Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby lindseym » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:11 am

While we're on this topic, what do you all recommend for keeping water droplets off glasses? I suppose RainX but in the past, it actually has created haze. I recall someone on here mentioning some kind of wax or something ... not sure.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby james » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:06 am

:(
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 am
leepasty wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm
Love my new LiP Sunglasses Typhoon watershades.
I see your profile mentions waves. Are you using polarized lenses in the waves? Are you just hydrofoilling waves, or riding a directional too?
Oh no... does this mean you are about to tell Lee he is doing it all wrong?

Good luck😂🙈 I will be over here with the popcorn.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 am

This is still going?????

God help us all.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
Kamikuza (Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:19 am

I have pterygium (surfers eye) in one eye after a lifetime on the water but it seems to be stable.
I use sunglasses every day (on land) but have all but given up with water glasses as I just find such a huge loss of vision with the steaming up and water droplets they all get after a while. In fact if I see someone in sunnies on the water I tend to give them a wide birth as half the time they just don't seem aware of everything/one around them. :lol:

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/pteryg ... fers-eye#1

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 am
leepasty wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm
Love my new LiP Sunglasses Typhoon watershades.
I see your profile mentions waves. Are you using polarized lenses in the waves? Are you just hydrofoilling waves, or riding a directional too?
Polarized lenses can blur water detail under certain conditions....something I didn't care about while surface riding but it makes foiling more difficult. Lip is coming out with non polarized Typhoons soon.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:40 pm

james wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:06 am
Oh no... does this mean you are about to tell Lee he is doing it all wrong?
I cannot tell someone that they are doing "fashion" wrong. Fashion is about ones desire to follow a trend, or to not follow that trend. Lack of fashion is about having NO desire to follow a trend, or to not follow a trend. Either way, it is a personal thing that seeks approval or disapproval of others who are concerned with fashion themselves.

I would fall into the category of "not concerned with fashion" and thus have no say about fashion other than calling out when fashion is overriding practicality. Given that fashion's very existence is built on overriding practicality, fashion - by it's very nature - takes precedent over practicality for those who subscribe to it. So I could not logically voice my approval of one's desire for fashion other than pointing out the fact that it overrides practicality and has an unjustified cost associated with it.

My honest question to Lee was somewhat off topic in that I am interested in the practicality of polarized lens use for wave riding. Personally, I have observed that riders with a dislike of polarized sunglasses, tend to have more technical/fast/quick approaches to waves. Those that still use polarized sunglasses tend to "mow the waves" as opposed to surfing them. While I am somewhat looking for confirmation of my observations and theory, I am very much looking for observations and theory contrary to mine. So someone who would state that there is no problem with loss of detail in the waves would present a valuable opinion contrary to mine.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:42 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 am
Lip is coming out with non polarized Typhoons soon.
This will allow kiters concerned with fashion to also have practicality in their sunglasses.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:29 pm

windsuks wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:19 am
I have pterygium (surfers eye) in one eye after a lifetime on the water but it seems to be stable.
I use sunglasses every day (on land) but have all but given up with water glasses as I just find such a huge loss of vision with the steaming up and water droplets they all get after a while. In fact if I see someone in sunnies on the water I tend to give them a wide birth as half the time they just don't seem aware of everything/one around them. :lol:

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/pteryg ... fers-eye#1
´As half the time thy don’t seem’ sounds like a pretty light statistic, and essentially means... absolutely nothing.
I am impressed, you should be a politician, you opinion is based on hard facts and clear outcomes, lol x2.

Hope your opinion on your ´seems to be stable eye is better, and dont take chances with wearing glasses, any protection they could offer could all be fake news. But I recon the bottom line is: it’s your eye, and your opinion.

I like the people that accept the consequences of there choices. Prefer those looking for solutions though.

Best of luck !

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:53 pm

I think you need to google a touch more matty, I don’t think lee Has his style confused with mowing the lawn.

But it’s nice that you make assumptions about people’s abilities based on wether their lenses are polarised or not.

How do you verify your hypothesis? “Excuse me, you mow the lawn on a wave may I see you sunglasses? Ah yes just as I suspected your lack of dynamism and speed on the wave can be attributed to your lens choice”

I mean seriously how does it work?

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:28 pm

james wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:53 pm
I think you need to google a touch more matty, I don’t think lee Has his style confused with mowing the lawn.
Thanks for answering for him. I will kind of take your word for it. So that would makes wave kiter I know that rocks it with polarized sunglasses, and does not dislike them. Still, I would like to hear from him on this. But thanks again james!

james wrote:
How do you verify your hypothesis? “Excuse me, you mow the lawn on a wave may I see you sunglasses? Ah yes just as I suspected your lack of dynamism and speed on the wave can be attributed to your lens choice”
First, I examine my personal experience - which is that despite loving polarized sunglasses in other sports on the water, they seemed to hinder me reading chop, ramps, and waves while kiteboarding and windsurfing. Then I applied reason and logic to the question of "why is that?". Given that polarization in the horizontal plane helps you see through the surface of the water (to see what is below, as in fishing), that indicates that surface detail is definitely lost. Since I kite and interact with the surface of the water, it is clear that losing detail on the surface would logically hinder reading chop, using ramps, and waves.

To test if this line of reasoning is sound enough to be a valid theory, I ask others wearing sunglasses if they are using polarized sunglasses. Then I take note to watch them out on the water for how they ride.

To this date, I have not seen a kiter who is wearing polarized sunglasses is actually ripping up the waves. While "ripping up the waves" is certainly subjective, flopping in the waves or blowing it hard by obviously misreading the wave is much less subjective. And thus it has become apparent to me that the vast majority of kiters having issues in the waves are wearing polarized sunglasses.

james wrote:
I mean seriously how does it work?
Observation, analysis, and seeking a contradictory opinion or evidence. Then examination of any reported contradictory evidence and modification to the theory to fit or disprove. Pretty successful method for me so far on many things in life as well as watersports.

Return to “Kitesurfing”