Forum for kitesurfers
sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Changing kite connection(s) from loop to knot

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 am

Sorry - searched this forum bu still not sure how to do this.
I have bar with knot in the front lines and loops on the back lines. I bought a Slingshot kite which had knots on the front lines amd loops on the back lines, so does not work with my bar.
Questions
1)Bars front line connector is a loop with a knot on it and is used as a knot by the kite which came with it(Blade kite and Blade Unibar V2 bar).
Can I use the bars loop with a knot in it as a loop to connect to a knot on the Slingshot kite front bridle? Is it safe that way?
2)I d like to modify kites bridle connections not bar so I can just connect bar to any of my kites.
The change from kites loop to knot is easy as I can add a pigtail to that using loop to loop handshake knot and use a pigtail with a knoth on the other end-correct?
3)How do I change kites knot connections to have a loop? If I just connect a pigtail using normal kite connection to the knot on the bridle then I will have 2 easily dismantled normal larks connections in series on this lines when I connect the bar to pigtail using another larks knot?
Is this safe and the way to do it?
I guess larks knots never indo by themselves really but obviously a handshake knot used to connect pigtails to lines are even safer as they can't be undone at all?

P. S. I can see how to modify bar lines by replacing pigtails on the lines but don't want to do that every time I switch kites as this is not recommended an more chance of error etc.

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Re: Changing kite connection(s) from loop to knot

Postby DAnderson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:24 pm

These users thanked the author DAnderson for the post:
sergei Scotland (Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Sergie we meet again, I am on ice!

Loops with knots can be used as the loop part of larks head.

You need to research splicing and rope/line. It is easy to splice as if it is hollow 12strand dyneema.

At a push splicing can all be done with a wire guitar string, a roll of celotape and good scissors.

Loads of videos on brummel splice. You don't need the inversion method because you can get to both ends of rope.

The brummel and or stitching is only there to hold the splice in position whilst unloaded - ponder that one.

I have done what you are discussing loads of times, it's easy but you must understand material and splicing.

Quick fix can be a big knotted loop but knots make you vunerable to tip tangles and deathloop.

Do your research and come back if you have questions! Regards!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 pm

When you make a knot set it, ie pull it into place and tension it.
sergei Scotland (Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:17 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Should have said you can just buy suitable pigtails, but being able to make up my own rigging has saved me a small fortune. Indeed if I had any modifications to do I probably would not be submitting stuff to the forum. To get confidence in your work proof test it. You should be able to hang your whole bodyweight on a typical pigtail. Look up max load and braking loads for the dyneema you are using. I learnt to sow as well but I don't like to talk about it.
Making a soft shackle is a good exercise to get you started!!!

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:56 pm

DAnderson wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Thanks but this video talks about using pigtails on the lines side - I. E line always ends with a loop and a lop to loop is used. I need to change bridle end where my centre lines end in a knot on a straight piece of dyne a which is also sewed through before knot is made, so I can't splice it.
So : is it OK to use a pigtail like in the video to connect to a knot on the bridle and expose a pigtal loop to connect to the bar line (ending with a knot) ?
Basically I will have 2 lark head knots on my centre lines, both potentially can be easily disassembled - is this a problem or is it just fine?
obviously the reason is I want all my kites to have loop connector on the front lines, so I do not need to modify bar side at all

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Should have said you can just buy suitable pigtails, but being able to make up my own rigging has saved me a small fortune.
I guess the correct answer to how to change knot on center lines to a loop is "Don't". The bar's pigtail has a universal loop with a knot in it connector so I can connect it to a knot by using existing bar pigtail end as a loop.
I will then add short pigtails to the steering lines loops (as loop to loop) to expose a knot I need. The steering lines will become slightly longer which I should be able to compensate by using a knot on the very end of the front bridle line ? Is this how it works with (2011) Slingshot?
Is this the best way?

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi Sergei
Solution is much easier. The pigtails at the kite bridles can be changed! 5 min of work

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:30 pm
Sergie we meet again, I am on ice!

Loops with knots can be used as the loop part of larks head.

You need to research splicing and rope/line. It is easy to splice as if it is hollow 12strand dyneema.

At a push splicing can all be done with a wire guitar string, a roll of celotape and good scissors.

Loads of videos on brummel splice. You don't need the inversion method because you can get to both ends of rope.

The brummel and or stitching is only there to hold the splice in position whilst unloaded - ponder that one.

I have done what you are discussing loads of times, it's easy but you must understand material and splicing.

Quick fix can be a big knotted loop but knots make you vunerable to tip tangles and deathloop.

Do your research and come back if you have questions! Regards!
Thanks. I am definitely interested in splicing, but in this case the front lines have knots on a sewn through piece of dyneema, so not sliceable I guess.
Get well.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:29 pm

What’s the problem with two larks heads in a row using a pigtail?
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
sergei Scotland (Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:39 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”