Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
Red Pointer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Red Point,Basin Head, Souris Beach,
Favorite Beaches: Souris Beach,Hatteras, Caberette,Malpeque PEI
Style: Slash and bash
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Red Pointer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm

Ive been using black electrical tape to keep my sun glasses on for 30+ years.I just wrap the tape around the end of one arm and stretch the tape over to the other arm leaving the tape at a length that allows me to put the glasses on fitting snugly.I also fold the tape in half between the arms to ovoid having the sticky tape on whats left of my hair.to custom fit, I stretch the tape to fit :thumb:

parakitesurf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Cabo verde
Style: All ride
Gear: F-one
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby parakitesurf » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm

+1 For wearing sunglasses to protect your eyes when you do any sport in the water and especially in summer. A few years ago I suffered serious burns to my eyes for not wearing protection

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:07 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2402955&start=100

That was where this thread got good. Thanks for bringing it up!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:19 am

Very important to protect your eyes since they are bombarded constantly by harmful cumulative UV and blue light.

Not as important to wear a helmet since rocks and logs are not hitting the head constantly.

Optician point of view here.

Mr. Whothinksheknowsitall will quote...ha ha.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:13 am

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:42 am

Friend lost his mom to retinal melanoma a few years ago. Had no idea that was a thing. This is me now:
58A98E85-9A5B-4238-964B-536A2FE19453.jpeg
These users thanked the author kct for the post:
zlatko23 (Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 am)
Rating: 3.03%

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:54 pm

We wear our SeaSpecs all the time outside, on the boat, riding Bike, Kiting, even walking about town. Totally comfortable with them. As for the water droplets, we just dunk them fully while wearing them and that sorts out the dried salt spray, and droplets. Feel naked without them.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:49 am

I started wearing sunglasses out of curiosity, didn’t ever think about the very significant health implications.

They are the single piece of gear that has surprised me the most, with an exceptional impact on my performance.

Would never kite without them now, and this does not consider the safety benefits.
These users thanked the author vannibombonato for the post:
Bille (Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Sandy Point State Park, Maryland, USA
Fort Smallwood Park, Maryland, USA
Dewey Beach, Delaware, USA
Assateague State Park, Maryland, USA
Gear: 2020 Switchblade 12m
2020 Orbit 9m
2019 RPM 7m
Cabrinha Control Bar
Slingshot Control Bar

Postby RaviTheJedi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:00 pm

I wear ShadyRays. If you lose/break them, they send you a new one for $10 USD. They are polarized, okay quality. But I can get a replacement anytime.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:42 pm

I use a pair of extreme spots protection.
They fit and are held in place with my helmet.
THey are great because they are designed to sit high with plenty of lens above your eyes, so great peripheral vision especially above.

If it's late enough in the day and the surf is agressive where I need more depth perception I will go without them.

Fun fact.

When I was testing these I used a dumbbell to drop on the lens. I broke the dumbbell before I could break the specs lens.

Helmet and the sunglasses work well together.

They are inexpensive.

Last edited by FredBGG on Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”