Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil boards with minimal volume (built like a twin tip)

Forum for kitesurfers
austroKiter
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Foil boards with minimal volume (built like a twin tip)

Postby austroKiter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Foil wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 pm
this for me is odd,
can you say why you prefer a board and rig which from my experience sinks just under the water surface, and can not be seen as a result when you crash?
its certainly a feature that make me avoid that route.
Main reason is for light wind water start where it helps if more of the board is under the water line so you have maximum leverage to get up and going.
Of course the board still needs to have at least some floatation so that the whole thing doesn't sink with the foil...

austroKiter
Medium Poster

Postby austroKiter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Live2KITE wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 pm
Hi there,
The ones we use and sell the most on the twin tip construction are the AXIS Minimal Volume foilboards.
3 different sizes of the Minimal Volume construction, $699
105 x 45cm, 125 x 45cm, 145 x 45cm
Thanks, could you provide some info on the weight?
Are they also available without straps inserts?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:07 am

austroKiter wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:13 pm
Foil wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 pm
this for me is odd,
can you say why you prefer a board and rig which from my experience sinks just under the water surface, and can not be seen as a result when you crash?
its certainly a feature that make me avoid that route.

Main reason is for light wind water start where it helps if more of the board is under the water line so you have maximum leverage to get up and going.
Of course the board still needs to have at least some floatation so that the whole thing doesn't sink with the foil...

I got the exact opposite experience with all my foilboards (5 different sizes right now).

The smaller and thinner the board, the more wind is needed in order to waterstart and foil, no matter what wing.

A huge difference in low end in my experience :wink:

But I know not all agree on this...

8) Peter

austroKiter
Medium Poster

Postby austroKiter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:07 am
I got the exact opposite experience with all my foilboards (5 different sizes right now).

The smaller and thinner the board, the more wind is needed in order to waterstart and foil, no matter what wing.

A huge difference in low end in my experience :wink:

But I know not all agree on this...

8) Peter
Are you using straps? This could explain it.
Strapless it's just easier with less volume to get the board sideways for waterstart.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:13 am

No I am not using straps.

Of course its easier to get it ready if low volume, agree.

But it will require somewhat more wind in order to foil, and survive "everything" once up, even if really big wings, that was the point.

8) Peter

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Total newbie to hydrofoiling. Just built a set up using low aspect carbon foil and an old Skywalker mutant ~ 145x45. Took it for a swim, sea trials if you like. Stoked how stable it was on its side as I intend to try to learn strapless. I was surprised how well it drifted down wind with foil down considering it has close to zero freeboard, but I have ordered a duck to add as sighter etc, thanks for the idea Peter.

On its side ortoganal to the wind this set up did not drift much at all until the wind on the nose made the board bear away. It then tracked down wind at a decent rate. As a newbie I think I will be glad of a bit of nose to speed up board retreval if it ends up side on upwind of me, and at least I will have somewhere to put my duck (gone for the "flash" duck model).

Obviously this is not much of a consideration for the competent rider, but I thought this might be an interesting observation for other beginners.

The duck is going to be called Mr GoDuck unless anybody else comes up with a better name!

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:25 pm

I have the 2019 SHINN Jackson Sunburner in 128 cm equipped with the pad and it floats completely on the water surface together with the SHINN K alloy foil. With a lighter carbon foil it floats even better. For Purists the Sunburner is available with out the pad as well. Without the pad the weight is 2,7 kg.

Shinnworld2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cabezo, Tenerife
Gear: Shinn, Blade, Da Kine,
Brand Affiliation: Owner Shinn Kiteboards

Postby Shinnworld2 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:20 am

I'm testing both thicker boards and thinner boards all the time and for starting I don't find a significant difference. With the lower volume boards it is easier to handle the board in the water (especially strapless) but once up I find the wing size to be far more important than the board. Once the wind is above "very light" I find the board size irrelevant for starting as you tend to go from sitting in the water to foiling in one motion.
One thing is for sure however, the snowboard style constructions are FAR more durable both on the water and during transport.
These users thanked the author Shinnworld2 for the post:
Kamikuza (Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”