Favorite Beaches: Gdansk Gulf, Poland
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Duotone SLS Neo various / Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, Superking
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How long should kite lines last?

Postby ronik » Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm

[/quote]
How do you remove a knot properly?
What are the pros/cons of not doing anything about it?
[/quote]

Maybe they don't make knots. It is difficult to make. However, I have heard you must make it wet.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu May 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Cefirmeza wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 pm

How do you remove a knot properly?

What are the pros/cons of not doing anything about it?
a simple overhand knot in Dyneema reduces the strength by roughly 2/3. Leaving only 1/3 of the breaking strength remaining.

Depends on the the amount of oversized line if that's a problem or not. On flying lines that is a serious risk. Pigtails, leaders and depower cords not so much.

Best way to remove them is by chewing or use of smooth pliers and ditch that part of the line if you see damaged strands of fibres after the knot is undone.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Thu May 02, 2019 3:22 pm

forever for good ones shit ones you never know. i have some slingshot lines with over 1000 sessions on them that never broke i finally retired them but rode them in some gnarly conditions until i finally bought a new bar because i couldn't find a replacement chicken loop for my old ass bar that i liked

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm

About undoing knot:

Chewing by smooth pliers is actually best way to damage line. - In fact it is impossible to do it without some damage.

Best way to undo knot is:

Properly wet line /by submerging for some time/
then with smooth hammer on smooth surface knock on knot so you will make "donut" from knot.
then rotate donut 90 degree and knock it to donut again

repeat several times
now knot is loose and can be undone with bare fingers.
use gentle knocks - a lot of them not one heavy knock.

About lines longevity - good lines indeed last almost forever - maybe decade.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu May 02, 2019 3:42 pm

kiteswede wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:15 am
Hello kiters

One youtube clip say that you should change lines every year. Let say if you kite 30 times a year and rinse the bar with fresh water everytime thoroughly?

My lines connected to the kite is nice, but one power rope near the bar, the threads start to loosen up and some are cracked. Bought the bar last summer.
change them when they gets furry. like this bruh

depends on how rough your kite area is sandy beach or rebar and concrete, lots of UV or cloudy. that above line is ready to go so I'm probably going to swap out the lines on that control bar.

It's definitely possible to get more than 30 sessions per line set. If they are only a little furry keep them. If there's just one wear point like near the swivel you can splice in new line just at the wear point.

I know I know I should change my lines more often, so don't yell at me. I think I've snapped a dozen lines so far lol. Anyway I know how furry is too furry that's what I'm saying. A little fuzz doesn't hurt the line too much they don't have to be mint, but you don't want them looking like a german shephard.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
kiteswede (Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu May 02, 2019 3:49 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm
About undoing knot:

Chewing by smooth pliers is actually best way to damage line. - In fact it is impossible to do it without some damage.
not chewing with pliers you put it in your mouth and gently chew the knot with your teeth.

it's always better to remove then knot than to let it be, so it's ok if you damage the line a little bit way less risk of getting a snap. That's why I'm often chewing the lines, you don't always have a hammer at the launch and you can gently chew the knot with your mouth until it loosens up even if you have no other tools.

I remember the first time I was told this. "Help I can't get this knot out!" Him: "Chew it." Me: whu? I don't have a hammer or pliers or anything what can I do without tools. Then he stuck it in his mouth and started chewing. "Like this." I was like WTF but it really works. When a line snaps because of the knot it's usually snapped about 2-3 inches (5-6 cm) away from the knot itself not right at the knot. Not exactly sure why that happens but that's where it snaps and then you know it's a problem with the knot. Also if a sleeving was done incorrectly then the line won't snap inside the sleeve it snaps about 2-3 inches away from the sleeve and then you know whoever made the sleeve did it wrong, either too tight sewing or too loose both can cause problems in a sleeved line.

Gentle tapping with a hammer is best, but if you have to ride and have no other tools chew it. Do it the same as you would with a hammer. You don't go at it like you're bolting down a big mac, you gently chew it for several minutes take your time.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Ok, now i understand - im not native speaker :). I use two smooth stones if im out of hammer :) - but did not have knot in ..... years as i have one bar per kite so almost impossible to get knot. Anyway thanks about chewing advice.

about EDT "It's definitely possible to get more than 30 sessions per line set." i just ignore it i suppose as joke. 1000 ses is possible with good lines and 500 is conservative. Im mean kite flying session not rookie line dragging through sharp object session.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm

Sure, 500 or 1000 is possible too! Line don't get weak from kiting they get weak from abrasion. 1,000 sesssions at roughly 100 days kiting per year that's 10 years for a line set, why not. As you can see from my lines above no way I get that many on mine lol. 30 is the number quoted by the original poster.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 02, 2019 6:53 pm

I apologize - did not understand correctly :)
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
edt (Thu May 02, 2019 6:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Thu May 02, 2019 8:23 pm

One year warranty on lines? Does it exist? :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”