collider
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Q-power line

Postby collider » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Hey - since we're on this subject - what would be the best way to attach a front line safety (not mini 5th as I incorrectly described it) to the middle of one of the front lines (Flysurfer style). Would making the front line slightly longer and tying a figure 8 with a loop work, or would that weaken things or pull out? On spliceable lines there's just a loop spliced in.
Last edited by collider on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Some Q-Power information:

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New brighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: holidays - Flag beach and Matas bay + sotavento on fuerteventura
Home - New Brighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 130L, naked carbon,gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 and 683s and 790 wing sets
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites - 9/11/13/15/
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in, 15-23 mtr lines
very dusty Nobile 50/50 twin tip
massive grin

Postby Foil » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Replace you red safety line after around 1 years use.
It will snap if forgotten about, it wears inside the Pu depower line and right down to the quick release,

Below you will see my mates red safety line after 10 months regular use, he snapped it during normal use last Saturday, and then dropped it off with me to replace the broken line with Q line
The two red safety lines above the one that's snapped are from my two 2 - 12 month old click bars.
pictures are above in the previous post showing the new Q line with stopper ball attached as per the original north line

Image Image Image

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:47 pm

collider wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Hey - since we're on this subject - what would be the best way to attach a mini-5th to the middle of one of the front lines (Flysurfer style). Would making the front line slightly longer and tying a figure 8 with a loop work, or would that weaken things or pull out? On spliceable lines there's just a loop spliced in.
Tricky without splices... I'd try a F8 bend- just imagine the blue line continuing on (it's your front flying line).

Also beware terminology- I think "mini-5th" implies flagging to both front lines, an antiquated and unpopular design.
Instead, you're talking about single frontline flagging, with the flagging line attached to a frontline partway up (eg: Flysurfer, which avoids the need for a sliding plastic stopper). I use this style, works fine with any 4-line kite.

These users thanked the author RagingGrandpa for the post:
collider (Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm)
Rating: 10%

collider
Rare Poster

Postby collider » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Yes - thank you for the correction - meant FLS (front line safety) - need to have my coffee before posting :D
And thank you - F8 looks like the perfect solution, never thought to use that in this context.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Fisherman's knot is an excellent way to join 2 lines even 1.2mm spectra. It has less weakening than most other knots. And it does not jam under load.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:01 pm

NorwayIsCold wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:49 am
POACHER wrote: Not sure why you'd need it, but it probably won't hurt anything as long as the safety line can function completely.

I had Kiteboarding.com do a Click Bar for me with the stuff, and it's really pretty impressive line. My one niggle is the lines are so rigid that when it's very cold, they become completely stiff and keep their shape. Unwinding the bar and rewrapping is like winding 20 gauge wire. I had self landed in very cold water a couple weeks ago and the lines fought me the entire time. Minor detail, but something to think about in cooler climates.
How was the bar after the line change? Is click bar functioning fully? Does lines have a way different feel to North/Duotone lines? Did kites feel and fly different?
Kite flies great with the Q power lines. Not a huge difference from stock, maybe less drag....tough to say. The nice thing is I haven't had to recalibrate the bar yet. I had to constantly mess with the stock lines stretching/shrinking/fraying/etc. Click bar trim adjustment works the same as stock, no issues. The Q Power lines seem very high quality and durable.
They were spendy, but I'm anticipating this line set to last me a few seasons.

I did a new (2017) Click Bar with SK99 lines a couple weeks ago too. I have yet to try that bar and lines. The set I bought was plug and play with the stock 2017 lines. Took me all of 10 minutes to change them out. I may have to shorten the back lines a few cm, but this will be easy with the PKS Universal pigtails. I have these on the Q Power lineset too. Sure you can make your own pigtails, but these are worth the $20 for the ability to fly any kite regardless of larks head/loop config and the ease of adjusting lengths. (especially on a Click bar)
pks2018_adjustable_universal_pigtail-1.jpg
pks2018_adjustable_universal_pigtail-1.jpg (109.83 KiB) Viewed 526 times

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 9
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:37 pm

collider wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Hey - since we're on this subject - what would be the best way to attach a front line safety (not mini 5th as I incorrectly described it) to the middle of one of the front lines (Flysurfer style). Would making the front line slightly longer and tying a figure 8 with a loop work, or would that weaken things or pull out? On spliceable lines there's just a loop spliced in.
Yes, you can splice it. However, you need to be aware that the line will shrink if you splice something in it. To counter this you can choose to shorten the other line or just splice a dummy piece of equal length into the other line. I did that and wrote about it here:
https://dannlos.de/DIY_kite_bar.php . It works great.

collider
Rare Poster

Postby collider » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi kite_hh - missed your post until now. Nice write up on your bar. We were talking about Q-Power line, which can't be spliced, so you have to get creative with your knot tying, apparently. I've spliced a loop into sk75 and 99 (pretty much what Flysurfer does) and it works great.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Nice
Attachments
90D79F04-A862-4E48-9E27-E7B4A8FB6F4A.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”