Qman
Rare Poster
Gear: 6m and 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: switch kite alternatives

Postby Qman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 am

alexeyga wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 pm

In 2018 I've picked up a 1st gen Enduro 12m. Flew great initially, very close to the original C4 – albeit – with higher bar pressure.
But then with time it developed some issues:
-These damn webbing strut reinforcements – they do shrink from UV exposure - hence shrinking and cork-screwing the struts.
-The whole canopy got twisted to one side.
-Had a few leaks, thus I had become really good at removing and re-installation of the whole main bladder - and some of most notable points come down to:
1)Bladder material that current Ozone kites use – is thinner than the “standard” and as a consequence – a lot easier to damage. A few large-ish grains of sand inside a bladder can really screw up you kite trip if you use Ozone kites…
2)The way how main bladder’s tips are folded and secured – when compared with other brands – makes no sense what so ever. Neither from durability or reliability view points.
I have a Enduro V2 (current model) and I am on my 3rd leading edge bladder. Leaks appear from small sand grains that get between the leading edge dacron material and the leading edge bladder. They are very difficult to repair because of the small size, I have spent a fortune on unsuccessful repairs. If you kite regularly from a sand beach I would suggest doing your research on Ozone.

I now keep a spare bladder set until I replace the kite with an alternative brand.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 pm

Qman wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 am
I have a Enduro V2 (current model) and I am on my 3rd leading edge bladder. Leaks appear from small sand grains that get between the leading edge dacron material and the leading edge bladder. They are very difficult to repair because of the small size, I have spent a fortune on unsuccessful repairs. If you kite regularly from a sand beach I would suggest doing your research on Ozone.

I now keep a spare bladder set until I replace the kite with an alternative brand.
My bladder vs sand issues came from sand particles being inside the bladder. A real bummer. A few years back I helped a friend to fix a twisted bladder on a 2010 RPM… that was one sad, tired donkey with the bladder full of salt crystals and sand… thing is – it still was the original bladder with zero repairs on it.

How did we get to a point where a kite can be rendered unusable but few sand particles?

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 am

alexeyga wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 pm
How did we get to a point where a kite can be rendered unusable but few sand particles?
Back then most kite bladders were made from 125 micron / 0.005 inch thick polyurethane film. Now to reduce the kite's weight, most current bladders are made from 80 micron / 0.003 inch film.

The reduction in bladder thickness makes them more susceptible to pin-holing from sand or salt crystals.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
Milko0k (Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:38 am

A friend who works in a kite shop told me a bundle of kite brands had pin hole bladder issue last year, they were made poorly and some have been able to claim warranty on it.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:45 am

GregK wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 am
alexeyga wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 pm
Back then most kite bladders were made from 125 micron / 0.005 inch thick polyurethane film. Now to reduce the kite's weight, most current bladders are made from 80 micron / 0.003 inch film.

The reduction in bladder thickness makes them more susceptible to pin-holing from sand or salt crystals.
Does anyone make a bladder in between 125 & 80?

pmania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Workum
Favorite Beaches: Nice beach at the sea, with some good waves!
Style: freestyle
Gear: Switch Legacy v2 9m, Element v3 9m & Nitro v3 12m +v6 10m 2 x Controller 3 and MJ 140x43 Pansh A15 18m
Naish Aero 14m North Rhino 2009 10m Jaime Pro 2005 M
Old & broken: North Rhino's 2005 10m+14m Rhino 2006 14m and vegas 2007 7m F-One Impact 2006 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby pmania » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:55 pm

https://www.spleene-kiteboarding.com/ They once had on their website that they could send kite+bar+board for you to test and when you like it you pay if not you send it back, i can't remember the exact details and can't find it anymore even searched on archive.org. I also didn't contact them back then. Prices look nice and they have a new bar looks pricey but the other stuff pricewise seems ok and also have foil gear.

alexs4
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby alexs4 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:34 pm

Be ware of Zian kites. The kites are ok, but the company turned to be a fraud.
Robert Berends owner/founder collected down payments and disappeared.
He owes USA distributor $20,000+, Australian distributor 200,000 euro.
If he shows at any of your beaches please cut his kite, I’ll buy you a beer.
Faxie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 am
Toby wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 am
dswebb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 pm
What are the direct to consumer alternatives to switch kites? They seem to be doing a Best and ditching their direct to consumer approach with increased prices and an as to unannounced distributor.

Zian kites? Any reviews of the Hantu?
Gong kites, any reviews of the Freewave?

Who else am I missing that I should be checking out?

Cheers

Switch keeps placing ads on here with massive sales...are you aware of it?
Are you aware that the base prices were standard discounted, that discount went away and the 'massive sale' got back, essentially giving you a 15% sale, with which you end up with the same price as the past models? Don't forget the taxes are not included anymore.

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:04 pm

I confirm! My last post here under Zian account.

Just like the others I've been screwed over by Robert. Invested 6 years of my life in the factory and company without any salary but left empty handed end of 2018 when it became clear he was not willing to keep any promisses I was working for and was lying straight into my face.

Factory is closed by the authorities as people were not paid for 3 months!

This account can be deleted!
These users thanked the author Zian kiteboarding for the post:
NoHater (Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:40 pm

Reviving this old thread... Gong announced they will be carrying Ullman kites (and their wings of course). Who has ridden Ullman kites and how are they? I imagine the pricing will be very attractive.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:49 am

kjorn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:50 am
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 am
alexeyga wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 am

I've been using Zeeko Rev-s in smaller sizes since 2016 - that is side by side with Airush and Ozone kites - and honestly - Zeeko gear was on pars and sometimes better in terms of flying characteristics and build quality. Especially vs last years Ozones - which fly great, but at the expense of very light and less robust materials.
Just FYI, there is no difference between Ozone materials and construction from last year and the year before. Ozone is built as light as possible but not at the expense of durability. Ozone uses Teijin D2 cloth, they have been approached by Teijin to use the more expensive tri and quad thread versions of the same cloth. Ozone did their own durability testing and found there was no advantage, but the cloth weighs more and costs more, so they said no. The leading edge dacron is the same as at least 50% of the main brands, its made by Teijin too. Bladders are the same PU, lines and bridles are all very high quality too, and from manufacturers that already supply line to the paragliding division.
Well, I dunno, Edges seem to break all the time. My mate has busted his a few times and has moved away from Ozone. Enduros look OK though, not heard of any issues with them.
Yip i can the edges dont last. Love the kites but my 9 and 11 V9s got stress rips in same spot after 15 months. I have V 10 now so hoping they are better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”