Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jumping fully powered

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Jumping fully powered

Postby Herman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Herman wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Playing around in waves in gusty winds I don't always know what backstall will be trimmed into the bar throw before an off the cuff jump and this probably contributed to variable results particularly during transition jumps. However once I started looking at the kite in the air I was able to control kite flying speed by degree of sheeting. For the trim set up I normally use I usually sheet out a bit before the redirect to get the kite moving and if you are looking it you can judge how much, if any, sheeting out is required. Helps to know what to expect for next jump as well. Some people I know don't actually see their kite during a jump but looking works for me.

With my small kites l would not have any trim available to me anyway. I do not like the feel of a trimmed in kite as you can't hold it slow in the air if that's what you want.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Maybe I have misunderstood, but if you are proposing to take an oversized kite trimmed in, what happens if the wind picks up?
Generally if I am trimming in, I expect it to be temporary, or I will be heading in to change down. The exception would be when the conditions are really tricky, water state, big lulls etc, I will carefully trim out backstall to make sure it is not an issue if I am fighting the conditions.

I do not like the feel of a timmed in kite because you can't stop in the air if that's what you want!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:00 am

Why are you trimming in the first place?

What do you not like about jumping the 11?

Do you like landing with a lot of forward speed?

Do have trim pulled in for optimal angle of attack? How heavy are you?
Last edited by Herman on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:37 am

[/quote]
However at the moment of being fully powered on 5m or on 7m or on 9m I'd be tempted to pick a larger size because fully powered now doesn't mean I will still be fully powered 20 minutes later
[/quote]

What does 20 minutes later have to do with jumping now?

Also, if we are talking about sent jumps, the depower will slacken the back lines some and slow the ‘send’ some. Not what you want at all. :nono:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 pm

However if you put your example - depowered 9m vs. fully powered 7m - I'd rather ride depowered 9m (unless it's fully depowered)
most people would choose to be silly powered on 9 over proper 7...
cause in gusty wind 7 drops you like a rock :-)
unless it's "rigging for the gusts" type of thing and playing safe w/o much boosting...
I know an experienced guy, taken by an ambulance with lots of metal inserts in his bones, cause he rigged for the lulls in some of our local conditions..
Ended up lofted and hurt...

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:36 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 pm
However at the moment of being fully powered on 5m or on 7m or on 9m I'd be tempted to pick a larger size because fully powered now doesn't mean I will still be fully powered 20 minutes later
you ride hydrofoils, do you?
What I do, I bring one kite and 2 boards to the beach: small 132TT and freerace HF.. that usually covers most of my jumping..if the wind dies for TT I can still do Ok on HF and I usually get at least 30ft one way or the other regardless of the wind swings, unless I get caught in some extra constraints (like too shallow to foil or too gusty or too much fish) or I get skunked completely..

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:17 am

I never touch the trim for boosting, no matter how overpowerd I become. As soon as the bar is at the proper setup, trimming it to have more depower makes the kite uncontrollable.
Just force the kite to the edge with your board, a kite kite that is a bit powered at it's optimal lift/drag angle shoots faster forward than a fully depowered kite with flapping cloth and a sub optimal lift/drag. You just need to trust that the power spike will last for a short moment and keep edging!

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 am

evan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:17 am
I never touch the trim for boosting, no matter how overpowerd I become. As soon as the bar is at the proper setup, trimming it to have more depower makes the kite uncontrollable.
Just force the kite to the edge with your board, a kite kite that is a bit powered at it's optimal lift/drag angle shoots faster forward than a fully depowered kite with flapping cloth and a sub optimal lift/drag. You just need to trust that the power spike will last for a short moment and keep edging!
Jup this is the way and also like Dirk says, watch the movies from Anton Chernyshov about edging.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:21 am

Thinking about typical sessions if I am trimming in its because I am no longer comfortable in the increased wind speed and as I am getting more decrepit I would not be looking to boost anyway. Personally I think it's better to practice living with a lot of power rather than trimming, certainly edging is useful and so is easing line tension with bearing away, small unsent jumps etc,etc.

Also because my knees are knackered controlling landing speed is important to me and this would be less controllable with a kite trimmed so that the leading edge is not producing lift.

Of course this is talking TT hooked in. I would have a different approach for unhooking.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Back to the original pic , she's fully powered at the apex of jump , why? Because that's the way you jump! Doesn't matter if your overpowered or underpowered. Edge ,send kite, sheet in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”