Local Beach: Isle of WIGHT
Gear: Whatever flys
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best lines on the market

Postby SamPolish » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:32 am

Hi all,
I have tried few different bars over last two years, in need of changing my worn out core pro lines to new decent set but can not fully make my mind up on what to use.
In my opinion best long lasting lines were slingshot lines and I'm thinking of getting a set for my core bar to rework steering lines to the right lengths.
Is it sensible idea?
Would you recommend any better lines or different options?

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Best lines on the market

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 am

In the Netherlands, many guests replace their broken lines with these top lines;
https://www.infexion.nl/

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 am

Well, I am very impressed with the quality of the RRD lines....but whether they are the best or not...

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:40 am

I always get my replacement lines from www.boardway.org . Liros lines, which are used by several kite companies. A full set of 24m lines is about 110 Euros.

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 am

Depends on what "best" means for you.

If it is most durable you will probably need to decide how thick you want your lines.

If you want them to be light and still durable I would recommend Liros DC000-0201 and DC000-0301 respectively which are Dyneema SK99. I have written about them here: https://dannlos.de/DIY_kite_bar.php

This is an article on lines. It is in German, nevertheless you may able to get some information on current lines from it (see table).
https://www.liros.com/fileadmin/user_up ... sprobe.pdf
These users thanked the author kite_hh for the post:
nixmatters (Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Slingshot and Cabrinha have excellent lines IMO.

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force

Postby Iridian » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:56 pm

matth wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:07 pm
Slingshot and Cabrinha have excellent lines IMO.
Yeah. My slingshot lines are beautiful. Way better than my liquid force or fone lines.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 pm

The Core Pro 2.0 line set using Liros lines are some of the best retail lines on the market. Great strength although not well treated for wear (such as on sand) so you gotta wash em and keep sand time to a minimum. You can also purchase Liros lines individually and have a custom line set constructed (abit pricey) allowing you to use higher end spec Liros lines (Core uses 301 center/201 outside) - the DC 701 and DC-401 are much better products for extreme tricks.

For a straight retail solution, go with Duotone/North Click bar. The Teufelburger lines are awesome in terms of strength and wear/tear. I teach on them and have dragged those lines for over a year on the beach while also kiting on them myself doing high powered jumps/loops (I weigh 240 and live in a high wind environment, biggest jumps with loops are about 15m/50ft high). Takes a year of heavy abuse to see any degradation.

Be aware if you are mixing a non-Core bar with a Core kite, that the Core kites were designed for bars with SSF. One of my worst kite accidents was using a SLingshot bar with a Core GTS kite and I was forced to QR. In strong super powered conditions the kite flags out weird as the bridling was designed with some of the load shift occurring at the V split with Core's SSF system. THey did something weird with this and their kites do not flag out well on other brand's bars as a result. You are better off using your existing bar and replacing the lines themselves to keep that functionality.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 am

dracop wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 pm
For a straight retail solution, go with Duotone/North Click bar. The Teufelburger lines are awesome in terms of strength and wear/tear. I teach on them and have dragged those lines for over a year on the beach while also kiting on them myself doing high powered jumps/loops (I weigh 240 and live in a high wind environment, biggest jumps with loops are about 15m/50ft high). Takes a year of heavy abuse to see any degradation.
You are joking, right?

Teufelberger fl10 lines duotone uses are considered to be the worst lines available, the amount of riders that broke them within a season are impossible to count.

I even tested them and it was rare to find a line that holds more than 250DaN when new. A season of heavy use brings it into 100-150DaN range....

The SK99 lines I use that have the same thickness as fl10 easy surpass 500DaN on the same testing rig, sometimes even up to 600DaN when spliced and properly tapered. Making them 2-3x stronger than Duotone lines in new condition.
These users thanked the author evan for the post (total 2):
POACHER (Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:10 pm) • Ulrik (Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:14 am)
Rating: 6.06%

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Avro, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:58 am

I have been using Cabrinha Bar/lines for 12 years. Never had a broken line. The last few years have been even better than 2012/13 lines for example. I also think that washing after each session, drying in shade and not leaving in the sun unnecessarily and storing in a bar bag prolong the life.

Return to “Kitesurfing”