Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Dash, Global, Skater, Motion
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Pivot 2020

Postby Dirk » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 pm

I am using the Naish bar, but I am not emotional about bars. It is solid, QR is reliable (key criteria), diameter is small (key criteria). I have been replacing lines once or twice (it’s the 2017 model) and use high quality Liros . I believe they improved the lines since 2017 . I replace the depower rope and safety line when they are worn out.
I replaced the V distributor of the 2017 model, which was bad on the lines by the common bracket and ball, which is also used on the bars now.

I use ATB and BTB. I like the unique factor of the BTB, that you can swivel it under the bar. The only other BTB bar still available I guess is from Slingshot and that still has that non functional Swivel above the bar.

If it was not the Naish bar I would probably use Slingshot or Cabrinha, as they seem to work well with the kites. Any bar with low V will. In Germany those two mentioned are usually the cheapest you can get on sale.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby BudhaNl » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:53 am

Naish bar for me as well, the 2016 has been my go-to for the past years, upgraded the lines once (pre-emptive, no reason to). That's btb and I like it a lot. That still has the useless high swivel. Recently purchased the 2019 torque ATB. Love the swivel, it's a bit thinner than the '16 which is no issue. Getting used to ATB, I'm not sure whether I like that a lot. Maybe exchange it for btb in the future.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: A bit of everything.

Postby Chicken-loop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:24 am

I’m using the a 2019 NAISH Torque with BTB trim. I really like it especially the new lines as they seem very robust.

The only thing I don’t like is how far the bar goes up the lines when you hit the safety.

Don’t think I have found the perfect bar yet though.. First world problems.

nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 pm

Using Naish base bar simple very light don't need any swivel I loop the kite when the lines get twist using only 8m pivot 2017 from 17- 35 knots 20+4m extensions great kite

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Brouwersdam/Vrouwenpolder/Oostvoorne/Krabbendijke, NL
Surfers Paradise, BE
Favorite Beaches: El Coche, Ras Sudr, Zanzibar
Style: Big Air, Freestyle
Gear: Naish kites, Nobile board, Mystic harnass and O’neill wetsuit.

Postby SurfboY » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 am

Anyone that can compare a Naish Torch 8m (2019) top end with the Pivot 8m 2020? I was in 32knots gusts 40 with my 8 Torch which was too much, I wonder if a 8m Pivot would have worked better.

I read you need to take one smaller size in Pivot and that the wind range is similar. But that’s all from older versions of the Pivot. What about 2020?

I don’t mind being overpowered, that’s what I want for Big Air. But I need to be able to hold my edge.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Guincho, Sylt
Style: Big air, waves
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Dash, Global, Skater, Motion

Postby Dirk » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:28 am

The profile of the Pivot has not changed fundamentally since it was introduced. Compared to a C-Shaped hybrid kite like the Dash or a full on C-kite I would suggest to take a meter smaller. With my 73 kg I would be on my 7m Slash in those winds riding a TT (i would be on a 5 riding my surfboard), and the Slash is a bit less powerful than the Pivot. Was out on my 8m 2020 Pivot yesterday in 20-25 knots. Love it. Did not feel a difference to 2019, but I could only tell if I ride it side by side. Maybe I will do this one of these days as I handed my 2019 over to my son.

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Surfers Paradise, BE

Postby SurfboY » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 pm

It’s hard to choose, I’ve never been so confused with choosing a kite. I love the Torch but it’s really working on you in high winds and you drop too fast with high jumps. Pivot seems a good solution, or maybe Dash. I don’t really do a lot of unhooked tricks now, just enjoying big air, some loops and hooked in tricks. Hopefully I can test both but that’s hard here.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm

SurfboY wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 am
Anyone that can compare a Naish Torch 8m (2019) top end with the Pivot 8m 2020? I was in 32knots gusts 40 with my 8 Torch which was too much, I wonder if a 8m Pivot would have worked better.

I read you need to take one smaller size in Pivot and that the wind range is similar. But that’s all from older versions of the Pivot. What about 2020?

I don’t mind being overpowered, that’s what I want for Big Air. But I need to be able to hold my edge.
TLDR; Yes you could have used a Pivot. Read the longer version too.

So, personally I think giving advice on top end is a bit hard. There are so many variables that come into play...comfort, board, riding style, rider weight..even temperature seems to impact wind strength. So in colder weather, it feels to me like the wind has less power. But of course, it could be just conditions as well. When that is said, even if I cannot do a direct comparison with the 2019 8 torch..I've ridden a few of them before. I also have an 8 pivot for this year.
In 40 knots you'll be lit. Way way lit on a pivot for sure. I do not doubt that it can handle lit conditions. I've ridden a 9 pivot in well over 30knots, and although sending it was fun, I got to some uncomfortable heights so this year I opted for the 8 pivot for those conditions. I do not think it hits 40 knots tho. Might want a bit smaller for it.

Yes sure you'd normally choose at least a size smaller for pivot vs torch, but pivot is much much more comfortable to ride lit than torch IMO. But they handle very differently. I tend to prefer pivot by a pretty big margin. Torch was fun when I was younger.
Torch puts a lot of management on your board handling and pressure, and the pivot relies more on the bar tho once you get lit, certainly all your board skills from the torch will come into play. In lit conditions jumping a torch is great for superhuman athletes, where pivots you can use the bar more actively to gain heigh. Certainly, the pivot has that gut-wrenching pull when jumping lit, but not quite as much as the torch. Its a lot easier to correct a jump on the pivot..especially when using 9 or lower sizes...

If you do not unhook personally I would go for the pivot any day of the week. It still pulls in loops, but obviously not like the torch, but key for me is being able to correct shit that goes wrong. Last time I really looped a torch I ended up with PT for 6 months.
Pivot I use mainly for surfing waves and TT.

leeuwen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 7/ 10 /12 / 17M, Alien air Foil, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon

Postby leeuwen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 pm

tautologies wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 pm
even temperature seems to impact wind strength. So in colder weather, it feels to me like the wind has less power. But of course, it could be just conditions as well.
Air temperature certainly impacts power.
However it is the other way around:
You lose ballpark about 10% of the wind power between 0 and 30 degrees Celsius.
This is because warmer air is less dense

Note that humidity also affects power.
Higher humidity is less power. Also about 10% change between 10% and 90% humidity at 25 degrees Celcius
(gets less pronounced when the temp drops since it can hold less moisture)
Maybe a bit counter intuitive but this is because the molecular weight of water vapour is 18, while that of the air is around 29.
Therefore, more humidity decreases the effective weight of the air, consequently decreasing the mass that is pushing against the kite.

SurfboY
Very Frequent Poster
Surfers Paradise, BE

Postby SurfboY » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Alright thanks for the feedback. Still hard to choose, now I’ve also added the Duotone Dice as an option. If I would just read all marketing articles I would probably go for the Naish Dash, but not everybody is so enthusiastic about that one

Return to “Kitesurfing”