Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 pm

Complete review here of those X-Tiger sunglasses :

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... -polarized

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Steve271 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 pm

At the risk of stepping into this thread I feel I have to say how much I love my LIP typhoons- they work great and fit me very comfortably.
I’ve tried many other alternatives and was actually disappointed when I found out how well the Typhoon’s fit. I was at Real and was curious what $200 glasses felt like and realized that I was going to have to spend the money. now I don’t regret it and would buy them again in a heart beat- but don’t really have to since they have outstanding support. I have replaced lenses after my incompetent care.
This week I made a clumsy adjustment and broke one of the arms (my fault) when asking about a replacement LIP even offered to DHL it to my vacation address.
Yes they’re expensive, but there’s a reason why people rave about them.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:27 am

I've got the LIP Typhoons and Surge glasses. They're very good. They don't work in all situations. The arm pieces can be uncomfortable under a hood or some kinds of helmet. They can be a bit dark when riding late in the day when you have to deal with low sun glare and fading light.

In 2009 I bought a pair of these. https://spexusa.com/spex-amphibian/ I don't think I used them and they just stayed in the back of the drawer for years. Now I use them all the time, particularly in winter.

They're not as good as the LIP glasses in terms of coatings and stuff, but they're really easy to push down around your neck if they get a bit grubby or it's too dark or whatever. The elastic strap fits comfortably under a hood. If they get too messy just drop in the water and give them a clean.

I particularly like the Fearless Fly look of them. If I'm going to look like a geek then I want to be a Super Geek!

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:59 pm

The answer to the topic headline question: Because most kiters don't live in the tropics and most kiters don't kite very much in reality.

However I agree everyone should be wearing sunglasses regularly, again check out the Electric John John Florence, amazing but expensive

mirza23454
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: sfbay mostly 3rd/coyote
Gear: Mostly surf/wave/carve oriented kites/boards/foils
Has thanked: 0

Postby mirza23454 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 pm

I’ve recently switched from prescription polarized sunglasses to a pair which wraparound and have transitions xtractive lenses since I’m often out at sunset. Pretty happy! Julbo also has “transitions” which seem like they might get darker but they’re harder to get.

The main issue is the temples hurt my ears. I’ve seen sunglasses/goggles with straps instead of temples (like Ombra) but not with prescription+transitions lenses. Any tips for painful temples?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:26 am

mirza23454 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 pm
. Any tips for painful temples?
Maybe the frame can be adjusted. Or maybe is not the right frame for you. One of the huge downsides of The “I like [Brand]” testimonials in eyewear is that people have different shapes. And again the peril of buying glasses online as well.

You could get a hot air frame warmer and if you set the temperature just right you can adjust the frame without distorting it beyond repair. It’s kind of like roasting the perfect marshmallow over a campfire.

Your best bet is to see an optician in person.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 am

Steve271 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 pm
$520 USD for prescription glasses, WTF!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:18 am

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 am
Steve271 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 pm
$520 USD for prescription glasses, WTF!
You could easily spend less. There are plenty of value options. $520 sounds like a lot for a kite or a surfboard to almost anybody who isn’t a into it. You can also easily spend more. Many people like to see better and are willing to pay for quality or fashion.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:04 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:27 am
I've got the LIP Typhoons and Surge glasses. They're very good. They don't work in all situations. The arm pieces can be uncomfortable under a hood or some kinds of helmet. They can be a bit dark when riding late in the day when you have to deal with low sun glare and fading light.
try out the Brown Nylon Polarized lenses. Better in low light.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:50 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:18 am
You could easily spend less.
um ... no shit, you'd be hard pressed to spend more!
jakemoore wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:18 am
You can also easily spend more. Many people like to see better and are willing to pay for quality or fashion.
I'd be curious to see the more expensive polycarb fog-vented water sports sunglasses that cost more than $520. I doubt they exist.

Seaspecs charges $150 USD extra for Rx lenses.
Lip is charging $300 USD extra for Rx lenses in Typhpoons.
Lip is charging $415 USD extra for Rx lenses in Surges! What a joke.

Return to “Kitesurfing”