Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

mystic stealth bar

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:30 pm
^^^

I like the idea of minimal line wear. Your setup looks great. Do you have a source for a shackle that fits the 3D printed wheels from Shapeways? Thanks.
Use 6mm stainless steel 'D' shackles which normally have a 6mm bolt.

I use these below (break load ~1500kg) because the bolt (6mm diameter) has a recessed slot so can't catch on anything and there's always a screwdriver around:

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/stainless- ... tted-head/

But they're also available with other bolt fixings such as hex:

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/stainless- ... hex-flush/

Plenty of other suppliers, they are a standard marine product.

nb:-

- If the pin is not totally removable (captive pin) then there must enough space to fit the wheel.

- Sometimes the jaws need to be widened by 2-3mm to fit the wheel. Screw the bolt in from the top (thread at the bottom) and use a drop of blue loctite on the thread to prevent movement. The bolt should be tightened up hard against the sides of the wheel then backed off a quarter or third of a turn to enable the wheel to turn freely. The point of doing this is provide the narrowest possible gap for sand to get in, but if it does get in it gets ground by the wheel and stainless shackle sides and bolt.

- Every session, before going out ensure the wheel turns freely by hand. Water is a lubricant.
Last edited by iriejohn on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby jmach » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:37 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:43 pm
Ah, what the too short rope loop was designed for! :duh:

stealth bar small loop.JPG
Didn't realize how the short loop feature could work this way either until recently. It's surprising Mystic didn't highlight this, it's a very clever and functional option.
The North bar looks great, especially like the quick-change chicken loops and the tunnel in the PU tubing.
These users thanked the author jmach for the post:
purdyd (Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:31 pm

If you are going to use a D shackle and wheel with 4 or 5mm hollow braided dyneema you may find that the runner line will occasionally jump off the wheel and jam between the side of the wheel and shackle if the gap between them is too big. This was the case for me with my roller hook which has a similar wheel set up to irejohn's D shackle.

There are 2 cures; apply tape to the D shackle just above the wheel, or perhaps better still, insert a suitable core into the runner, I used 3mm yellow dyneema to make it easier to see wear.

Imho the runner operation feels better if it has a bit of slack and this will also lessen the load on the line, irejohn's set up in the drop box looks about right to me.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Tape & core insert.
Attachments
IMG_20190831_145547.jpg

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:05 pm

I had a little D-shackle like that in my harness connection. And a few weeks ago it suddenly released while riding along. Only one side of the shackle was bent so I assume it just screwed itself out without me noticing over time.

Would recommend either checking that it is tight often, applying locktite or preventing the pin from unscrewing with safety wire or other technique. Just something to look out for.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:38 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:31 pm
If you are going to use a D shackle and wheel with 4 or 5mm hollow braided dyneema you may find that the runner line will occasionally jump off the wheel and jam between the side of the wheel and shackle if the gap between them is too big. This was the case for me with my roller hook which has a similar wheel set up to irejohn's D shackle.

There are 2 cures; apply tape to the D shackle just above the wheel, or perhaps better still, insert a suitable core into the runner, I used 3mm yellow dyneema to make it easier to see wear.

Imho the runner operation feels better if it has a bit of slack and this will also lessen the load on the line, irejohn's set up in the drop box looks about right to me.
The clearance between the side of the 6mm D shackle I use and the side of the wheel is less than 1mm, a 5mm rope simply can not jam in this space. Unless it is badly worn, of course, in which case it should have already been replaced.
PrfctChaos wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:05 pm
I had a little D-shackle like that in my harness connection. And a few weeks ago it suddenly released while riding along. Only one side of the shackle was bent so I assume it just screwed itself out without me noticing over time.

Would recommend either checking that it is tight often, applying locktite or preventing the pin from unscrewing with safety wire or other technique. Just something to look out for.
That's what I said in my post.
Last edited by iriejohn on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 pm

Good point prfctChaos. I thoroughly clean/degrease and epoxy all the threaded parts of this system. Even with blue loctite the port attachment shackle pin kept loosening. I still feel the need to inspect all the threaded parts before use.

If I was making up my own D shackle I would peen over the end of the pin if there was sufficient thread protrusion.

Irjohn glad to hear you did not have the problem I had with OEM gear. The dyneema as supplied could pull down to a wide flat band that was pretty thin. Otherwise solid kit. Eyeballing the clearance with pulley wheel pulled to one side 2-3mm, and the soft weeve dyneema managed to get in there, Murphy's Law perhaps.
Last edited by Herman on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 pm
Good point prfctChaos. I thoroughly clean/degrease and epoxy all the threaded parts of this system. Even with blue loctite the port attachment shackle pin kept loosening. I still feel the need to inspect all the threaded parts before use.

If I was making up my own D shackle I would peen over the end off the pin if there was sufficient thread protrusion.

Irjohn glad to hear you did not have the problem I had with OEM gear. The dyneema as supplied could pull down to a flat band that was pretty thin. Otherwise solid kit.
I am not using any OEM (Dynabar/Jaystor) gear.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Irejohn
I appreciate that, I was just talking generally for anybody who is interested. I certainly don't think you need my advice, it is obvious that you are well sorted!

Regards Herman

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:24 am

After two sessions on the Spectra Gray I can say that there is noticeably less friction on the black slider ring vs the stock Dyneema. The Spectra does stretch out more than the Dyneema. Assuming equal or better wear, I prefer the Spectra.

Return to “Kitesurfing”