Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the difference between a beginner, intermediate, and advanced twin tip?

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, Best Spark, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What's the difference between a beginner, intermediate, and advanced twin tip?

Postby Havre » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 am

Good post, but it doesn't really prove anything unless, as you say, others have done the same.

To me it sounds odd if they don't change the design somewhat across the range. A beginner needs a board that is easy to ride upwind and that "floats" well. More advanced riders will look for other characteristics.

I haven't tried too many boards unfortunately. Would be fun to test a bit more. I quickly notice when a board is too small (I'm close to 2m tall), but I'm not sure if I could pick out the "beginner" board vs. the "advanced" in a blind test assuming they were both the correct size.

Herman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: What's the difference between a beginner, intermediate, and advanced twin tip?

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

Havre. Imho that's the point. In light wind the expert and beginner need the same characteristics it's just that the expert would be really be aware of the weight of a cheap board. A rich beginner and an expert of the same size could well be on the same board.
Arguably no board is too small, it just needs more power. Has anybody barefooted in flat water next to a sandbar in a F8?

Wind Over Water
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Litewave Wing
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wind Over Water » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks all. So it sounds like the main differences are:

1. Rocker profile - beginner boards have less rocker
2. Weight - more advanced kiters may want a lighter board made with carbon

I'm looking for an intermediate level board that's somewhat friendly in light wind conditions. But not too big and bulky, as I want to try jumping soon. What size board should I look for? I'm around 80kg.

Havre
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, Best Spark, Mystic Majestic

Postby Havre » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am

Herman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am
Havre. Imho that's the point. In light wind the expert and beginner need the same characteristics it's just that the expert would be really be aware of the weight of a cheap board. A rich beginner and an expert of the same size could well be on the same board.
Arguably no board is too small, it just needs more power. Has anybody barefooted in flat water next to a sandbar in a F8?
I'm not going to say that you are wrong, because I am not qualified to make that judgement. However, if this was the case manufacturers (disregarding marketing) would make one type of board with potentially two different material choices (one lighter one that would cost more). The more advanced you are - the more flexible you would be to the size of the board.

That said. I agree that too much is made out of this. For beginners - go big enough and you are usually quite OK regardless. I have seen fairly inexperienced riders do perfectly fine on 1k boards that were clearly made for more advanced riders.

Herman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:31 pm

This is not maths, there are no absolute rules it is just loose description and opinion. There are no hard and fast parameters for the name of any board.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Herman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:31 pm
This is not maths, there are no absolute rules it is just loose description and opinion. There are no hard and fast parameters for the name of any board.
Best description yet.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Herman (Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm)
Rating: 10%

SolarSet
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Switchblades 10/14 Soul 15m
NHP split & XTR

Postby SolarSet » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:54 pm

IMHO

Advanced TT will be stiffer allowing better pop and better upwind ability at the expense of less comfort on choppy water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”