Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR3 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo single concave vs. double concave boards

Postby Kirok » Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 pm

I have ridden Mako single concave boards since 2006 and now I also have a Core Fusion 2 board that has a double concave bottom. I had both boards out yesterday in choppy conditions and both boards were fine. The Mako board that I had out was my Mako original skinny from 2006. I nearly never ride this but yesterday the conditions were perfect for it and I wanted a change. Anyway, that board seems to slice through the chop while the Core Fusion board rode over much of it so, while fine, the Core did not handle the chop as well imo. There is a length consideration to factor in. The Mako is 150 cm while the Fusion is 139 cm.

I am not trolling here but I wanted to know others experiences with double vs. single concave boards? Can we get any comments from the Ocean Rodeo crew on this one?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Ocean Rodeo single concave vs. double concave boards

Postby juandesooka » Fri May 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Personally I've never been able to pinpoint this kind of specifics on surfboards or kiteboards. Back in the day, when the surf crew would get into the details of how a 1/16" difference in tail width was really holding back their off the lips, my mind would wander to lunch plans. But I am sure you will get many detailed responses from others with more detail oriented mindsets ... ;-)

However, I know what feels good and what I like, and the Mako is a chop monster! Seems more or less universally appreciated for that. It also rides way different than a normal twintip, to the point that I'm not sure it can be considered in the same category. With the single fin centred, rounded rails, and deep concave, I think it rides more on the rails than off then tail/corner ... some kind of hybrid that is maybe more like a snowboard or skateboard than a regular twintip. I don't ride mine as much as I used to, due to the foil virus, but I still bring it every session and use it when the wind ramps up to and above my kite size.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
Kirok (Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:39 pm)
Rating: 10%

apollo4000
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber Sands
Favorite Beaches: Camber Sands, Greatstone, Minnis Bay, The Bluff, Marazion, Alcudia
Style: trying hard
Gear: Blade, North, Nomad, Shinn, Ocean Rodeo, Nobile, Airush, Slingshot, Crazyfly
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:52 pm

Kirok wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:50 pm
I have ridden Mako single concave boards since 2006 and now I also have a Core Fusion 2 board that has a double concave bottom. I had both boards out yesterday in choppy conditions and both boards were fine. The Mako board that I had out was my Mako original skinny from 2006. I nearly never ride this but yesterday the conditions were perfect for it and I wanted a change. Anyway, that board seems to slice through the chop while the Core Fusion board rode over much of it so, while fine, the Core did not handle the chop as well imo. There is a length consideration to factor in. The Mako is 150 cm while the Fusion is 139 cm.

I am not trolling here but I wanted to know others experiences with double vs. single concave boards? Can we get any comments from the Ocean Rodeo crew on this one?
I prefer the single concave and oval ended boards myself. I’ve ridden a Mako 150cm and now ride a shorter Nomad wave TT. Both eat chop and mush. Similar look but I prefer the fin setup on the Nomad, as well as the lightweight carbon, another factor; such a fun board to ride.
These users thanked the author apollo4000 for the post:

GregK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Postby GregK » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:49 am

When I look at the original 150 Mako I see similarities ( narrow width, deep single concave ) with a high-performance slalom ( single ) water-ski, except maybe for the tail rocker, slalom skis tend to be flatter in the tail section.

I loved riding the 150 Mako because it rode with much more even front-rear leg pressure, and its smoothness through chop made it soo much easier on my bad knees.

Only slightly double-concaves ( or slight centre -V ) I've owned have been surfboards, and I don't think the amount of that double-concave really had a noticeable effect on the board's ride.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”