Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Removing small scratches from a Carbon board

Postby lindseym » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Greetings all,
I have a Carved board I will be selling but there are some small scratches running down the heelside edge. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on removing them. Thanks.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Removing small scratches from a Carbon board

Postby POACHER » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 pm

I would assume more on the base? If yes, the softest buffer and polishing compound is as heavy as I'd go. The base is pretty tough, but just be careful. These boards have about the minimal amount of materials required to keep the weight down. No idea how tough the sidewalls are. I would try the buffer.

If it's on the topsheet, forget about it. With the textured topsheet I don't think it's able to be buffed out. Plus that topsheet is so thin, it scratches with your fingernails and you'll just make it worse. Just leave it.

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: Removing small scratches from a Carbon board

Postby lindseym » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:47 pm

POACHER wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 pm
I would assume more on the base? If yes, the softest buffer and polishing compound is as heavy as I'd go. The base is pretty tough, but just be careful. These boards have about the minimal amount of materials required to keep the weight down. No idea how tough the sidewalls are. I would try the buffer.

If it's on the topsheet, forget about it. With the textured topsheet I don't think it's able to be buffed out. Plus that topsheet is so thin, it scratches with your fingernails and you'll just make it worse. Just leave it.
Thanks for the input. Yes, its on the base. The scratches are so small (barely visible) I think I'm just going to leave as is. Much appreciated.

Return to “Kitesurfing”