Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to make a wind-kite-board-weight table?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to make a wind-kite-board-weight table?

Postby iriejohn » Fri May 31, 2019 8:13 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:53 pm
A few hints:
First off, as a beginner, estimating windspeed is almost not possible, and a hand held windmeter can be risky if you are not aware of how "wind" works in detail and have experience.
Hope this helps. :D
A small hint:
Some people starting kite surfing might already have experience in estimating wind speed and how wind works in detail.
Hope this helps. ;-)
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
badgb21 (Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 am)
Rating: 10%

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Fri May 31, 2019 12:06 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:13 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:53 pm
A few hints:
First off, as a beginner, estimating windspeed is almost not possible, and a hand held windmeter can be risky if you are not aware of how "wind" works in detail and have experience.
Hope this helps. :D
A small hint:
Some people starting kite surfing might already have experience in estimating wind speed and how wind works in detail.
Hope this helps. ;-)
Exactly. Some of us came from windsurfing or sailing backgrounds.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
badgb21 (Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:50 am)
Rating: 10%

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4; Boards: Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Fri May 31, 2019 12:44 pm

80kg rider, alaia or surfboard
18m foil kite - 8 to 14 kts
12m inflatable - 11 to 22 kts
9m inflatable - 16 to 28 kts
7m inflatable - 20 to 32 kts

SWO_kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: BR, Mbay, Cedar, RB, KP
Style: Freeride
Gear: Very used kites, bars and boards

Postby SWO_kite » Fri May 31, 2019 1:35 pm

To the OP:

Having a totally defined table is not a long term answer to picking a board/kite combo. Right now, while you're still a beginner, I can see the appeal, but this is not a sustainable solution to being the best rider you can be.

Each kite/board combination has it's benefits. You should experiment to see what works for you best. Don't rely on others information to get you riding. I made that mistake many times in my early years. My point is, what works for someone else, may not work for you. For me, lots of riding time wasted listening to other riders advice and not listening to my gut when picking a kite size.

I recently had this same conversation on my local beach with some riders who've been riding for a few years and still can't quite pick the right combination in certain conditions. I'll try to sum it up into two examples;
I pick a larger kite and small board when riding in rough water, but I would pick a smaller kite and bigger board for more smooth water. Additionally, I might pick a bigger kite and big board if the forecast is showing that the wind will fade out as I ride. I've become VERY comfortable riding over powered, but lets say the wind never fades. I would then keep flying the bigger kite and switch to a smaller board to make riding more enjoyable.

I suppose then the real advice I have to offer is to start off conservative(as a beginner), but really don't hold back your own progression sticking to a "kite table". As the years go by, really try to push yourself to try new kite/board combinations, even if you feel you might be over powered. The more comfortable you are being powered up(or trying new things), not only will you be a better kiter in slower winds, but you'll really be able to find the limits of your gear and yourself. And that in itself will give you the experience to know what works and doesn't work for you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”