:01 am
tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:15 am
plummet wrote:

Indeed. But is it a waste of time if it helps you visualize the design?
If I thought it added a lot besides looking cool, then I'd say "no", but I think the standard simple real-time graphics work well enough for the foil boards I'm drawing. :)

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 am

plummet wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:41 pm
This board will essentially be used 20+ knots, Below that i'm typically hydrofoiling.
That said the last board was too power hungry and inefficient upwind. The gap between hydrofoil and wave mutant efficiency was HUGE. This design is attempting to steal some efficiency back so the gap between hf and mutant isnt so high.

Yes 15mm is a lot. I wonder if its too much. But if will flatten the rocker across the waterline and create more efficiency. So Its worth a try.
The last board had progressive rocker, 6mm in the middle and nothing at the tips. It made for nice carving but again a lost some efficiency. So I will try concave throughout the board this time.
I am going to try so flex in the tips. However with higher rocker and concave in may end up stiff whether i like it or not.

hahah.. yes i do make contraptions that are typicallu not main stream,,, it suits my weirdness which isnt main stream either!
15mm of concave will work fine. I think all mako enthusiast will agree. I tend to think that compared to a flatter bottom it is however more power hungry. It could also be that it is the oval vs square tips of the board that make my mako's more power hungry compared to boards of similar surface area.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:31 am

There is no reason at all for concave to be more power hungry. Original mako /only one i rode/ was power hungry because oval tips but mostly HUGE rocker.
It is BIG problem to make efficient board with good control and chop damping. Basically it cannot be done. From small flatter board vs bigger more rockered board i tend to find second work somehow better.

I think Plummet that your design is close to perfect, but details are very unpredictable and without prototyping you will just never know. I mean mostly fin placement and minute rocker and flex changes.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:12 pm

In fact concave makes a board more efficient. It flattens the board across the waterline reducing the rocker effect. More rocker and more rounded tips reduce efficiency.

I agree. I won't know how it will go until I build.

Ps I have since dailed back the rocker to 12mm since posting the drawings.

Return to “Kitesurfing”