Rare Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone leading edge bladder failures?

Postby petato2 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:57 am

Hi Hannay one question.

I have been riding another brand for years, and decided some months ago to move to Ozone when I tried the Reo. We all know how good the Reo flies so dont need to mention the reason to change.

Due to budget constrains I have been buying, recently, second hand Reos v3 and v4, as well as Catalysts 2015 for my soon. I am conscious that of course I cannot expect the same level of guarantees as I could have for a brand new kite brought to an Ozone distributor.

I have not experienced any bladder problems with this kites, but reading the above posts I am starting to get worried. I would not have changed kite brand if I would have known that I have to replace the bladders, as they tend to be expensive.

My question is, if I start experiencing the same problems with my bladders, can I expect any short of support from Ozone, whatever that os, or I ll have to purchase new bladders at spare retail prices ?

Thanks in avance for clarifying.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:55 am

Then you will most likely not experience any issues. It is not like Ozone bladders are all failing. I have never had any issue with the main valve on any of my kites.

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:21 am

Hi petato2, thanks for buying Ozone, the Reo has always been in my kite bag.

If you have problems with your valves then please get in touch with your dealer who will deal with your request, we will react and send you new bladders if it is a manufacturing issue. No problem. Please do not assume that your valves will break but if you are worried then inspect them well the next time you see the kite or take the kites to your dealer to inspect. Where are you based?

As Havre says above, this is not a massive issue, but it is an issue if it happens to you and I would like you to know that we will stand behind our products.

Having our own factory means that we have all the patterns for all the bladders back to 2009, we can remake most spare parts for all our kites produced. Our bladders and spares are at a sensible price and we make them to order so you are not buying old stock.

I hope this helps settle any doubts. Cheers Iain
These users thanked the author Hannay for the post:
zlatko23 (Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:40 am)
Rating: 6.67%

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos), Milos & Agios Nikolaos (Lefkada)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m, Switchblade 7m, Contra 13m, Ozone Enduro V2 9m & V3 11m, CrazyFly Raptor LTD

Postby zlatko23 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:21 pm

I also had a leaking bladder on my 9m Enduro V2. It happened out of nowhere after ~30 sessions on it and was as described by @Hannay earlier - leakage at the valve connected to the bladder. I was disappointed as this happened during my vacation, while the wind was blowing! But I am extremely happy how my case was handled by the distributor I bought it in my home country Bulgaria(F-2 EOOD) - they took my faulty kite, gave me a temporary replacement(though 10m, not 9m :) ) and replaced the bladder under warranty in 4 days! I like how Ozone kites fly, but the after purchase support seems to be even better! I have already ordered 11m Enduro V3 with them, can't wait for it to arrive next week.
Thanks Ozone and F-2!

sonny2727
Medium Poster
Gear: North, Ozone, Taaroa, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses

Postby sonny2727 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:01 pm

I don't have a lot experience with Ozone kites but the only time a bladder failed was on a Reo 8m (2014) after about 20-30 sessions and the thing that surprised me was it came out of nowhere as I didn't crash the kite or anything like that. Looks like sand gets in and rubs against the bladder causing sudden failures. Though my experience is not a scientific evaluation, due to limited sample size, for the moment I've decided to buy other brands and after many years I haven't had bladder failure with any of the other brands. Perhaps the problem is due to thin bladders couple with open inflation value, which doesn't prevent sand from getting in, say unlike Duotone Airport valve. I also see problems with Ozone kites as a price you have to pay for getting lightweight kites as if it's the same sort of material there got to be a compromise. I'm going to wait for Aluula or similar to be cheaper and try to ride out the existing old ones.

petato2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Been thanked: 0

Postby petato2 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:27 pm

My experience,

I changed from another brand and had my doubts on durability because they seem (are?) lighter kites, but after two years with Ozone kites, I have not have any issue.

I use Reos 12 and 10 and I share with my son Catalysts 8 and 6, all of them we bougth second hand (budgetary restrictions), and they all are performing great. And the thruth os that they fly awesome, specially the Reo.

I have no links at all with Ozone.

knyfe
Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:10 pm

I fly Ozone for years - never a single problem with the bladders or valves.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos), Milos & Agios Nikolaos (Lefkada)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m, Switchblade 7m, Contra 13m, Ozone Enduro V2 9m & V3 11m, CrazyFly Raptor LTD

Postby zlatko23 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:13 am

@knyfe - there is/was NO intention to bash Ozone kites here! On the opposite - my post was to praise them and their Bulgarian dealer with how a warranty claim was dealt with. As @Hannay wrote - there was a real issue with bladder/valve leaks in certain batch of kites, that was quickly fixed on supplier level. As an user I know such issues are inevitable with every brand, what makes the difference is how such problems are dealt with. So an A+ to Ozone from my side here!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 pm

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Never say never:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2397042
Never say never, what? Sorry, lost me there. Image

Return to “Kitesurfing”