Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Toby » Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm

by IKO

How curious is the fact that despite science and logic, sometimes us humans behave against what we instinctively know is beneficial for us; like eating clean and healthy, wearing a helmet while doing extreme sports and investing in pair of polarized sunglasses when out in the sun near water or snow to name a few!

Just like with helmets, wearing sunglasses while kiteboarding seems unfashionable and excuses like “I will lose them”, “They are annoying”, “They are expensive”, “Water droplets on the lens bother me” and so on, seem to always come up.

Truth is companies have filled all these gaps offering a range of options with different styles, price points, fits and a wide variety of options. So what is holding all us kiters back from wearing sunglasses while kiteboarding?

We believe that it is the social norms of the majority overriding the logic. If all the professionals, instructors and kiteboarding promotions wore sunglasses while riding, competing, teaching it would make people think twice… “If these people are wearing them…. maybe I should too.” Although it is not the case, just like with helmets. Only a few wear it and so it’s not really popular.

The use of polarized sunglasses, in general, will help reduce the chances of cataracts, macular degeneration, sunburn on the cornea and the risk of experiencing vision issues like “snow blindness” which can and have happened to kiters before.

After taking time to research we found many companies that offer sunglasses specifically for kiteboarding. We have found these top-rated companies offering a variety of different styles, prices, and features that are excellent for kite use: Kurtis Eye Wear, Ocean Glasses, Sea Specs, and Lip Sunglasses! We know there might be many more companies out there and if you are currently using one of them let the community know which you use and recommend!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
dogspring55 (Mon May 20, 2019 7:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby CaptainCore » Wed May 08, 2019 10:24 pm

Just to let you know how the cataract op goes, you basically get to look into a light while the guy digs your old lens out with a scalpel, although you can't feel much you get the vibration, a bit like at the dentists, your knuckles go well white as you grip the arm of the chair as he scrapes about getting rid of all the old lens, you get to watch it all, a bit blurry of course because he's just destroyed what's left of your sun damaged lens.

Trust me, my time over again, I'd never go on the water without shades...
These users thanked the author CaptainCore for the post (total 2):
longwhitecloud (Thu May 09, 2019 6:12 am) • SENDIT! (Thu May 09, 2019 7:34 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

pitbulldoug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza,Cumbuco,Uruau,CE Brasil Ventura Co.California
Style: Wave and foil
Gear: Naish Kites/Wings,ASD surfboards Fortaleza CE Brasil,Kalama supfoil, MHL kitefoil,GoFoil surffoils,Scrivy Surfboards CA.Axis foils,Camet winging boards,Starboard/Airush Wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby pitbulldoug » Thu May 09, 2019 12:59 am

Toby wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm
by IKO

How curious is the fact that despite science and logic, sometimes us humans behave against what we instinctively know is beneficial for us; like eating clean and healthy, wearing a helmet while doing extreme sports and investing in pair of polarized sunglasses when out in the sun near water or snow to name a few!
Just like with helmets, wearing sunglasses while kiteboarding seems unfashionable and excuses like “I will lose them”, “They are annoying”, “They are expensive”, “Water droplets on the lens bother me” and so on, seem to always come up.
Truth is companies have filled all these gaps offering a range of options with different styles, price points, fits and a wide variety of options. So what is holding all us kiters back from wearing sunglasses while kiteboarding?

We believe that it is the social norms of the majority overriding the logic. If all the professionals, instructors and kiteboarding promotions wore sunglasses while riding, competing, teaching it would make people think twice… “If these people are wearing them…. maybe I should too.” Although it is not the case, just like with helmets. Only a few wear it and so it’s not really popular.

The use of polarized sunglasses, in general, will help reduce the chances of cataracts, macular degeneration, sunburn on the cornea and the risk of experiencing vision issues like “snow blindness” which can and have happened to kiters before.

After taking time to research we found many companies that offer sunglasses specifically for kiteboarding. We have found these top-rated companies offering a variety of different styles, prices, and features that are excellent for kite use: Kurtis Eye Wear, Ocean Glasses, Sea Specs, and Lip Sunglasses! We know there might be many more companies out there and if you are currently using one of them let the community know which you use and recommend!
Agree really need them but for me I own Curtis, Oakley, sea specs tried em all and still get the dreaded salt spots that render your vision real poor/useless after 1/2 hr so of kiting especially in the waves, I wish with all the technology out here someone would come out with a excellent topical spray that you can put on the lenses that actually works! I have tried everything and would say the Curtis are probably the best but there spray is only good for 1/2 hr so then they spot up and I can barely see, so I take them off and hang around my neck,I’m desperately looking for something that actually works as both my eyes have pterigium from years/decades surfing and kiting, sup etc,I spend quite a bit of time in NE Brasil where the afternoon sun is brutal!If I find s product that works I would most definitely use them always, just have not found s good long lasting product that stops the water spots after close to 15 yrs kiting,

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu May 09, 2019 3:14 am

I use seaspecs.

Also in Brazil...about 2 times per 3 hrs session I clean them. And visibility is ok...I can see all I need.

Definitely better for your eyes, also protects eyes from water spray, which can be annoying in choppy waters.

Plus, an extra protection of maybe something what’s to hit your eye...I know that a friend got lines across the face...and the glasses protected her from lines cutting along the eye.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu May 09, 2019 1:55 pm

what they need to do is come out with polarized contact lenses....

.... just decided to goggle that... they do! https://www.acuvue.com/acuvue-oasys-tra ... act-lenses

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm

I wear normal lenses.

And the spray water is the biggest enemy of lenses...therefore glasses are recommended.

Although Hydrofoil doesn’t have spray water like a TT, when crashing it is good to have the glasses to keep water away from your eyes wearing lenses.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 pm

https://www.acuvue.com/acuvue-oasys-tra ... act-lenses

Apparently polarised contact lenses exist. Haven't tried them! I might....

Edit: looks like these are UV blocking, only.
Last edited by or6 on Thu May 09, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu May 09, 2019 2:05 pm

I wears sunnies 100% of the time kiting.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 pm

pitbulldoug wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:59 am
I wish with all the technology out here someone would come out with a excellent topical spray that you can put on the lenses that actually works!
Saliva

Return to “Kitesurfing”