Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:27 pm

My we're up early today Matty, another kiting dream where you get to land the jump but wet the bed?

Got your main man over here today sent all the lefty libs into a frenzy of protest baloons and quite un British carrying on, I'm almost ashamed, almost, he is a climate change denier so should really be taken to the side of the road and shot.

But not to worry you're alright with your cheap specs no need to worry about the Ozone layer you.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:59 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:27 pm
he is a climate change denier so should really be taken to the side of the road and shot.
I thought he was the one that was all about shooting people on the side of the road that did not agree with him?

Hmmmmm.....

I was going to let you prattle on - bringing up politics, ad hominem arguments, and the general thing you are known for. And I support your freedom to say it. But when a person, who has enjoyed the benefits of living in western society, starts calling for people to be shot on the side of the road - I feel that I have to point out the hypocrisy of that. But most importantly, I have to ask you, do you know where your line of thinking leads? (hint: human history)

But then again, the new "Goodwins Law", substitutes the former person focused on, for a more current figure. So I guess I can't blame you for bringing it up. It was inevitable. Lets just hope that repeating some of the darker times of our history is not "just as inevitable". So since you rolled so far off the rails, does that mean I get a bitter victory. Or do you have something to say about my position that you can back up with more than off topic rants?

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:59 pm
CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:27 pm
he is a climate change denier so should really be taken to the side of the road and shot.
I thought he was the one that was all about shooting people on the side of the road that did not agree with him?

Hmmmmm.....

I was going to let you prattle on - bringing up politics, ad hominem arguments, and the general thing you are known for. And I support your freedom to say it. But when a person, who has enjoyed the benefits of living in western society, starts calling for people to be shot on the side of the road - I feel that I have to point out the hypocrisy of that. But most importantly, I have to ask you, do you know where your line of thinking leads? (hint: human history)

But then again, the new "Goodwins Law", substitutes the former person focused on, for a more current figure. So I guess I can't blame you for bringing it up. It was inevitable. Lets just hope that repeating some of the darker times of our history is not "just as inevitable". So since you rolled so far off the rails, does that mean I get a bitter victory. Or do you have something to say about my position that you can back up with more than off topic rants?
Er two points. 1) It's Godwins law and I wasn't actually about to invoke it and 2) The expression 'taking <insert appropriate victim> to the side of the road to be shot', is ahem ironical here in the largely gun free UK, so agreed I perhaps was a tad remiss in once more making shared language assumptions.. Nobody here would really like to see the man taken to the side of the road and actually shot, it's black humour, something lots of snowflakes don't get. Didn't have you down as a Snowflake, lots of other things maybe, but not totally without life experience.
So you'll have to excuse me, I'm just sharpening up the razor wit for the inevitable onslaught from 11 am CET tomorrow.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:42 am

1-It does not "have to have anti- reflective" as most of the sunglasses wearing world gets along fine without. That is your first lie. The idea that there is even an urgent need for anti-reflective in a single lens non-magnifying pair of sunglasses is absurd.

2-"7x more comfort"? You have got to think people are complete idiots here. Not only is this a ridiculous claim, but I love the "ghost images" thing! Are you saying that when you are wearing regular polarized sunglasses with no AR on them, you see 'dead people'? Frikin absolutely hilarious. So you get off at least one more lie, while the other one could possibly be citing a BS marketing study. Thus for that one, you get off with maybe only exaggeration, but more likely you know you are citing someone else's lie.

3-And polarized lenses do not eliminate 100% of the blinding glare. They only eliminate the "blinding glare" in the same plane as the polarization. That is your 3rd lie. And this is where we get into why many of us who have enjoyed the benefits of polarized glasses in other outdoor sports, have found polarized sunglasses to be a liability in the waves.

4-And here is another dose of reality! Prescription eyeglasses, ACTUAL PRESCRIPTION EYEGLASSES, cost less than the stuff you are peddling. And if you look up prescription eye-wear frames, they are one of the highest markup consumer purchases as well. So you are telling me that for a few pieces of plastic, not even customized for my vision, I NEED to pay $200 because......um......muh....coatings?

5-I have got to say that you actually are somehow leading on a few forum participants here. Some seem to be swallowing your "marketing" tactics. I have done what I can, but in the end, it is up to them to decide whether to blow $200 while desperately trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing, or wake up and realize that high end sunglasses are a complete waste of money.
"The backside of dark lenses will act as a mirror to the person wearing the sunglasses and they will have to fight all the ill effects that those reflections causes "
This actually applies to any lenses... even your clear ElCheapos....but with tinted lenses the darker the tint the worst it gets
Clear lenses usually gets both sides with AR...sun lenses can also be made with 2 sided AR but it is mostly done only on the backside only with mirror on the frontside
Matt don't be afraid of no ghost !!

Answer #1
Yes the whole world would see sooooo much better if all their sunglasses had backside anti-reflective
Water spots would be sooooooo much less bothersome to the viewer
Veil of reflected glare from the back surface would not exist

Answer #2
Ghost images is caused by light trapped between front and back surfaces of lenses bouncing back and forth inside
With back-AR it's 7 times more comfortable to look through the lenses

Answer #3
Read again..."reflected" glare...100% of "reflected "glare is what i wrote....it is implied that it means " horizontal "....not vertical....not diagonal

Anwer #4
Wrong about prescriptions...so wrong
Buy single vision Digital HD polarized wrap lenses ( with a compensated RX and base in prism ) with Hydro Oleo Hardcoated Back-AR
It is around $350
RX made by many places also warranty those high end lenses for 2 years 2 times to not scratch included in the price
Ansi Z87.1 wrap safety frames are around $85 ....SPY and WILEY-X as examples....they are sold at that price with clear or just tinted lenses non-polarized
Lenses can just come out to have the RX put in
Progressives lenses ( when you get old enough presbyopia kicks in) so you can read you pump gauge...you cell phone....just add around $200 to the cost of single vision

Answer #5
You can do so much more.... or just admit that i know what i'm talking about
When you pay top dollars for sunglasses that has all the features needed for ultimate clarity kitesurfing / kiteboarding / foilboarding it is worth it

Oh Deer !! Slow down Matt

Last edited by PullStrings on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby elguapo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:36 pm

wait...

i though errbody knew global warming is a hoax.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:38 pm

elguapo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:36 pm
wait...

Ask the Indians in the actual country called India where I believe it hit 45 degrees today in an unprecedented heat wave.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby elguapo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:27 am

not sure if i understand..
are you stating some places on the planet do not get hot?
or...are you saying....sometimes...this planets goes thru stages when it gets relatively hotter or warmer (ie mini ice ages?)

what if....these heat waves are....umm.. idk, normal?
what if we are actually leaving an ice age....and the world is heating up back to normal?

and.. that heat wave is not unprecendented..
2 secs on google told me that commet is untrue https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... hats-1238f.

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:38 pm
elguapo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:36 pm
wait...

Ask the Indians in the actual country called India where I believe it hit 45 degrees today in an unprecedented heat wave.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:04 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Er two points. 1) It's Godwins law and I wasn't actually about to invoke it
By me stating that the "new Godwins law" (thanks for that spelling correction cappy!) has substituted someone else for the original subject person, I was kind of thinking of you directly. In fact, it seems that "Matteo's Law" could be that "for any given kite forum thread that goes on long enough, cappy will jump in with virtually nothing to contribute".

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 pm
.....is ahem ironical here in the largely gun free UK, so agreed I perhaps was a tad remiss in once more making shared language assumptions.. Nobody here would really like to see the man taken to the side of the road and actually shot, it's black humour,
Oh SH-T! You are in the UK? Then writing what you wrote on a forum, is actually illegal. And look up the difference between "humour" and humor. - just returning the spelling check favor.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainCore » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:51 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:04 am

And look up the difference between "humour" and humor. - just returning the spelling check favor.
That my unforunate chap is just what happens to a perfectly good language when you loan it to a bunch of religious fanatics and the irish to go off and inbreed with.
Just like aloooominum and loootenant and of course colour and for your further edification there is no such thing as American English, it's just the Queens English spelt wrong by badly educated children.

Oh and as a sidenote, your man has acquitted himself very well so far, makes us proud to be an American supplicant. :wink:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:51 am
loootenant
Ya know cappy, I am going to be guilty of going waaaaayyyyy off topic here, but this is on my bucket list. I have always wanted to ask a Brit where the hell is the "f" in Lieutenant? Any other words like it in the British dialect of English? - hehe!

Return to “Kitesurfing”