Local Beach: East Coast, Scotland.
Style: Freeride/Wave
Gear: Ozone 12,10,7
Airush Sector/Cypher.
Zeeko W&G foil.
Brand Affiliation: Buy my own kit.

Re: Wetsuit for a fat bloke ;-)

Postby ScoopZ » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:10 pm

A back zip wetsuit would probably work best for your physique, the shoulders are more of a worry generally than waist as this is is where a suit goes first.

Broad cut suits like O'neill, xcel and c-skins, stay away from waife cuts like rip-curl.
Get a back zip that suits your height first. Boadwise were great for O'neill but the store was gutted with a fire a few years ago. There is also St. Vedas at Coldingham, you can try on suits there. Longer drive though.

Skymonster are online only, no bricks and mortar to try before you buy but Jake would happily help you out.
These users thanked the author ScoopZ for the post:
sergei Scotland (Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:27 pm)
Rating: 10%

sergei Scotland
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks Ronnie, this chart - the same as any other manufacturers i could find is a perfect example of my problem: i.e for my height 6'2 and chest 42 and weight of 211 I am XL or XLT, but this has waist of 36.5 and I am more like 39 which is XXL (waist 38.5).
Even if i take my trousers waist if 38 I am still XXL. I know I will go back to proper 38 waist and 93 kg after a few sessions but even then it is a bit too far from 36.5 "required" by Excel.
Bum! :lol:
As I mentioned the only make which is 36-38 waist for 42-44 chest is Mystic :thumb:
But I am at the low chest number of 42 for the range - which might be OK as people say Mystic is very tight fit - correct?
It looks like there is no other manufacturer which is even close to supplying for slightly overweight folks.

Question is ( :( sad ):
if i go for stretchy premium neopren - would i be OK in a 5 mm wetsuit which is designed for waist 36 or 37 with my waist of 39.5?
Would the suit "adjust" after a few sessions?
Or will it just rip at the seams?
Considering they claim 100% stretch for new materials extra 2/38 = 5.5% of stretch should not really make any difference,right?
Ta!
Last edited by sergei Scotland on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nixmatters
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: custom made

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Sergei, have you considered a made to measure wetsuit? Can be pricey indeed, but that's your only chance to get a snug comfortable fit, with almost no flush and a long life too.
Yesterday I was talking to a guy with measurements quite similar to yours. After trying on plenty of wetsuits he had ended up buying the latest Ripcurl Flashbomb Heatseaker. Awesome suit indeed, one of the warmest and stretchiest in the market, but after just few sessions the bonded seams where the mesh skin and jersey lined neoprene join had started giving up due to overstretching. Exactly what makes this suit so warm and stretchy, makes it less resistant to heavy stress. Need to mention though that Ripcurl are known to have a slimfit cut. And the Majestic is not amongst the strethiest suits out there.
Back zip would be easier for you to get in, but likely to be more loose in the chest (armpits) and shoulders.

There are a few companies in the UK making wetsuits to order, just google them and give them a call. They should know how to make a suit that would fit you great and last long. In bulk production the material direction (think max stretch direction) needs to maximize yield. In your case a tailor made suit can be made stretchier exactly where you need it - waist.

And give Jake/Skymonster a call - he's local to might be able to help you out.
sergei Scotland wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:57 pm
Sad but i have a 39.5 (100) waist which and only 41.7 or 42 chest, 96 kg 211 pounds.
Add 6'2 height (188) and the only make which fits me (almost) on paper seems to be Mystic XL which is 41-44 chest and 35-38 waist. As I am still comfortable wearing 38 jeans i guess this should work. I tried it actually and while it is difficult to get wetsuit up my bum it seems comfortable enough, but i'd love to try and find something better fitting as chest is like at the bottom of the range and I do have some loose neopren in the underarm area.

I am also somewhat worried that suit will not live long because of too much stretch in the waist (39.5 where designed to be 36-38).
Should I simply go for stretchiest neopren - i.e. Majestic and hope for the best?
Any other makes do sizes for fat blokes? I am basically looking for bigger waist for chest 42 -- most makes do only 34-36 waist for 42 chest?
Or should i ignore waist number as most people say that chest and height are most important?
Sorry for a stupid question - buying online makes it difficult to try several makes really...
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
sergei Scotland (Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:20 pm)

sergei Scotland
Medium Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:48 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:10 pm
A back zip wetsuit would probably work best for your physique, the shoulders are more of a worry generally than waist as this is is where a suit goes first.

Broad cut suits like O'neill, xcel and c-skins, stay away from waife cuts like rip-curl.
Get a back zip that suits your height first. Boadwise were great for O'neill but the store was gutted with a fire a few years ago. There is also St. Vedas at Coldingham, you can try on suits there. Longer drive though.

Skymonster are online only, no bricks and mortar to try before you buy but Jake would happily help you out.
Thanks Scoop, C-skins classic seems to be on the par with Mystic in waist size-at least on paper. I missed this actually.
Excel and Oneil seem to be for normal folks - again on paper, but I guess you know more than sizing chart tells me :D
And I know Jake does not have a shop, but thanks for suggestion and a hint on his pricing.
At the moment I am returning a Mystic Drip 6/4 front zip as i could not take it off - twice...
Even after watching several Youtube videos :lol:
Did not feel like it was too tight in the waist, but just could not take it off without help...
Ordered a Mystic Majestic 5/3 back zip - your suggestion seems to be right on the money here.Will see how this works out and if this does not will probably try C-skins Classic fit next...
Thanks.

sergei Scotland
Medium Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Nixm - thanks for custom fit suggestion, but after buying a new kite and a board this year my wife would not appreciate an expensive ws which might only last a couple of years :thumb:
I guess generally there is not a huge demand for fat bloke's wetsuits as most people kitesurfing/surfing end up losing weight.

Hopefully this will happen to me soon :P

I am not only fat but also old. :angryfire: Used to be 75 kg at 6'2 :bye: :bye: :bye:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm

If you have the £ then you might find an O'Neill Psychofreak 5/4 2XL Zen zip (back zip) would fit you OK. The (patented) back zip does not leak and the suit is super stretchy. As it should be for the price, of course!
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
sergei Scotland (Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:50 pm)

sergei Scotland
Medium Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:49 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm
If you have the £ then you might find an O'Neill Psychofreak 5/4 2XL Zen zip (back zip) would fit you OK. The (patented) back zip does not leak and the suit is super stretchy. As it should be for the price, of course!
Not sure - 2XL chest is 46-48.5.I have 42? Do you think it will be tight enough at the chest?

https://us.oneill.com/pages/size-charts
Unless there is a separate British chart?
In Oneil sizing above on paper I am about LT with chest 41-43.5,but waist is 33-35.
I guess I was like this when I was 18 y.o. :wink:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:30 am

sergei Scotland wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:49 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm
Not sure - 2XL chest is 46-48.5.I have 42? Do you think it will be tight enough at the chest?

https://us.oneill.com/pages/size-charts
Unless there is a separate British chart?
In Oneil sizing above on paper I am about LT with chest 41-43.5,but waist is 33-35.
I guess I was like this when I was 18 y.o. :wink:
Perhaps call Shore Water sports on 01243 672315, they do a lot of mail order. Ask to speak to Adam or Roscoe who are very knowledgeable and would help sort out your sizing. Yes, it is my local shop and I know them well. And no, I have no financial or other interests in Shore.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
sergei Scotland (Thu May 02, 2019 12:22 am)

HALF
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: 12m Cabrinha Convert(2010), 9m Flysurfer Speed5(2017), 15m Flysurfer Soul(2018), 19m Spleene X(2010)

Postby HALF » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:24 am

Here is a company that makes custom wetsuits, also the prices are pretty acceptable
https://www.runawavesport.com/custom-me ... t-wetsuits
These users thanked the author HALF for the post:
sergei Scotland (Wed May 01, 2019 12:00 am)

sergei Scotland
Medium Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:51 am

Just thought I would post an update of what worked for me-might help someone in a Similar size.
As Mystic suits on paper we're closest to my sizes I first bought a Mystic Drip 2018 XL 5/4 front zip first. Xl is waist 35-38 (i have 39.5-40!), chest 41-44(42), height 6'1-6'4 (6'2").
Well could put it on and Waist was not a problem but could not take it off by myself because of the fz.
Had to return and got a Mystic Majestic 2018 5/3 Back Zip XL. This works for me.
It is just a bit tight in the waist to put on but once is on I do not feel it tight in the waist at all. Chest is not too loose either.
Suit height 6'1-6'4 us OK for me at 6'2 - feels a bit too long actually but I have a 6'4 son so he can use it too if needed.
All in all this works for me fine and does not feel restrictive and I can take it off by myself :-).
For water 10c and air 10-12c no sun in West of Scotland I feel very warm in the water but needed a windproof jacket while resting on the beach for more than 10 mins.
This wetsuit has a neopren flap behind the back zip with a hole which goes over your head. This seems to stop flashing most of the time completely and reduce it a lot when I fly after a kite and enter water head first at speed 😂 not cold even after that..
These users thanked the author sergei Scotland for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”