BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Storm Hannah

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Tomorrow sunday in UK it will be 0 to 5 knots it seems :naughty:
Depends where... plenty of places will be 20mph tomorrow on the east coast. Enjoy the high winds, should be hitting Denmark early morning (?) p.s would love to kite Denmark any recommendations ?

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Got out yesterday, pretty gusty but a nice direction for me. Had some sketchy ass-dip-slow-down gusts come through. Got some speed and hit a nice kicker, felt good for about half a second but then it just felt weird. Kite wasn't really pulling right, it was waaaay too far over one side of the window. I fell out the sky, I had time go in ass first, gave my taint and balls a jolly good spanking. Checked the PIQ 9.5m ... not sure how much was free fall and how my my kite did catch me, but man, that was a sketchy jump.

Regarding why kite when it's windy? Better jumps. It's a challenge, board control, grab yer balls and hit the kicker, all that. But when the wind drops a bit, wow do you feel confident.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:54 pm

I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Hannah Storm the ESPN journalist. Must have been my dyslexia kicking in. :D

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:09 am

Toby although I sometimes enjoy talking about it I certainly don’t go out for that reason. As far as ‘chicks’go I’ve been with my other half since 2002 and we’re tying the knot (finally) in July. I love the feeling of going out in stormy condition, that perfect balance of adrenaline and understanding that you’re an irrelevance within the wider universe is quite empowering

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 pm

I did. A fantastic 7m Rebel 2018 session at a gusty Whitstable with flat water and 4-5 other kites near the Street. Didn’t fancy the crowds and swell waves at Camber or the drive to Uncle Toms. Took a chance; I don’t consider myself a lucky kiter but this was a dream....sorry mate. Sometimes it’s best not to know. 😁

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:29 pm

High sustained winds are one thing, winds which go from 12 kts. to 50 kts. in a few seconds are quite another. North Sea storms can cause the former, thunderstorms or squalls the later. Fatalities and injuries have happened with both but more so in the sudden violence of thunderstorms/squalls. So, stay out of squalls and kite within your abilities in higher sustained winds accepting that your risk of injury or worse goes up in such conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”