Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am

I think the cataract ops without stitches suck as there is now data that about 30 or 40% (AFAICR) of eyes leak via the incision which probably result in more severe vitrious body detachments and more danger.
Wound leaks are a risk for infection which is a path to a glass eye but not RD. I do about 1000/yr and suture about 20 clear corneal incisions every year. Most are because the patient has a planned retina surgery that might challenge the incision. Invariably there are some wound leaks. I check the integrity of the incisions meticulously and suture if needed. Sutures themselves are a risk for infection I treated a patient with a suture abscess this year. The original surgery was elsewhere. He did well. Even when sutures don’t cause any problems at all it still feels like a grain of sand. There is no doubt a leaking wound needs a suture. But most of the time a properly constructed incision is water tight. Nobody wants sutures.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
sergei Scotland (Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

qsilver_za
Rare Poster
Local Beach: St.Kilda, Melbourne, Australia
Style: All
Gear: Lots - Naish/Ozone/F-one
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby qsilver_za » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am

Hello, I am wanting to buy some lips, are the typhoons worth paying the extra moola? Are they like a 5% difference or more like 25% difference co pared to the surge?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:22 pm

I mostly wear aviators but for super cold winter sessions I sometimes go with ski goggles.
you can get pretty fancy set for $30-40 on Amazon..
They work great and also protect the face from windchill... the only catch is you have to quickly raise them after diving on a hard crash to drain the water :-)
25791045_10213500069148506_7493593651603056337_o.jpg

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am
I think the cataract ops without stitches suck as there is now data that about 30 or 40% (AFAICR) of eyes leak via the incision which probably result in more severe vitrious body detachments and more danger.
Wound leaks are a risk for infection which is a path to a glass eye but not RD. I do about 1000/yr and suture about 20 clear corneal incisions every year. Most are because the patient has a planned retina surgery that might challenge the incision. Invariably there are some wound leaks. I check the integrity of the incisions meticulously and suture if needed. Sutures themselves are a risk for infection I treated a patient with a suture abscess this year. The original surgery was elsewhere. He did well. Even when sutures don’t cause any problems at all it still feels like a grain of sand. There is no doubt a leaking wound needs a suture. But most of the time a properly constructed incision is water tight. Nobody wants sutures.
Thanks. How do you check for leaks? I M pretty sure I had multiple leaks after a cataract surgery and they just could not see them? One problem seems to be that leaks a temporary and close in hours and in my case were happenning during exersize. Also leaking fluid is tear like so one can't really see it, I understand?
In my case I had blood condition caused by 0 vitamin B12 so healing was not going well as a result, but there is a research paper which states that something like 30% current cataract ops leak - unnoticed.
I can't understand why people are told they can exersize in 2 weeks either. My eye was hurting for 6 month, for example

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 am

Tearing is common and should not be confused with a leaky incision!

When the eye is anesthetized we can physically press on the incision and behind the to challenge it. We use methylcellulose sponges to dry. If there is any doubt the Seidel test with fluorescein is easy to to. I typically press harder and check more thoroughly than demonstrated in this training video:

http://morancore.utah.edu/section-11-le ... -of-wound/

But as a point of reference, you-tube is not going to do justice to what we can see through a $120,000 Zeiss microscope. Maybe Scotland buys surgical microscopes from MatteoV?
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
sergei Scotland (Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Wind Over Water
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Wind Over Water » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:34 pm

Alfarosi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona-Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Castelldefels (Spain) - Tarifa (Spain) - Cotillo (Spain) - La Palme (France) - Dakhla Lagoon (Morocco) - Safety Bay (Australia) - Woodman Point (Australia)
Style: Freestyle - Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Fuel & RPM 2011 and North Team Series 2011
Has thanked: 0

Postby Alfarosi » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:37 pm

I used to wear my SeaSpecs and I was happy with them but unfortunately my lenses started to fade away. I would like to know if it´s still safe to wear them or if it´s normal that this happened.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Still safe to wear
Polarized film in the lenses has delaminated around the frame edges
Those lenses are assembled tight in the frame so the film is under the most pressure at the edges
Not really normal to have that happen
Usually shows up when lenses are quite old and used
Could have been also exposed over time to too much heat also if they were left in a hot vehicle
Hard to pin point exactly

Shows here you can get replacement lenses for $14.95

https://www.seaspecs.com/seaspecs-class ... lenses-c-8

szert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands / Lancing / Southend, UK
Gear: RRD Passion MKX 2019 15m | Ozone Enduro V3 12m | Airush DNA 9m | Slingshot Rally 7m

Postby szert » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 pm

There are UV protection eye drops. How effective are they? How long do they last in kitesurfing condition?

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:27 pm

UV eye drops? Sounds like BS to me. Eye drops don’t exactly coat the eye for more than a few minutes. Link?

Return to “Kitesurfing”