Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Mexico
Style: strapless freeride, surf
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Firewire

Core Nexus in Gusty Wind

Postby Jwoo » Sat May 25, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm interested in the Nexus, but can't find any information about how it handles in gusty wind. I think the Nexus will work well for me, as my main focus is wave riding, but we don't always have waves, so I (try to) kite freestyle when there's no surf. Seems like a good option for both.

Unfortunately, where I kite the wind is gusty. Where I surf it's side off and VERY gusty. I've been using an OR Prodigy, as is handles gusty wind very well, but with the Prodigy, in the surf it's a little difficult to control speed/pull in side off conditions, especially in the gusts. I'm looking for something a little more surf oriented than the Prodigy, but still have fun with it in flat water.

Seems to me if the Nexus handles gusty winds well, it may be worth trying. So... anyone happy with the Core Nexus in gusty conditions?

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core Nexus in Gusty Wind

Postby Exal » Sat May 25, 2019 4:17 pm

Was talking to a guy in cape town who I helped landing a 8m Nexus in a day with 30-33 knots constant wind and gusts up to 38-42. I asked him how he liked the nexus and he said that the kite doesn't care about the wind and is very stable.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
Jwoo (Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm)
Rating: 10%

kiste
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: Naish Park 2012 14,10,7
Has thanked: 0

Postby kiste » Sun May 26, 2019 8:23 pm

I have Nexus in 10,8,6m and also ride in gusty conditions quite often and like them very much :thumb:
I use them for wave, foiling, freestyle and also boosting with the 10m when the wind is blowing hard ;)
These users thanked the author kiste for the post:
Jwoo (Mon May 27, 2019 4:52 pm)

MattyM
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Postby MattyM » Mon May 27, 2019 8:50 am

Maybe the nicest kite I have ever flown. It just looks and feels 'right'. Very precise - always goes exactly where you put it. Great for gusty conditions as it's so well behaved and sits a little way back in the window so won't over-fly. Not so hot in marginal conditions, where kites like it's counterpart - the XR - do a bit better. Will jump big if well powered and you know how to really send it. But like the GTS you need to ride the kite aggressively to get the most from it.
These users thanked the author MattyM for the post:
Jwoo (Mon May 27, 2019 4:51 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”