Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

mystic stealth bar

Forum for kitesurfers
knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby knotwindy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Curious, what problems have you had with two lines?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby elguapo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:13 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:22 am
Where did the line break? Center, or where it exists the bar holes, or...?

Thanks much
the center. just snapped right in the middle..
i'll try taking a photo

Two lines sucks. Insert normal thin flying line as core /think splicing/ into the slider line as last resort insurance go home without drama.
interesting.

why do you say 2 lines suck?

i really dont see how even one line that size could get fatigued and break under any type of 'human on a kite' type load.. maybe i could understand if i was on a 21m kite in hurricane winds while trying a tow an oil tanker.
but i was foiling underpowered on a 3m snow kite when the twintippers were rinding 15-17 meters.
i'm thinking of simply using an old sailing line...since i know those lines function and arent just there to look pretty



i actually *almost* was able to get the peak4 re-launched.. but the ozone loop barely fit into that small '2nd' fixed dyneema cord. (so..took a few seconds too long getting re-attached....and i had a nice little swim)

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: foil
Gear: Slingshot 633/590/DC36/SST
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby oregonkiter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm

IMG_3502.JPG
Thanks for information re line break location. My worry has been where they exit bar, because you really can't inspect there. I have about 2.5 months on mine, a lot of hours, foil only. Line looks slightly fuzzy, but noth9ng I would normally worry about.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:43 pm

two line sucks because it wont slide as nice as one - two lines is like jam and skid. For sure it will be slider dependent. Im using just 5mm ring /5mm is wire diameter not ring/

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby knotwindy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:19 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:43 pm
two line sucks because it wont slide as nice as one - two lines is like jam and skid. For sure it will be slider dependent. Im using just 5mm ring /5mm is wire diameter not ring/
Thanks for the reply. I used to use two lines with one slack so mostly riding on one line with the second line there just in case the tighter line broke, so we use them differently.

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby purdyd » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm

I think the rope is just something you will have to replace often, I’ve seen far many broken ropes to mess around, I’m on my second rope and will probably change again this winter.

I don’t see anything special about the rope other than it is says it is black dyneema.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:56 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1732
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby iriejohn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:50 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:43 pm
two line sucks because it wont slide as nice as one - two lines is like jam and skid. For sure it will be slider dependent. Im using just 5mm ring /5mm is wire diameter not ring/
Two lines will slide just as well as one 5mm line as long as you splice two full lengths of 3.5mm* Dyneema inside each other which gives almost exactly the same total diameter (4.95mm) as a single 5mm rope. Then if the outer breaks you still have the inner.

hth

* I use Marlow Ropes 3.5mm Dyneema.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
purdyd (Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:24 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby purdyd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:24 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:50 pm
tomtom wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:43 pm
two line sucks because it wont slide as nice as one - two lines is like jam and skid. For sure it will be slider dependent. Im using just 5mm ring /5mm is wire diameter not ring/
Two lines will slide just as well as one 5mm line as long as you splice two full lengths of 3.5mm* Dyneema inside each other which gives almost exactly the same total diameter (4.95mm) as a single 5mm rope. Then if the outer breaks you still have the inner.

hth

* I use Marlow Ropes 3.5mm Dyneema.
That is a really good idea.

Herman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm
Kiting since: 0
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby Herman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:24 pm

With regard to line breaking on sliders you have to bear in mind that you are using what I call a rope lever. The tension in the runner line is considerably higher than that in the centre lines. Been a while since I did any real engineering but a quick look suggests to me that the tension in the runner will be T/2 X 1/sine ∆ where ∆ is the angle subtended by the runner and the line of the 2 attachment points.

For my Dynabar which is ~ 230mm long with a line reaching ~30mm from the line of the attachment 1/sine∆ is ~4. Therefore when my 200lbs is hanging on the harness the tension on the line, neglecting stretch etc, will be 400lbs. This is well within the breaking strain of the line I use, 5+3 dyneema. (Core insert makes it run in my pulley hook better as well as added strength. The outer is grey, core is bright yellow which may help assess or spot wear.)

However if you want to reduce the load use a longer rope to enlarge ∆. Please feel free to check this analysis!

When I do my next replacement I intend to go from 30 to 40mm of runner slack, but this will be for the sake of the way it feels rather than any load consideration.
Last edited by Herman on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
purdyd (Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:24 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: mystic stealth bar

Postby purdyd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 pm

Good point. Looks like tension on rope is force from kite divided by 2 x sine theta.

I hadn’t considered that. A really tight rope will have a fair amount of load.
67360BD3-225B-4C7E-A9BE-A9A06A2902C3.png
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Herman (Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 am)
Rating: 10%


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], joriws, MSN [Bot] and 23 guests

cron