Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby GraemeF » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 am
tegirinenashi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 am
It is time to make a poll who lost this debate. You know where my vote goes.
15 pages, they both lost, sorry. :roll:
Think you might be right..
https://www.googlefight.co.uk/matteo+v- ... trings.php

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Pana » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:17 pm

To bring back the discussion to the initial element :

I have sensitive eyes and often allergic reactions that makes things whorse. I always kite with sunnglases, they are part of my protection kit along with sunscreen and an impact vest.

Tried several pair, and lost a few. Ended up with an expensive pair of Lips. Those I have never lost because of the silicone neck holder. Hydrophobic coating was in my view worth the extra price not to mention the are the best looking I have owned.

They have suffered from some cleaning detergent abuse and are scratched. I just found out that I can buy just the replacement lens. I like that. Also that the warranty is 3 Happy to see from this thread that there are other nice glases out there.

For those of you that are not simplicity advocates I find great pleasure in wearing a good pair of sunglases. Would like to drop the sunscreen and impact vest but personally I feel better having them. Each his own, kite naked if you wish, no moral from my part. Just go out there and enjoy it your way.

This said, for those who don’t ride waves please don’t be a cook and be aware that there is a specific etiquette in the break.

Cheers !
These users thanked the author Pana for the post (total 2):
jakemoore (Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 pm) • PullStrings (Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Pana wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:17 pm
To bring back the discussion to the initial element :

I have sensitive eyes and often allergic reactions that makes things whorse. I always kite with sunnglases, they are part of my protection kit along with sunscreen and an impact vest.

Tried several pair, and lost a few. Ended up with an expensive pair of Lips. Those I have never lost because of the silicone neck holder. Hydrophobic coating was in my view worth the extra price not to mention the are the best looking I have owned.

They have suffered from some cleaning detergent abuse and are scratched. I just found out that I can buy just the replacement lens. I like that. Also that the warranty is 3 Happy to see from this thread that there are other nice glases out there.

For those of you that are not simplicity advocates I find great pleasure in wearing a good pair of sunglases. Would like to drop the sunscreen and impact vest but personally I feel better having them. Each his own, kite naked if you wish, no moral from my part. Just go out there and enjoy it your way.

This said, for those who don’t ride waves please don’t be a cook and be aware that there is a specific etiquette in the break.

Cheers !

serious question...
...what is the etiquette?

i always assumed if someone is on a wave..the have the right of way (so GTF out the way)...

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:35 am

Elguapo... the priority is when surfing the wave. There are also distinctions if both sailors are surfing the same wave. Not the tread to discuss this, look it up if you are curious.

Cheers

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:39 am

elguapo wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm

serious question...
...what is the etiquette?

i always assumed if someone is on a wave..the have the right of way (so GTF out the way)...

The citation of that separate topic was not brought up as a serious statement in this thread. Lots of other threads have covered that topic before. But it would be hard to get someone to give your desired response in this topic, which bears a subject line as far from as you can get from "right of way on the wave".

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm
Would I be right in assuming that high tech sunglasses are extremely important in buying you new kites, paying for your kids college, and/or setting up a nice retirement plan for you? Or maybe your job in that industry allows you lots of time off for travel to good kite destinations?
Response inaccurate
High tech sunglasses are strongly recommended to give people the best possible lenses and vision
I haven't bought new kites in 6 years
Don't need to travel for kiting i'm at the beach with wind
Don't do sales in kiosk
This is not a competition between us two but if it was i would certainly win
Got education plus decades of practical experience about all type of lenses , coatings , frames

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:24 pm
Just to let you know how the cataract op goes, you basically get to look into a light while the guy digs your old lens out with a scalpel, although you can't feel much you get the vibration, a bit like at the dentists, your knuckles go well white as you grip the arm of the chair as he scrapes about getting rid of all the old lens, you get to watch it all, a bit blurry of course because he's just destroyed what's left of your sun damaged lens.

Trust me, my time over again, I'd never go on the water without shades...
Plus after cataract op:
1).There is no focusing on near/far objects.
2). About 60% get vitriol body detachment from the retina. While not immediately dangerous it results in 10-15 percent risk of retina detachment over next 5 years. So effectively you have 1 in 14/20 chance of going almost blind. Which they don't tell you.
3)Don't beleive sh***t they tell you about being able to exersize in 2 weeks. My eye was hurting for 6 month every time I tried tennis or a run. I wish I would wait for at least 2 month before I made any attempts of sports!
4)Everyone gets lots of floaters in the field of vision as a side effect doctors consider minor. It is not.
5)The vitriol body detachment results in the gel - like body wobble every time you move your head or eyes. This wobble stops you seeing properly out of the eye for several tens of a second, which means your reaction time after a landing or just a sharp head turn goes to hell.

Pls wear sunglasses. I wish I did. And I only go on holiday for 2 weeks a year and work in an office. So normally do not have a lot of direct sun exposure.
Could also be computer monitor! You can get slightly yellowish computer lenses which stop harmful blue light from the monitor too.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Love my new LiP Sunglasses Typhoon watershades.
Best glasses ever for watersports.
Super comfy, look good & no water spots.

Check them out via the link- https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/products ... on/?ref=30
Perfect for #kitesurfing #kitefoil #sup #sailing #kayak #windsurfing

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:34 am

PullStrings wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 pm
This is not a competition between us two but if it was i would certainly win
Ya, I don't look at it as a competition either. And it can't be as there will never be a clear winner in this case.

There will always be lots of kiters that focus on fashion instead of practicality. And there will always be kiters, like me, that focus on practicality instead of fashion. You will always win over the ones that are fashion w----'s. I will always win over the ones that are resistant to the propaganda and hype.

But it is great that you have participated in this thread to the fullest extend, and laid all your cards on the table for the community to examine.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 am

leepasty wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm
Love my new LiP Sunglasses Typhoon watershades.
I see your profile mentions waves. Are you using polarized lenses in the waves? Are you just hydrofoilling waves, or riding a directional too?

Return to “Kitesurfing”