Forum for kitesurfers
tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Re: Self landing and launching

Postby tomato » Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 am

Assisted landing is good if another person is a kiter or has landed kites before. I have done mistake twice by asking beach goers for help (one was wife of beginner kiter)- explained what to do, where and how to hold kite, what will happen, and so on. But both times they grabbed kite by trailing edge and just hold tight. Now I ask if they ever landed kite, if not- self landing is better option.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 am

tautologies wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 am
antonioc6 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 am
Guys my background is windsurf. I am new in kitesurf. Why everyone does not like to self landing and launching? Are kites fragiles?

No, kites are fine to self land / launch...I do it on a regular basis, its just that getting help is both safer and easier.

Indeed yes, you can easily launch and land yourself.

Personal if you like assistance or not, and also spot specific as others said.

Furthermore, it seems that TT riders group up more and almost always use assistance both up and down for some reason.
Often more powered, but also like it is the "norm" and how you do it when on a TT.

Waveriders usually always launch and land alone around here, even if not alone on the beach, for many reasons.
Only at some difficult locations it can be necessary to help each other up and down of course.

Lastly, hydrofoilers always self launch and land, unless it is a foil kite instead of a LEI, then self launching always but mostly assistance when landing.

Above is how it is done around here, but could be very location "surfer" specific (the "kitesurfers" in a specific area that is), even when the kite spot is good for self launch/landing, then some mentalliy prefer to have assistance, others dont use assistance.

Above differences in how you do it leads to some funny situations often, as if you go ashore really lightly powered or in light wind especially, and there are other surfers on the beach, they always come running to help you down, even if far away.
And I dont know any sign how to say "No need to", thus they come running to help you down.
Now you almost have to wait for them to take you down, instead of just landing immediately - as if you land yourself and they are almost there, it seems kind'of rude :roll:
Happens really often, especially with TT riders or newbees on the shore as they dont have the "feel" of when it is super easy to self land your kite.

Often I land it before they start running to help, but it somehow signals "what a showoff he wants to show he can".

Nothing you can do about it, and sounds like a small thing, but when you are friendly it IS actually an issue, and mostly you wait for them :wink:

It is not about not being social, as you go and talk after you have landed - it is a cultural difference so to speak :rollgrin:

When windy, I always use an anchor (at least place one before riding) even when others at the beach, when light wind it is not needed.

Short answer is: Yes self launching and landing is easy and used hugely, if your spot permits. But as a beginner there are risks you have to learn (or experience) so be careful and learn with experience during the years.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
knotwindy (Fri May 17, 2019 7:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 am

''Waveriders usually always launch and land alone around here, even if not alone on the beach, for many reasons.''

And what are the many reasons? I totally do not understand why you do not let someone else do it if there are any.
Here in the Netherlands everyone always helps each other and that is the most normal thing in the world to me and also way more safe for the other people on the beach.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 am

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:11 am
''Waveriders usually always launch and land alone around here, even if not alone on the beach, for many reasons.''

And what are the many reasons? I totally do not understand why you do not let someone else do it if there are any.
Here in the Netherlands everyone always helps each other and that is the most normal thing in the world to me and also way more safe for the other people on the beach.

You say "other people on the beach", maybe that is the main difference? Hardly never happens here on wavespots...

Even if there are others on the beach, either not kitesurfers, or some you dont know well, it can in my experience be more risky to get assistance - some let go too early, or much worse, some dont see a bridle line that has caught a tip or similar, so checking yourself is the safest.

The short reason is we all use the stake method anyways, so no reason to help unless it is "obvious" and practical.

But one has to see the whole picture:

We have hundreds of kitespots around here in the close proximity 45 minutes or less away.
About 20 we use regularly for waveriding, so all 360 degree wind directions are covered.
Meaning, no spots are crowded, so never anyone on the beach not surfing, and hardly never TT riders at these spots of course.

So when arriving at a spot, even if we have an appointment (the web solely is used for this), we hardly never arrive at the same time.
So rigging up and setting a stake or using the stake at a pole is key when you arrive as the first.

Then lets say another kiter appears, starts rigging, and unless he/she knows you will be out longer, another stake is set up of course.
So possible to land when coming in as the last one :D

This is why there are many stakes at the same spot, personal preference where, so not necessarily at the exact same spot.
We always leave our kitebag at the stake or pole, so others know there is a stake if getting ashore and wanting to land.

Usually the position is checked by setting the kite on its tip (kite not too close to the water, and direction correct etc, so thats why you dont want anyone to launch you at first of course.
When doing so, it makes no sense to have the other rider drop his/hers rigging routine (the riders wants to get OUT, when there are good wind and waves) and waste time on something not necessary, unless standing right next to the kite.

Again, when coming in for a break, or changing kite or board or whatever, there is noone at the beach so now the stake is needed.
Riding waves often happens miles upwind or downwind of the launch/land spot, so you dont go ashore that often now.

On a good kiteday, riders come and go but hardly never at the exact same time, so noone at the beach usually, even if we are many out laughing and having fun on the water hooting and sharing out there.

But very rare people go ashore at the same time, when, of course we take each other down.
At bigger wavespots with many riders, you rarely need a stake, but then again, nice to have if you end up being the last to come in, if having a "perfect" day.

Another detail - those using a linecam would prefer to use a stake, but ALSO having assistance is even better.
So the camera can be above and free from sand at all times :thumb:

At a few spots there can both TT riders and waveriders and hydrofoil riders, but rare .
Still, the stake/pole method is so used that most riders use this because of above reasons.

If some is close to the kite, assistance is given, otherwise the kiter sets it up him/herself :rollgrin:

It woks splendidly here, but seems very geographical different apparently :wink:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
knotwindy (Fri May 17, 2019 7:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri May 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Peter, I wholeheartedly agree with idea of using a stake for many reasons but for some reason not done at my spot so I don't have experience with this. Can you share your recommendations for best stakes or ground anchors? Any advice on getting kite to sit steadily on its tip would be appreciated too. Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”