Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A tribute to the Naish Torch maybe

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

A tribute to the Naish Torch maybe

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:05 am

Not 100% but it seems no Naish pro riders are riding torches any more.

Seems like it is the end of an era. Not surprising really as it marketed itself into a niche corner as a kite it really wasn't, it is actually very easy to fly, has depower, and generates so much power from a turn.

In a twist also interesting to see a bit of a shift where many young riders at the megaloop challenge seemed to be back on c kites... the difference was very visible in the sideways speed of the loops and overall sickness of the loops.

I think the best thing about the torch was the 5th line. Anyone that rides in very high winds knows that having a potential virtual hand on the centre of the leading edge is a godsend in high risk situations. Also the lack of bridles meant that you dont have to worry about bridle based deathloops ever... something that feels good when you arrive at the beach and it is gusting 43 knots.

I think the first torch was 2005 just after the Raven which was great too.

Anyway I really liked torches, very entertaining to ride.. some newer kites feel a bit psh (Ed Bassmaster style - ) ... boring In fact when I got off fuels onto a torch - I was like... geez this torch is a sissy kite.

Well that was 15 years of a very similar kite design - the design must have been doing something right.

I have ridden the vegas over the years - it is not the same but similar, actually better tuned out the bag for unhooking for a few years there.

Awesome kite, the loaded 5th line really did work well.. i kind of already knew because I was clamping off my fuels 5th line a bit shorter than normal and voila - way better depower.

Not sure where to go now in replacing what I ride (6 torches) that all have delaminating valves problems... some big unnecessary swims this year

I kind of wish the torch was toned down and marketed as an intermediate/advanced allrounder - you know - 1 kite for everything - freestyle/ air /waves instead of being advertised as the wakestyle kite used by 0.001% of the population.

Well I just tried riding a cloud with a my surfboard... so small to pack up but eeeerrrr no that never was going to work.

Respect to the Naish Torch, a really great kite design!

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 7.42.58 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 7.42.58 pm.jpg (61.37 KiB) Viewed 2345 times

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A tribute to the Naish Torch maybe

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:55 am

I blame world sailing!
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
longwhitecloud (Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:05 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:55 am
I blame world sailing!
you may write this as a joke, but actually it is true.

Luckily the sport still has King of the Air. This is true kiteboarding.

And yes, Torch was great.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Torch still is great, I have 5 of them. Ewan Jaspan still rides the torch for Naish, he was riding it this week at the Hook River slider Jam. Are we 100% sure there won't be a Torch 2020 ? I would be gutted if Naish dropped the Torch from their line up.

The Torch is easier to fly than most realise, and makes an outstanding high wind kite. My 7m Torch will happily fly in 45mph gusting 50mph (84kg/Shinn Monk 134cm). Losing Jessie Richman was a big blow for Naish as he ripped on the Torch. I think there is definitely a market for the Torch still.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Yep i have a 7m torch in 43 knot gusts in Maui, I tried a darkslide kiteloop and hit an absolutely stupid gust and catapulted half way up my lines wrapped in them - that was when i realised it was important to colour identify the 5th line all the way up, otherwise it was useless to get me out of a quite, well really bad situation in front of the rocks at Kanaha. I sorted it out doing something a bit unconventional but quite risky. Jeez I don't even like talking about it!

Not 100% no, but if you look at recent naish pro rider instas - only naish dash- looks like a torch shape with long bridles and 3 struts. Usually by now you would know if the torch was continuing has been out at same time as all the other kites.

It was on a strange path recently - mini bridle options - advertised as soooo hardvcore freestyle/wakestyle. I like waveriding with them... te best in the right conditions . . .mind u time ahve changed and there are kites that have a better ratio of getting back upwind and depower for waveriding these days since the world seems to have stopped unhooking.

World Sailing do a lot for kiteboarding, look at all the money they poured into the other disciplines and even youth development, that are not related to racing - you know what the ceo of world sailing was talking about doing at their AGM this year - oh yeah #ABSOLUTELYNOTHING

It was all very predictable what was going to happen with involvement from non related 3rd parties.. after one thing - IOC funding.

Anyway, I am sure people are sick of me banging on about it, but I just love kiting and it is my opinion that the whole affair was going to be and has been negative for kiting overall.

So back to the Torch! Anyone got any 100% certain info? Might be #FAKENEW, but looking a bit wierd right now.

Actually they sort of started doing the every 2 year thing didnt they.. may be they just keep making 2019 one.....?? but no sign of that.

Anyone know why Naish changed their QR design- it was good then they made it so small it could only just fit in your hook and now it looks all complex tech design..

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 pm

I ordered 2020 Pivots. There were 2020 Torchs on the order sheet, so I would assume that it will be there in 2020. Probably no changes to the kite design, but with the conventional one pump system and the SUP inflation valve.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:07 pm

I ordered 2020 Pivots. There were 2020 Torchs on the order sheet
... Great :thumb:

I rode my firends 2019 pivot and really wanted to love it... but coming from a Torch I simply couldn't! The pivot boosts brilliantly, but the power and slowness were limp compared to the Torch (I know the pivot is more powerful over all but the power delivery is slow). I just love the nimbleness of the Torch and the constant power, kiteloops are a world apart on the two kites.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:19 pm

Yeah, very different kites. Would love to try a current Torch just to know how it feels. Have ridden Ravens until 2010 and loved them, especially the last model from 2007 which was the most refined (but no loops on these...)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:43 pm

False alarm boys, knickers unpunched, I repeat unbunch the knickers. Nothing but a bit of fake news from the long cloud. It's ok, he'll blame world sailing. Move along, move along. Nothing to see here.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Dirk wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 pm
I ordered 2020 Pivots. There were 2020 Torchs on the order sheet, so I would assume that it will be there in 2020. Probably no changes to the kite design, but with the conventional one pump system and the SUP inflation valve.
Was that a Naish wholesale dealer form, or a shop order?

Still no sign of a 2020 torch - I looked and Ewan Jaspan seemed to be riding a Dash at the SSS, not . torch - they look similar except for number of struts and bridle. thx

"knickers unpunched" - auto correct at its finest!

Return to “Kitesurfing”