SolarSet wrote: ↑
Fri May 03, 2019 5:21 pm
You do know that foil kites can loop as well as LEI? Foils have unmatchable range due to high projected area, higher AR which makes them sit further on the edge of wind window
Foils do loop but amount of power you get from the loop leaves foil looping to be more of esthetic move.
Unless of course they bowtie and then we’re talking some extra propulsion.
There’s a good reason I sold all my foils to whoever rides snow or buggies and it were LEI which had unmatched range, not foils.
High aspect kites are special animals on their own, they do stay at the edge of the window and shoot upwind (both foil and LEI), they deliver floaty jumps and soft cushy landings, but going straight downwind on them - looping and figure-eight(ing) is a punchy nightmare sweeping the wing from one side to another. Also gusty winds (especially lulls) and HA kites are not best buddies.
Been there, done it, haven’t seen any revolutionary foil performance since. Sold a dozen of my foils and kept a couple to remind me why I sold the other ones.
Major kicks in the "foil nads" for me were:
- my Flysurfer Pulse2 8m folded into a mess falling down in a lull and then punched me by opening up as a chute in a following gust and dragged me on the shitty local beach, over concrete sidewalk, fortunately not reaching the trees
- I could ride Jimbo's Core XR 17m on 39m lines after my so-ultra-lightwind Speed3 DLX 19m wouldn’t get me on plane on my door anymore.
--I couldn't rig my foils on a tiny launch spot in Salvo and I didn't want to mess them up driftlaunching and self-landing with extensive packing/drying efforts
- I wouldn't driftlaunch/self-land foils in Rodanthe in gusty NE winds coming over the buildings and wouldn't drag the kite through muddy sound bottom to where they'd launch
- my Flysurfer Speed4 10m wouldn't fully depower/flag onto front line (no 5th line on mine) and was pulling me down the beach while (un)happily looping
- I wouldn't driftlaunch/self-land foils on our local spot where you need to wade water with kite in hands for 50 yards before you get to wind line and no obstructions on left side of the window (right side of the wind window are trees at the launch)
- my 10m Rally 2012 was so much more agile, powerful and had better range than Flysurfer Speed4 STD (2012 too). And it weighed the same 6.2lbs
- I happily rode my 15m Turbine in Rodanthe on 37m lines while guys with 21m Speed4 Lotus and 19m Speed3 ended way offshore and downwind
- I rode 15m Sonic FR and 15m Ozone R1 just as well as my 15m Turbine. Nice kites. I was glad I sold most of my foils by then.
And now, when I consider 9m "a large size" suitable either for boosting or lightwind foiling, my 7m/5m LEIs are my main kites, 11m stays in the bag. 15m Turbine is sold. Why would I bother about a foil kite?
But foils look pretty in the skies and with unlimited budget, steady winds and spacious launch/landing spots they’re awesome.