Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Dash 9m (1st edition) does NOT fly

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Dash 9m (1st edition) does NOT fly

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:29 pm

You would be unlucky if the bridle was made symmetrically wrong but possible of course. In an ideal world the manufacturer would publish the bridal drawings and amendment states so that it would be easy to check, identify spares or make replacements.

Although the average rider is unlikely to be to able modify a symmetrical screwed bridle they ought be able to tune pigtails.

If a bridle is only screwed on one side the kite will veer off to one side and you start comparing left and right bridles.

If you have panel problems you will see pinches of wrinkles etc if you have a combination of these things and an offset strut you are having a really bad day.

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:29 pm
You would be unlucky if the bridle was made symmetrically wrong but possible of course. In an ideal world the manufacturer would publish the bridal drawings and amendment states so that it would be easy to check, identify spares or make replacements.

Although the average rider is unlikely to be to able modify a symmetrical screwed bridle they ought be able to tune pigtails.

If a bridle is only screwed on one side the kite will veer off to one side and you start comparing left and right bridles.

If you have panel problems you will see pinches of wrinkles etc if you have a combination of these things and an offset strut you are having a really bad day.
Well the bridle could be wrong in a simmetrical way or he might have a bridle from lets say 12m kite ... who knows ?
Best bet is to fine tune it to the best back line/front line ratio. If the kite is still a dog ... contact the dealer (altho I would do it stright away).

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I doubt that it is possible for a manufacturer to provide a kite tuned so that it did not ever backstall as this dependant on apparent wind speed. A wing will stall at lower air speed etc. Back stall can be useful and I do not always ride with it tuned out of my sheeting range.

Yes the manufacturer should provide gear that works.

Imho an established rider worth their salt should be able to test a kite and set up pigtails, to make sure they are not getting into an avoidable administrative hassle with the retailer. They should also understand backstall. If it is not correctable on the pigtails you may have a real problem!

The novice will need help but I would encourage them to develop an positive attitude towards this sort of problem rather than just expect nanny state gurrantees because this does not sit well with basic seamanship.

Maybe the lawyer who can only kitesurf weekends will, justifyably, have a completely different attitude!

Probably my last contribution; if you are tuning out back stall don't go too far or you will be vunerable to luffing into a Hindenburg.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:18 am

Czezz. Assuming it is not a rogue kite!

Keep bar flying lines equal. Lots of reasons, compatability and safety with other kites.

Put knots in rear pig just less than bar throw above current knot (ref your first post.)

If not enough rear pig for this the front pigs are too short and should be replaced by retailer.

Simplistically speaking!
Last edited by Herman on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
czezz (Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:54 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 am

Czezz. Assuming it is not a rogue kite!

Keep bar flying lines equal. Lots of reasons, compatability and safety with other kites.

Put knots in rear pig just less than bar throw above current knot (ref your first post.)

If not enough rear pig for this the front pigs are too short and should be replaced by retailer.

Simplistically speaking!
Last edited by Herman on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:37 am

The above assumes Naish rear pigs are knots.

When people say the front or rear lines are too long it can be erroneous. Really they mean the pigtail plus flying line plus leader line is too long. Rule of thumb keep the bar equal and modify pigs to suit.

I put the above in because I noticed the thread got sidetracked into generalities. Hope this helps! Ask away if you have any questions.

czezz
Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Park 2013&2014
Nobile T5 2014
Been thanked: 0

Postby czezz » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:53 pm

That's right Herman. I just did like u said (and also Dirk suggested on the beginning of this thread).
I eventually trimmed back the bar to default settings (all lines equal) and did a knot on the back-pigtails.
Back lines on the Naish bar end up with knot but also with loop (see attached picture 2.png to better understand what i mean). So I it should be no problem. (cant test it anytime soon, though).

I have been also trying to get in touch with dealer to sort out this situation... but that goes really sloooooowly.
The other issue I have with this kite is how it is made up - see pic3.png to see what I mean.
Attachments
3.png
2.png
2.png (420.85 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 am

Czezz

The advice I gave was, as I said,assuming your kite had knots on the rear pigs. From your last post it appears the rear pigs are loops. In that case instead of shortening the rear pigs it would be more elegant to lengthen the front pigs. Making knotted pigs is easy enough but if the length is not available as supplied something is wrong. Hopefully it may just be that the front pigs are made too short or the rear pigs too long but it needs proper investigation. Putting knots in looped pigtails is not a proper solution as you loose an element of rigging safety.

czezz
Medium Poster
Style: freeride / wave
Gear: Naish Park 2013&2014
Nobile T5 2014
Been thanked: 0

Postby czezz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Im not sure about that... giving 3rd part extension lines to the front lines which are also part of safety system (actually just one of them) to me is more of a loosing a rigging safety.
Back lines on the bar seems to be ready for both: knot and loop (did u see the pic?).
Either way these are workarounds and I would like to hear form Naish dealer (which Im trying to get in touch).

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:21 pm

If it were my kite I would fit a longer front pigtail, not just add an extension. I may add an extension as an interim just to establish the required length of the new pigtail. It is fundamentalaly easier to make and adjust the knot pigtail wether it is the back or front line connection.

How do you envisage a longer front pigtail affecting the flag out system???

Of course as it is a new kite the retailer should sort it out for you and, of course, it may be more than just a pigtail problem.

If you are going to test make sure you do it in light wind. Have a good think about how a kite is rigged and how the angle of attack is controlled. Then understand how flagging works and what lengths are critical!

Return to “Kitesurfing”