Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite quiver

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite quiver

Postby Herman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Just talking generally about optimising your time on water. Arguably you can never have too many kites but you will get more time on water if you have at least 2 boards Typically a sensible newbie will be conservative choosing kite size.for his main board. If he finds that he is underpowered he can jump on the light wind board and still have a worthwhile session.

If the wind picks up and you are forced to change down you know you are going to have a blast anyway and so it is not a bummer.

Typically I would expect a newbie to end up spending more time on his light wind board until he develops the confidence to handle more power. I am a heretic regarding lessons and unless you are fortunate they are only one source in developing the skills you need.

It is a lot quicker to change board size than kite size. Doors only become boaring when you can ride really well and that is not an issue for you yet. Even then I have been riding for years and I can still have fun on a big TT.

antonioc6
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride waves
Gear: None

Postby antonioc6 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:33 pm

So Herman what board size you would have as a second board for a 93kg weight?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:48 pm

145 x 44 is a perfectly sized all-around board for someone 93 kg. Your 2008 board (128 cm) was far too small for you. If you had a bad experience in 2008, I suspect it was more attributable to that board than anything else.

Like Herman, I like multiple board options. I guess investing in more equipment now depends on how much money you have to throw into kiteboarding. You'd be fine keeping what you have for now, and just using it more. Then when you're more confident with your riding, you'll know what you need and want for your future progress. At that point, another board (136-138 cm for higher wind, or maybe a surfboard for light wind) may be just the ticket.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Flandobx is on the money. But I suspect you are no spring chicken! You would have to get a door, flying carpet or similar to make a worthwhile difference in power requirement, and so, perrhaps you should go skiing - spending kids inheritance on a door knowing it is a luxury item.

As an aside and simplistically, so called light wind boards are not limited to wind speed. They are limited by water state and speed ridden. At 100kg I have ridden a 143X48TT in 30knts on flat water.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:23 pm

In your position and with my budget I would just keep my eye out for a cheap door. It seems to me that they are out of fashion and there maybe bargains available. I think they may be a valuable learning tool, particularly for the less athletic. It will not become boring until you can ride really well and are starting to jump!

antonioc6
Rare Poster

Postby antonioc6 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Guys many Tx for all your help. Question 145x45 crazyfly all round is not a door?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 pm

I would not call that a door. In fact that is the size board I learned on many years ago and indeed you should be able to learn on that size of board without unreasonable difficulty. However I distinctly remember that a colleague of mine of similar size and level was able to go up and down the beach on his door or monster door when I was left sitting on the beach.

A door is more about maximizing your time on water rather than being easier to learn on. Doors are out of fashion because a hydrofoils or race board do a better job in those conditions but they are not for a newbie.

If memory serves the biggest monster door I have seen was 160X50mm.

antonioc6
Rare Poster

Postby antonioc6 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Tx:)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:58 am

Having re-read the post I would make 1 last point. It seems fashionable nowadays to recommend a 14 or 15 as the large kite and this is good economics if you are going to evolve into Directionals or Hydrofoils. However if you are expecting to stick to TT you should consider a 17m SLE, which would get you going in 11knts,. Where as you would struggle with a 14 until you have good skills and fitness to work kite hard (kite loop water starts etc.). Unfortunately a 17 is expensive and a bit of a luxury item.

Going back to your position and my budget if I stumbled on a second hand big door and a 17m Zephyr, Turbine,Rebel, Infinity etc at the same time, I would be torn between the two. I would plump for the 17 but it would be a close call!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
antonioc6 (Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

antonioc6
Rare Poster

Postby antonioc6 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 am

Guys once again I want to thank you all. I have learned a lot. I would study my budget but meanwhile just saved some money not buying a 10m and keeping the 8, 12 and 14 with the 145x45 crazyfly allround. I will check the door boards but for now I think I am going to keep going on with the stuff that I have. Cheers to all of you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”