Forum for kitesurfers
Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiting Port Charlotte

Postby Grizwald » Sat May 18, 2019 12:49 am

Anyone out there in the Port Charlotte Area? I am moving to the area and will be looking to kite. If anyone can give me some tips on where to go and what to do it would be appreciated. Kite-spots map is pretty devoid for the area which does not bode well.
Also is anyone has any tips on boats that could be used as a launch platform that too would be appreciated. If I am going to be living in a hot humid environment with reptiles and mosquitoes both big enough to eat you, I am going to have a boat.
cheers
Griz

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: Kiting Port Charlotte

Postby JakeFarley » Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 am

Years ago I read about some kiting at Cayo Costa state park on a lagoon. Not sure if it is still allowed there. At some other state parks there are restrictions as to where you can launch and land during the spring because of the birds nesting. You could PM RickI. I think he is knowledgeable on SW Fla. spots.

Regarding a boat to launch/land from, you might want to consider a flats boat. There's great fishing in that area.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
Grizwald (Wed May 22, 2019 8:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 am

I don't know contacts right in Port Charlotte but two good ones nearby. I would get in touch with Roy at Ace Performer near the Causeway to Sanibel to the south, https://www.aceperformer.com/ . I would contact Lauren with Island Style https://islandstylesports.com/ in Sarasota. Both are knowledgeable about kiting and access issues in the area. They should also be able to fill you in on local spots. Good luck.

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Mon May 20, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks for the information. I will contact both of those folks.
I looked up flats boat and it would appear to be very flat water dependent. I guess it depends on where I have to go to kite and where I would be fishing. Mind you the last time I was fishing it was with a 3 mile long net and 40 years ago so much could have changed.
Again thanks for the information
Griz

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon May 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Those two sources will give you shoreside accessible launch areas for starters. There is lots of sheltered water over there which you can move to by boat as you gain familiarity with the area. It is worth noting that already weak winds will be further diminished in sheltered waters. In the cooler months with stronger westerly winds from cold fronts a different story. You should know our traditional off-season is starting quite soon. There may be thermal winds at times with low predictability, There May be the odd useful winds from some but far from all tropical systems. There will be an abundance of near dead calms and sudden violent squalls or thunderstorms. Be particularly careful about the latter hazardous weather. We have a lot of it in summer particularly on the left coast. It’s best to throw in a trip or two to a viable wind destination during summer to get you through the dry spell and wait until the good clean frontal winds of fall return in October, November and beyond. Good luck
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Wed May 22, 2019 7:32 pm

My girlfriend and I have kiteboarded at Port Charlotte beach park as well as Ponce de Leon Park in Punta Gorda. Ponce de Leon Park is very close to Port Charlotte and has a nice area to set up your kite but its a little sketchy because you must hop a seawall to get to the water. We are usually the only ones riding at those spots. Hit me up when you move here - welcome to join us.

Tony
These users thanked the author Tony in FL for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”