Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby pmaggie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:40 pm

After so many years reading "game changer" for every small (and often useless) "improvement", 50% less weight definitely IS game changing. FS Soul 8 is declared at 1,72 kgs. Less than 2 kgs. for a 10 mts 3 struts lei means flying a kite with the weight of a foil but without all the cons of a foil. The price will be for sure quite high in the beginning but is a FS cheap? Also, in the foilboarding era, a small size super light sail is a must. Many compliments to OR, really.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Yeah he does say we’ll be “seeing a lot of aluula out there in the market” so doesn’t sound exclusive to OR. Still, props to them.

I personally would be excited seeing this hit the whitewater rafting industry as well assuming its lighter and stronger (and slides over rocks slicker) than hypalon at thicknesses useful to that sport... I reckon that might possibly be another, larger side, of what this was developed for...?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

OR have always had an eye for innovation. They have never shied away from being different. They worked with venting their canopy in effort to relaminate air flow on the back side of the canopy and reduce stall, they came up with the ever lasting meme of the go joe, they have put stock in altering the shape of the LE of their kites near the wingtip in effort to put bridle attachments in more ideal locations compared to center or effort. They were key in the better designed rear bar trim and have always been out front with their drysuits. They even made a crazy surfing drysuit for a few years. A joy to use,,,,, once you were in it! I'm not surprised they are the ones to bring new materials to the sport, and predict they have indeed done their due diligence in testing. I bet this will work out well not only for them, but for the sport in general.

I am rather amazed that boards and more or North or cab or Naish with all their deep pockets were happy fritting away cash on glossy promo materials rather than get down to some actual materials R&D. While the kite industry players are all chasing the quick cash wing hype, OR is going to steal their lunch with actual improvement to our sport.

I wish them massive success.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 6):
Greenturtle (Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm) • styleito (Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm) • Jfoil (Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 pm) • SENDIT! (Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 pm) • bragnouff (Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:20 pm) • Kees (Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 am)
Rating: 18.18%

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm

It would be enough if OR get the ALUULA at cost for their input in the development and have the 1st to market advantage.

And as Hypalon was mentioned above, I'm very inclined to believe that the black coating/laminate is something of the sort.
The structural yarn is no doubt some sort of UHMWPE (white yarn clearly visible in the video). Only Zylon is on par with Dyneema/Spectra as regards tenacity and elongation, but is 50% heavier and has low UV, abrasion and moisture resistance. And much more expensive than generic UHMWPE.

Higher kite prices - if calculated per hour riding rather than per sq.m... might be well worth it

chibern
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything

Postby chibern » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:54 pm

What's that "Crave" kite in the background? I don't see it in their current line-up...

Jfoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Style: Surfboard waves & foiling
Gear: Surf board & 5,6,8m kites

Postby Jfoil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:27 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

I am rather amazed that boards and more or North or cab or Naish with all their deep pockets were happy fritting away cash on glossy promo materials rather than get down to some actual materials R&D. While the kite industry players are all chasing the quick cash wing hype, OR is going to steal their lunch with actual improvement to our sport.

I wish them massive success.
I don’t think you can assume the other brands aren’t going to use it too. Maybe they just aren’t putting out marketing videos until they have something ready to sell

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:29 pm

chibern wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:54 pm
What's that "Crave" kite in the background? I don't see it in their current line-up...
The kite (technology) we've been all craving for ;)

CRAdle to graVE is less likely in the context of modern sustainable product lifetime concepts

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:17 pm
Ocean Rodeo also were involved in the stick shift bar but ....
Ocean Rodeo own the IP ( intellectual property ) on their Shift bar and are licensing it out to other brands, like Ben Wilson Surf and Harlem, just like Slingshot did with the 1-pump inflation system. Wide adoption through licensing maximizes the return on investment to develop new technology. Trying to maintain exclusivity means wasting huge effort and cost in litigating patent infringers.

O.R. definitely have a head-start on other brands with the Aluula fabric, and maybe a short term exclusive-use contract with the company, but to maximize the ROI to develop the new material, wide industry adoption would be the plan.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post (total 2):
jumptheshark (Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:19 pm) • Kitemenn (Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:19 am)
Rating: 6.06%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm
While the kite industry players are all chasing the quick cash wing hype, OR is going to steal their lunch with actual improvement to our sport.
Can't wait for some Aluula wings!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 pm

This is rad, I'm glad they're the ones putting this out because they have a dedicated and loyal following that will battle-test this stuff immediately.

Wouldn't it be sick if this was the answer to kiteracing and we finally got great, super-light-wind inflatable kites that finally put ram-airs to bed?

Return to “Kitesurfing”