Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are the Differences between an Wave kite and a Freeride Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: What are the Differences between an Wave kite and a Freeride Kite

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:08 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 am
pretty much...

not as much as the industry makes out though- watch ben wilson wave riding videos from 2006... better riding than 99.99% of waveriders today.,

modern kites do give a better compromise of going back upwind and spilling the wind out when you dont need it though while waveriding.
Well, Ben would tell you that his kites were the first true wave kites, with weight balanced for good drift in the design brief from the very start. The reality of all the footage of Ben killing it in waves is that its all in side off conditions. He kills it no doubt, but that's a pretty major factor when it comes to how you ride in waves. It's the direct opposite wind direction to 90% of wave riders worldwide.

Not being critical of the kites he's using. The true anti hero of surf kiting Ian Alldredge was on BWS for years and rode primarily gnarly west coast cross on conditions.... and made it look incredible.

he is pretty sick, but you got to know that his advice sometimes doesnt apply to the conditions you have to ride in yourself... like using the same size board for kiting as for surfing.. just isnt going to end well if you cannot control your speed.

I have have sessioned with ian, he is one of the few (only) riders outside of NZ that rode with a really fast aggressive style on a surfboard at the time.. actually I havn't really seen too many ride like that since.

antonioc6
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride waves
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby antonioc6 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Guys very good conversation. Thank you all for all your opinions. Learned a lot with them. Good.lite sessions for everyone. Cheers

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:39 am

If you're trying ti wave ride in onshore or side onshore conditions, the turning speed of the kite & the ability to depower the kite are at least as important as "drift". I remember when I first tried a dedicated wave kite as opposed to a free ride kite: it allowed me to crank a turn harder without generating much power in the kite. It was noticeably different in feeling. However, there is also some variation in the way dedicated wave kites perform.

Return to “Kitesurfing”