Local Beach: Strand Horst, Netherlands
Mirns, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Plage du Veillon, France
Zandmotor, Kijkduin, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mainly North, just switched to Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone leading edge bladder failures?

Postby Cees Kerkmeijer » Tue May 28, 2019 9:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2397042&start=30

I have a similar issue with my 12m v1 Enduro, the problem started after having used the kite about 10 times. Very "vague" leakage, I think it's due to the construction of the wing tips, see the above-referenced thread. The le bladder has been repaired once now (it took 3 visits to the kite repair center who initially couldn't find the leak). Now after having used the kite for 2 sessions it's leaking again.

JaZone
Medium Poster

Postby JaZone » Wed May 29, 2019 2:35 pm

What about putting some tear aid tape on the bladder , just where it goes through the little retainer bungee , to make thicker and prevent the chafing that wears through the bladder.

Or, some sort of sleeve or sock to cover the bladder end.
I would get an old kite and cut some canopy material and make something.
These users thanked the author JaZone for the post:
Cees Kerkmeijer (Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jjm
Medium Poster

Postby jjm » Wed May 29, 2019 8:54 pm

First thing to check with a leaky leading edge is to make sure there is no sand in the boston valve threads and gasket.

petato2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Has thanked: 0

Postby petato2 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 am

Hi all,

Any experience on this bladders issue from users of Ozone Reo ??

I am planning to buy a v3 or v4 and a bit concern now.

I know valves fall apart with years2 of use, but not almost new

Cees Kerkmeijer
Rare Poster
Mirns, Netherlands

Postby Cees Kerkmeijer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:40 pm

A kite buddy of mine just had all his bladders replaced (under warranty) of his 12 meter v2 Enduro, apparently something to do with bacteria in the glue for the bladders. (???) Never heard of this before.... In the meantime my 9 and 12 v1 Enduro's (100% without sand in the Boston valve threads and gasket) have been at the kite repair centre for more than 1 week now, haven't heard anything yet. I purchased both kites new, the 12 (which I don't use much) started leaking after about having been used 10 times and the 9 after about 30 sessions. Hardly any sand, not subject to "basking" in the hot sun (I kite mainly on inland lakes in the Netherlands), no crashing, no drag launching, just simple freeriding, this seems like a quality issue to me.

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Have you found where they are leaking?

I have older catalysts from 2013/14 and I'm now finding slow leaks from the boston valve due to over tightening, replacing the male part hasn't solved it on one of my kites and using ptfe tape had negligible effect. So im now cutting off the valve to replace it.

Cees Kerkmeijer
Rare Poster
Mirns, Netherlands

Postby Cees Kerkmeijer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 pm

For my leaking V1 Enduro's I was offered a pretty good deal for new V2 Enduro's, hopefully they"ll last a bit longer. A couple of weeks ago I had a "mid-air blow-out" at one of the wingtips of my 10 v9 Edge. (used about 40 sessions of 1.5 hours, spread over about 2 years). The repair shop suggested a twisted LE bladder during the pumping up of the kite. Before switching to Ozone I had never had any issues with LE bladders.

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:14 pm

HI, this is Iain from Ozone. Just to clear up some of the posts. We do have our own factory, we do make our own bladders but we purchase the valves from a supplier, we do not have injection moulding machines in the factory. The valves are ultrasonically welded onto the bladder material and should not peel off. They are not stuck on, they are fused onto the material.

In the factory, we do pump up all our bladders for 4 hours after they are made and then the kites are pumped and left for 24 hours after the bladders are put into the kites. Any leaking bladder is changed for a new one, we never repair them.

It is true that we have had customers that have had some issues with their bladders, the issue is mainly due to an odd plastic infection that is usually kicked off in hot and humid countries or if left in the boot of a car for a long time in the summer. The infection creates small holes in the valve and it goes white and can leak. We found the source of this issue and changed the process at supplier level earlier this year, there have been no issues since then. We are reacting to these cases one by one as they account for less than 1% of all the kites out there.

We are reacting to any kite with this issue by shipping new bladders from our factory to the shop, school or distributor where the kites were bought.

If you have a leaky bladder there could be one of 2 things. The first is the more likely that it is from a puncture on the beach, this can happen to all of us, the second is that there is an issue with the material. If it is the latter then take the kite to the shop where you bought it and the warranty will be dealt with very quickly by us, we are on it with customer service and as we are all riders we know how frustrating this is. The shop will be shipped a new bladder set from the factory.

I hope that this helps to clear up any questions. Cheers Iain
These users thanked the author Hannay for the post:
zlatko23 (Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 pm)

Qman
Rare Poster
Gear: 6m and 9m

Postby Qman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Hannay wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:14 pm
We are reacting to any kite with this issue by shipping new bladders from our factory to the shop, school or distributor where the kites were bought.

If it is the latter then take the kite to the shop where you bought it and the warranty will be dealt with very quickly by us, we are on it with customer service and as we are all riders we know how frustrating this is. The shop will be shipped a new bladder set from the factory.
So Ozone kiters are aware, in my experience this is a 4 week (first time leaking leading edge bladder) to 6 week (second time leaking leading edge bladder) turnaround and a frustrating / time consuming experience.

Ozone / the distributor initially denied the leading edge bladder leaked, they had the kite and I had sent photographic evidence.

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi Qman, please could you let me know who this was by sending me the serial number of your kite in an email to iain@flyozone.com I will look into it. If the dealer does not have it in stock then there should be a turn around of 24 to 48 hours for us to reply, depending on the day and then 3 days to make the bladder and 5 to 10 days to ship it to the shop. A total of 10 to 15 days, I am surprised it got to 6 weeks.

I am very sorry that happened and would be interested in following up on that to learn how we can do better.

Thanks Iain

[/quote]

So Ozone kiters are aware, in my experience this is a 4 week (first time leaking leading edge bladder) to 6 week (second time leaking leading edge bladder) turnaround and a frustrating / time consuming experience.

Ozone / the distributor initially denied the leading edge bladder leaked, they had the kite and I had sent photographic evidence.
[/quote]
These users thanked the author Hannay for the post:
zlatko23 (Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”