Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

switch kite alternatives

Forum for kitesurfers
lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: switch kite alternatives

Postby lightwind » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:45 am

Gong is made from the same materials you would expect to see on any other kite brand. Very good build quality and amazing costumer service. I own strutless model and I’m super happy with it.

Donniehall14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Point/Princeton Point, Robinson's Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8M Takoon Chrono
10M Ocean Rodeo Razor
12 Switch Nitro

Postby Donniehall14 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:51 am

If you're not set in any certain brand just shop around. I ended up getting a sweet deal on an Ocean Rodeo Razor and will probably buy another if I can get anywhere close to the same deal as I love the kite. So many good kites out there and good deals. Too bad Switch switched directions as I would have continued to buy kites.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:01 am

Donniehall14 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:51 am
Too bad Switch switched directions as I would have continued to buy kites.
Ya, I have seen some Switch Kite users kind of baffled of late. Still, I like some of their old models. And Felix will get things back on track. R&D is pretty difficult when you have to move away from what worked well, to.........something different.

What is your take on the new designs since Bill left?

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:20 am

Well I just bought a Pansh A15 12 metre... Damn good free ride old school,
jump, hangtime and reasonable turn speed as my low / medium wind kite if yor into foil kites.
I won't mention the price - you might flat line Haaa :)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 am

dswebb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 pm
What are the direct to consumer alternatives to switch kites? They seem to be doing a Best and ditching their direct to consumer approach with increased prices and an as to unannounced distributor.

Zian kites? Any reviews of the Hantu?
Gong kites, any reviews of the Freewave?

Who else am I missing that I should be checking out?

Cheers

Switch keeps placing ads on here with massive sales...are you aware of it?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 am

Toby wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 am
dswebb wrote:
What are the direct to consumer alternatives to switch kites? They seem to be doing a Best and ditching their direct to consumer approach with increased prices and an as to unannounced distributor.

Cheers

Are you aware that the base prices were standard discounted, that discount went away and the 'massive sale' got back, essentially giving you a 15% sale, with which you end up with the same price as the past models? Don't forget the taxes are not included anymore.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:50 am

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 am
alexeyga wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 am

I've been using Zeeko Rev-s in smaller sizes since 2016 - that is side by side with Airush and Ozone kites - and honestly - Zeeko gear was on pars and sometimes better in terms of flying characteristics and build quality. Especially vs last years Ozones - which fly great, but at the expense of very light and less robust materials.
Just FYI, there is no difference between Ozone materials and construction from last year and the year before. Ozone is built as light as possible but not at the expense of durability. Ozone uses Teijin D2 cloth, they have been approached by Teijin to use the more expensive tri and quad thread versions of the same cloth. Ozone did their own durability testing and found there was no advantage, but the cloth weighs more and costs more, so they said no. The leading edge dacron is the same as at least 50% of the main brands, its made by Teijin too. Bladders are the same PU, lines and bridles are all very high quality too, and from manufacturers that already supply line to the paragliding division.
Well, I dunno, Edges seem to break all the time. My mate has busted his a few times and has moved away from Ozone. Enduros look OK though, not heard of any issues with them.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:54 am

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 am
Toby wrote:
dswebb wrote:

Cheers

Are you aware that the base prices were standard discounted, that discount went away and the 'massive sale' got back, essentially giving you a 15% sale, with which you end up with the same price as the past models? Don't forget the taxes are not included anymore.

So it's the same price like past models.
Ok tax not included, but gear gets more expensive every year...with all brands.

Won’t get cheaper. Fact.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:54 am
Faxie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 am
Toby wrote:

So it's the same price like past models.
Ok tax not included, but gear gets more expensive every year...with all brands.

Won’t get cheaper. Fact.
It's not a massive sale. Fact.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 am
Just FYI, there is no difference between Ozone materials and construction from last year and the year before. Ozone is built as light as possible but not at the expense of durability. Ozone uses Teijin D2 cloth, they have been approached by Teijin to use the more expensive tri and quad thread versions of the same cloth. Ozone did their own durability testing and found there was no advantage, but the cloth weighs more and costs more, so they said no. The leading edge dacron is the same as at least 50% of the main brands, its made by Teijin too. Bladders are the same PU, lines and bridles are all very high quality too, and from manufacturers that already supply line to the paragliding division.
Oh you really shouldn’t have opened that door… ))))

Here’s the list of Ozone kites that I owned:
2006 Original Instinct – 0 issues
2007 Edge – 0 issues
2008 Edge – 0 Issues
2010 C4 9m – 0 Issues
2010 C4 12m – picked it up used, abused, beaten, repaired and re-repaired – 0 issues, flew straight and strong
2010 C4 15m – 0 Issues
2011 C4 12m – Most fun 12m I ever owned – 0 Issues
2011 C4 15m – Worst year to year upgrade I’ve ever made – fun and light all rounder has became a fat pig with idiotic bar pressure – 0 Issues with quality and construction though

Test drove a coupe of 2012 C4-s in different sizes and that was the end of Ozone for me at the time. A bookcase example on how to screw up a perfectly good kite.

In 2018 I've picked up a 1st gen Enduro 12m. Flew great initially, very close to the original C4 – albeit – with higher bar pressure.
But then with time it developed some issues:
-These damn webbing strut reinforcements – they do shrink from UV exposure - hence shrinking and cork-screwing the struts.
-The whole canopy got twisted to one side.
-Had a few leaks, thus I had become really good at removing and re-installation of the whole main bladder - and some of most notable points come down to:
1)Bladder material that current Ozone kites use – is thinner than the “standard” and as a consequence – a lot easier to damage. A few large-ish grains of sand inside a bladder can really screw up you kite trip if you use Ozone kites…
2)The way how main bladder’s tips are folded and secured – when compared with other brands – makes no sense what so ever. Neither from durability or serviceability view points.

To Ozone’s credit – they were quite helpful with the whole “twisted canopy” thing and I’ve got a replacement Enduro V2 – which I absolutely love flying and boosting the crap out of it (bar pressure still being too high) – and I’m going well above and beyond to maintain it properly, but ask me if I’m confident about Ozone’s quality and robustness Today vs what Ozone kites used to be back in 2008-2010.

As a parallel story: among my friends we have a local mega-looping and boosting star who's main kite for a period of time also was the 1st gen Enduro 9m. Granted that this kite has been pushed to its limits (for a relatively short period), but at some point it has became really poor at boosting and wouldn't catch the owner anymore after a real kite loop. Canopy stretch - was the verdict. Nothing to be done - the bird was dead.
Last edited by alexeyga on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”