Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone leading edge bladder failures?

Forum for kitesurfers
knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ozone leading edge bladder failures?

Postby knyfe » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:19 am

I am on the 4th ozone kite and never had a bladder issue. I fly them until they are truly dead - weak cloth and splitting in mid air.

Mid warm climate and 6psi on the pump. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Currently own two v9 edges. G

Dowbblering
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 82 kgs
Local Beach: Sunshine coast
Favorite Beaches: Windy ones
Style: Twin tip
Gear: Ozone edge and c4
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dowbblering » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:45 am

I do live in a hot spot being on the sunny coast so I’m always careful to never leave kite in a car that’s in the sun etc. i even take it into work with me if goin to be windy in the arvo. Interesting about the bladder / plastic infection. In the strut that keeps blowing in mine I noticed a discoloured patch.

mattenzuchtig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable

Postby mattenzuchtig » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 pm

regular northeast European climate,
kites are always in a trailer which never heats up even not in a holiday resort with 30+°c room enough in it.

I fly Ozone from their second tube type which if I remember wellwas instinct sport with some kind of 5th line.

nearly each year I changed my kites....but used them like couple of times on a weekly base, much more that the average kiter who only flies them in a weekend with wind.

This to say I never had a problem, untill I buy a set of Ozone Reo V4 ...new, every single kite 9 7 5 had leakage.
The moment I came from the water and opened the strut clamps...air would flow into the LE, tried everything, new valves, cleaning before screwing them etc...nothing would work.

It took a long time before finally Ozone was willing to change the bladders of all kites ...thx to the dealer, but it took such a f...ng long time.
The explanation from ozone was a microbe in some glue they use, although now they/ Iian, states the valves are all welded..

Why if Ozone says that there are only a few cases , be so reluctant to provide a service and warranty solutions?? we do pay a lot of money, and find we can expect a good service especially when the problem occures with just new kites...

Btw...I have a set of Reo V5 no problems
matti t.
These users thanked the author mattenzuchtig for the post:
Qman (Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:24 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:31 pm

mattenzuchtig wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 pm
The explanation from ozone was a microbe in some glue they use, although now they/ Iian, states the valves are all welded..
Sounds like the same problem Cabrinha had back in 2001. Supposedly their bladder material was vulnerable to microbial attack resulting in leaky bladders. Had to replace all the bladders in my 21.5m Blacktip.

richieski
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ever i am
Gear: Ozone

Postby richieski » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Had my 9m C4 since 2012. Never had an (manufacturer)issue with holding air. I pump up rock hard. I am near the artic (UK) haha. Usual leaks tend to be from sand on the rubber seals. Always brush off any sand before putting valve in and a bit of spit helps seal it. Also check under the seal (fixed part). I had a slow leak and some sand got in under the seal so best to remove it periodically and check for debris.

Dowbblering
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 82 kgs
Local Beach: Sunshine coast
Favorite Beaches: Windy ones
Style: Twin tip
Gear: Ozone edge and c4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dowbblering » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:27 am

This is my C4 bladder less than a year old. Valve is peeling off. Despite doing all the right things like keeping out of hot cars etc. This is my third ozone kite bought from new that I have had bladder issues within the first year of use. I thought the valves were meant to be welded on now.
Attachments
0B2D5E83-C38F-4F41-B121-2DEEC06819AA.png

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:48 am

That a very helpful picture to post, I have been wondering what's going on as I have always found it invasive to replace an ozone valve on my old kites due to the welding of the clear material. Good to know what to look for on 2014-2020 kites.

It's quite sad that a customer these days who spends >1000 on a kite is having failures, and worse still struggling to get bladders ok'd by Matt McTaggart that are peanuts to make in Vietnam. The cut throat nature of the industry is worrying.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:48 am
It's quite sad that a customer these days who spends >1000 on a kite is having failures, and worse still struggling to get bladders ok'd by Matt McTaggart that are peanuts to make in Vietnam. The cut throat nature of the industry is worrying.
My question is :
WHY would anyone reading a topic like this ; even consider buying an Ozone LEI kite ?

Bille

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Bille wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm
ScoopZ wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:48 am
My question is :
WHY would anyone reading a topic like this ; even consider buying an Ozone LEI kite ?

Bille
When your local dealer offers you an at the beach discount over facebook. :lol:

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:20 pm

Bille wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm
Because I really love my edges and never had an issue with bladders through multiple versions of the kite and models. For me - zero problem kites. For others obviously not and then it comes down to their willingness to make it right for their customers. And I hope they do.

G

Return to “Kitesurfing”