Litewave Wing

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Litewave Wing

Postby alford » Mon May 20, 2019 7:58 pm

You beebad boy, why not just try it for yourself and get back to us?
These users thanked the author alford for the post:
beebad (Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

BillyKP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Georgian Bay
Favorite Beaches: Wasaga, Lake Simcoe, Cuba
Style: freestyle
Gear: OceanRodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby BillyKP » Wed May 22, 2019 12:58 am

The Wing is a big board that handles and feels like a small board. The carbon fiber version makes it feel small and very light. No fins on toeside too, so you can slide from heelside to toeside like a Mako.
Don't pre-judge when you see 165, its irrelevant with the Wing. It's defenitely NOT a Door or a plank!
These users thanked the author BillyKP for the post:
beebad (Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 pm)

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Mon May 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Can confirm, it glides through lake chop. Very smooth board. Hauls upwind.
These users thanked the author Whattheflock for the post:
Litewave Dave (Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 pm)

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:53 pm

I took it out for the first time yesterday when my 12m did a full hindenburg and rolled 3 times without inverting ....anyway, light wind...broke out my 15 contra and this board and it planned very well. Wind came up and the chop increased and it was nice to have a lot of board under me...

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:53 pm

I think I really like this board after a few days this year-Not just a light wind board. I still like my Cabrinha Spectrum as my goto board, then the light wave and lastly the Cabrinha ACE. These are just my preferences!!! YMMV
Litewave Dave wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 pm
The Wing handles higher wind & big chop due to the increased rocker over other light wind boards. Also goes over whitewater in waves no problem. Rocker also makes it easy to initiate a back roll, etc. I normally ride at Sherman Island where the chop/swell is similar to the Gorge, but a little smaller.
Attachments
IMG_1780e.png
IMG_1779e.png
IMG_1778e.png

indysurfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: hefty
Local Beach: Lake Travis
Style: dork
Gear: TT, Surf,Foil, Wingfoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby indysurfer » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:21 pm

I am a tall 240 lbs and love the 165 in a blow. I have tried several other carbon boards that claim to "eat up" chop but have not ridden anything that comes close to the smooth ride of the Wing. without giving up speed or pop. It is just so easy to load up and hold an edge in chop (that would bounce out most boards) that you can choose to jump wherever and whenever you want. So if your timing is just a little off (often the case for me), you can still salvage a great boost. And if your timing is good, you just go that much higher or have that much more control! The speed is great too, it is fun blasting by (upwind - or down) other guys who weigh 50-70 lbs less on the same size kite. I like the 165 so much that I am thinking about getting the 155 as my "high wind" board. They are both so nice on the knees and ankles and ride over the chop you normally have to negotiate or work through. I like how the heelside fins are not all the way out on the tips, maybe that helps the board feel smaller somehow. It loads up quickly despite its length. The offset toe-side fins are also a plus for grip and drive.
I am not affiliated with Litewave Dave but have met him when he comes around for demos. I liked his boards but did not buy a Wing the first couple times he came around. I knew how amazing it was in the light winds, but had no idea how great it is in high winds 20-30. I wish I had gotten it sooner! It has saved me a lot of sessions on lighter days or when it was extremely gusty. Great go to board for me.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:04 pm

I tested one a few years ago it's a great board. I own the original Spleene Monster Door the Spleene is wider and has better absolute low-end but the Wing is a bit more forgiving in the chop when the wind goes up. Now i foil in those condition but if you don't want to be bothered with foils or you ride in very shallow water it's a good board. Obviously it's not a high wind board but you can keep using it in small chop maybe up to 15 knots.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:47 pm

Why would you use it in high wind and chop if it's not designed for it?

Would you wear a thick raincoat on a dry summer day!

beebad wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:48 pm
What happens with this board in higher wind?
How does a lightwind board act in higher wind and chop?

bigboes
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 195 lbs
Local Beach: Waddell
Favorite Beaches: Waddell
Style: Twintip / Surf
Gear: Nomad, Crazyfly LTD, Naish Monarch, Naish Pivot, OR Mako, Core XR5, Slingshot Turbine, Cabrinha Contra, LF Solo, Litewave Xwing, Slingshot Mixer, Flysurfer flyrace/razor, Sector, Underground raceboard, Cabrinha Tronic, Best Roca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bigboes » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:01 am

After owning one for a year I found that the "wing" part of the board really digs into the water providing superb edge control and great upwind tracking (for door sized boards). This control also translates into being able to hold down bigger kites. The board also rides very smoothly through chop.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:24 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:47 pm
Why would you use it in high wind and chop if it's not designed for it?

Would you wear a thick raincoat on a dry summer day!

beebad wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:48 pm
What happens with this board in higher wind?
How does a lightwind board act in higher wind and chop?
It's nice to have boards and kites with "range".
Not always practical to switch out if conditions ramp up a bit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”