Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
Oldman
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: . Foil, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Oldman » Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Kamikuza » Mon May 13, 2019 12:48 am

Oldman wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm
https://www.forward-wip.eu/en/3-polariz ... asses.html

Anyone tried these?
Look like a bunch of models on AliExpress for ... $10 :o

These are ones I got to try out:
Very basic
Oakley rip-off
Like matt black Seaspecs with a padded thingy
Photochromatic lenses test

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm

A post similar to this came up sometime last year. I had recently crashed so hard that I broke my last pair of Surf Shades and was looking to replace them. I wanted something with better lenses and decided to give the Lip Typhoons a shot. Long story short, I liked them so much that I contacted them and became a dealer for them. Not only did I like them, I sold everything I got and everyone has raved about them. In my opinion, the Zeiss lenses on the Typhoon model are worth the extra $100. When you put them on next to pretty much anything else, you can really see the difference in clarity, sharpness. The hydrophobic/oleophobic coatings have been really nice. I have to clean these SO much less than anything else I've had, even considering how much abuse they get from me as an instructor. I'm getting a second pair for my house, since I live 1/2 hour away from where I work, and I can kite close to my house.

Now, if you're one of those people that is perfectly satisfied with the $5 safety goggles from Harbor Freight, well, these are NOT the glasses for you. If you wore them, you'd be able to tell the difference in quality instantly. But, the extra $200 you spent will likely bug the crap out of you and ruin the purchase. ;) However, if you're like I am and appreciate quality in sunglasses, I can't recommend them enough. :thumb:

As a side note, my father has spent most of his adult life owning his own residential construction business and working outside. Due to heredity, environment, or a mix of both, he's been battling macular degeneration for about 10 years. That's certainly made me more vigilant about taking care of my eyes, especially with how much time I sometimes spend outside. Just one more reason why I have no problem spending a little extra on them. Hope this helps.

SENDIT!

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:15 am
People think of Lip as the $200 Sunglasses but you can get a model at $100 which work just as well as their $200 Typhoons
Anyone who has experience with that new Vivide blue mirror glasses in the Surge?

keviene
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rota, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Rota,Tarifa
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Evo 12m 09
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby keviene » Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 pm

what about these?
https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/gafas-de- ... 98&c=NEGRO
are ugly AF, but at least they are cheap

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I recently bought the decahtlon rayban looking glasses, and I am beyond happy
i was using a chinese brand of glasses before that and they were getting dirty after hour of kiting, now with the decathlon i don't want to take them off even after 4-5 hours in the water

https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/gafas-de- ... 79&c=NEGRO

because of the design they do not protect so well from water splashes, however the optics are what i like, i would think that their other models would be good as well

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm
In my opinion, the Zeiss lenses on the Typhoon model are worth the extra $100. When you put them on next to pretty much anything else, you can really see the difference in clarity, sharpness. The hydrophobic/oleophobic coatings have been really nice. I have to clean these SO much less than anything else I've had
On their website they don't say anywhere that the back of the lenses are also treated with an anti-reflective process
They really should stress that point because it is very important for seeing with much less eye strain through the dark backside of the lenses

Can you take your sunglasses and hold them horizontally with the back of the lenses towards you ?
Make sure to have overhead a white neon light
Does the back of the lenses reflect the neon and appear also white
If it does then there is no back surface anti-reflective on them

But if the white light of neon reflects "with a color of any kind" then you have yourself anti-reflective on them

Thanks

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:23 am

On youtube people test sunglasses with a UV torch. Found Raybans let in UV light, bad quality like everything Luxottica makes, especially the $600 Prada, Chanel etc glasses, only rated Category 1 or 2.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Tue May 14, 2019 4:31 am

Toby wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm
We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?
by IKO

(...)

Just like with helmets, wearing sunglasses while kiteboarding seems unfashionable and excuses like “I will lose them”, “They are annoying”, “They are expensive”, “Water droplets on the lens bother me” and so on, seem to always come up.

(...)

The use of polarized sunglasses, in general, will help reduce the chances of cataracts, macular degeneration, sunburn on the cornea and the risk of experiencing vision issues like “snow blindness” which can and have happened to kiters before.

(...)
My biggest worry with sunglasses is that they may break upon impact and pieces of it could enter the eye and cause permanent damage.

Regarding the OP: What makes polarized sunglasses special or superior to 100%UV protected ones with regard to eye protection?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 am

SENDIT! wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm
A post similar to this came up sometime last year. I had recently crashed so hard that I broke my last pair of Surf Shades and was looking to replace them. I wanted something with better lenses and decided to give the Lip Typhoons a shot. Long story short, I liked them so much that I contacted them and became a dealer for them. Not only did I like them, I sold everything I got and everyone has raved about them. In my opinion, the Zeiss lenses on the Typhoon model are worth the extra $100. When you put them on next to pretty much anything else, you can really see the difference in clarity, sharpness. The hydrophobic/oleophobic coatings have been really nice. I have to clean these SO much less than anything else I've had, even considering how much abuse they get from me as an instructor. I'm getting a second pair for my house, since I live 1/2 hour away from where I work, and I can kite close to my house.

Now, if you're one of those people that is perfectly satisfied with the $5 safety goggles from Harbor Freight, well, these are NOT the glasses for you. If you wore them, you'd be able to tell the difference in quality instantly. But, the extra $200 you spent will likely bug the crap out of you and ruin the purchase. ;) However, if you're like I am and appreciate quality in sunglasses, I can't recommend them enough. :thumb:

As a side note, my father has spent most of his adult life owning his own residential construction business and working outside. Due to heredity, environment, or a mix of both, he's been battling macular degeneration for about 10 years. That's certainly made me more vigilant about taking care of my eyes, especially with how much time I sometimes spend outside. Just one more reason why I have no problem spending a little extra on them. Hope this helps.

SENDIT!
Have you tried the Surge?

Return to “Kitesurfing”