Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Plummet Mutant V3

Postby Janus » Tue May 05, 2020 4:18 pm

RalfsB wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:39 pm
Janus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm
That looks like a nice board but it isn’t exactly a mutant by my standard.
These pics show the board in its "twintip" configuration. There is a lot of room to shift the footstraps back and fins can be changed as needed (the board has the standard FCS inserts).
Ah ok, sorry! I take my words back then!
Also scoop and rocker difference?

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Tue May 05, 2020 4:38 pm

Janus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:18 pm
RalfsB wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:39 pm
Janus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm
That looks like a nice board but it isn’t exactly a mutant by my standard.
These pics show the board in its "twintip" configuration. There is a lot of room to shift the footstraps back and fins can be changed as needed (the board has the standard FCS inserts).
Ah ok, sorry! I take my words back then!
Also scoop and rocker difference?
There is a difference in shape, the rear end is a thumb and the nose is rounded. But on the bottom things are the same for both ends: deep single concave in the middle of the board and flat/slight V in the fin area.

knyfe
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby knyfe » Tue May 05, 2020 4:42 pm

I wanted to rebuild Plummer’s design but ended up buying a LF Moon Patrol as they were giving them away for nearly free. I’ll see how I like it in the waves.

dirk8037
Rare Poster
Gear: 145 Underground, SP 19 DL, 13m Takoon Furia, 9/7 Waroo 2007

Postby dirk8037 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi,

gona capture this very interesting post.

I have been smiling for years about a friend that stick fanaticaly to its old mutant.
But since I was on Sal in January the Idea of having grows on me.
I did not had a Direcional by hand on that trip but had to admit that with the 5 lines of white water and the more than cross on shore I would not have had hat much of fun.
So I contemplated about maybe having a Mutant.

Shortly after that I also stumbled over your post.

Although checking your aproach, I kind of ended up in the oposite. At least I think

Surfing on a TT in waves I always felt a main backdraw, which is the backfoot havieness that is needed.
With tight turns I alwasy found my old underground with its progressive kick better in thighter pockets and
smaller waves than my XRide. You had to slow down and lack teh speed out of the turn.
Goning down the line and off the top I also would like to end up with more pressure on the frontfoot, in direction of haveing 50/50, with riskiing to pearl or the tip getting sucked at the water.

With your wider tail I wondered if that is not getting worse.

So mind surfing I ended up with something like that.
150 cm with -10cm off set stance
Main width under the front foot to mid of board. to tip continous to straightish.
Flatish rocker mid to frontfoot then continous, 6cm

From mid to back more pulled in tail to be able to dig it deep in to the water and having curve in the outline
Due to the shortness a swallow would come handy since it provides still rail and witdh under the backfoot but less area and more flex when pushing through turns.
Rocker progressive to maybe 3,5-4 cm.

Haveing in mind that the other direction is mainly for upwind I would straighten out the part from tip to halfway between (then) backfoot and outline apex and tail to maximize rail grip.
With the curvier outline the tail should be out of the water at an exceptable amount.
One possible Version cam to my mind when messing arround with shape 3D.
Maybe if having something like a winger with a rounded tump behing, creating propper water release and sink the rail going upwind better and a corner that gives bite. Since I do no expect myself doing full railed bottom turns it should be when in front not in teh way. The you could even flip the nose a bit more. I that really can help stop from pearling... I have slight doubts - but looks mor consequent

Feedback highly appreciated.

DIrk
Attachments
mutant.png

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:31 am

I am always curious as to why some seek a Mutant Dirk, I know why Plummet is, but what is your reasons?

Instead of a good strapped waveboard that is.

Are you mostly riding TT style, and powered freestyle also, in the waves, thus a waveboard would not be as good, true.

Around here we only see one guy keeping his old Mutant, simply instead of a TT, so fun for allround freestyle and jumping in mushy conditions or when wind only for big kites (not for waves really), as otherwise he is on his waveboard.

8) Peter

dirk8037
Rare Poster
Gear: 145 Underground, SP 19 DL, 13m Takoon Furia, 9/7 Waroo 2007

Postby dirk8037 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi Peter,

I guess its answering imperfection with imperfection and a specialty board for trips beside my inherrent curiosity and need to tinker arround
Living inland TT and Foil is the choice. Now when my 8 on the foil gets to scary the 10 is perfect for getting wanked arround with the TT.
Before foil it was rather the door than the Diri. I could never get something out of cruising with them on the lake.
I do not want to miss the physical thing about kiting. At times I wondered if struggling with my old 19 Speed would not be the better choice than the effortless high wire balancing.

And I do not see it mandatory to rip in surf. I have been out at Manawa with a TT and had quite some fun (although the above stated limitations). I have seen S Lothe back then with a TT and shortline tearing it appart and there is alot potential left.

Still having an Evo and beeing able to get along with it unstrapped on trips I hardly had conditions where it seemed to be really worthwhile riding it. In most of the cases it was ok, but not more. And if I compare it with the performance of the average Bloke (Sal or in StPO North Sea) is showing on his Diri I rather tend to look for a different way. In regards of the own limitations and the absence of wave that really demand for that .

And since I am hardly going repeatedly to the same places and also have a Surfboards in the Lugage there is always the need to minimalize.
Since pure Surf is a must, the combination of Wave Diri or Surfboard and Foil (again ) is something I consider
as well as now the Mutant as a replacement for the TT when some wave are to be expected.

As you mentioned the Straped Directional. Here I am simply missing having tested something that works.
Having Straps I want the board to be trimmed out of that position. I never found that.
The Evo is the best example. For riding you have to stand at least 10 forward of the position you want to ride the wave.
The oldschool boards I know always have been to narrow for my clumsy footwork.

By the way my frame is 190/90, kiting since 16y surfing for 20.
So I guess dims of 150 by 45 feel just right.

Dirk

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:04 pm

I agree Dirk. For a more surf feel pull the tail in more. I wanted more upwind performance. Which I got by widening the tail, But I did loose a bit of surf feel.

I have adjustment of 60-120 of center for binding placement.

Your design looks good. The rounded nose option will be better for surf, the cut off nose better upwind.
Progressive rocker with a 6cm nose kick is the way I believe. 3-5cm is too shallow, particularly for short steep waves.
Don't forget about concave. 10-15mm is a good range and gives you more efficiency across the waterline.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks Dirk, these arguments makes sense.

You seldom got waves to ride, and you want an easy to travel with board, and still more fun than a TT.

Yes you can ride waves just fine with a TT, and even better with a mutant, thats for sure.

Agree that waveboard strap trim can be a science in itself, but once you know how to, it just clicks for everything :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”