Aluula? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Forum for kitesurfers
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Aluula ? New Revolutionary Material from Ocean Rodeo

Postby BWD » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:03 pm

Calm down james.
I shared some facts.
Ullman have factories that assemble laminate cloths. They do make fabrics of the type discussed. So do others.
You can even look up such fabric on amazon (from another supplier, DSM, N.V.,and others).
If you ever worked for a sail loft you know there are subsidiaries, joint ventures, dedicated small factories or lofts that focus on a single product, etc. Ownership location and licensing are also varied.
I am not taking anything away from OR, or any Canadian company, just dicsussing what’s available or soon to be in the market.
Maybe I offend by stating the price of similar fabrics? If so, too bad!

Here’s more:You can buy a 3m^2 dyneema groundcloth for camping for $170.00. Probably about the amount needed for an lei, i’d wager. And shows the underlying material cost must be closer to $20/yard than the $50 a consumer would pay for short cuts of it.

So if aluula is just another dyneema laminate, but doubles the price of a kite, people will be ill served and competitors will undercut it rapidly.
If the aluula company/project really is a totally new materials advance, thats awesome, just not terribly likely.
Sorry if thats rain on anyone’s parade. Bottom line is that if it does what’s claimed in the video, it could be great for the sport in the long run.
These users thanked the author BWD for the post:
alford (Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:10 am)
Rating: 3.03%

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Working off my phone and headed to the lake for a few days with my family but wanted to share this link to our Instagram. It’s a video our team rider Reece made that shows a number of the GKA riders trying to tear a piece of the new Aluula fabric.

While you’re there, be sure to give us a follow! :remybussi:

(Conspiracy theorists will point out that towards the end the piece is smaller - it was cut with a knife out of frustration at one point that’s not shown on the video :) )
These users thanked the author ORSales for the post:
kjorn (Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:17 pm

BWD

You are confusing assembling laminates with actual manufacture.

No I never worked in a sail loft and never said I did but I did work for Bainbridge and we did supply all of the major sail lofts with the raw ingredient that they then assembled

It also crossed into supply to Neil press kite loft as well as the ozone loft too

Currently you and others are guessing at the material composition then applying numbers to it based on no evidence at all, why can’t people let a brand have its moment in the sun and let the results come in before (incorrectly forensically examining it)

Maybe it would have more weight as and when OR actually state what it’s made from?
These users thanked the author james for the post (total 3):
jumptheshark (Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:27 pm) • nixmatters (Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:43 pm) • knotwindy (Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 am)
Rating: 9.09%

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Confusing nothing. Whatever part of the pipeline someone has worked in, the point isn’t who’s extruding, weaving, gluing or sewing.
We all know different people make the glue, film, fiber etc. none of that is sailcoth until its finished, coated laminated or whatever other process applies to a product.

Kiting lacks the volume and billionaire egos to fuel totally new technologies. Even F1, GP yachting, etc. are merely adapting what the rocket surgeons and chemists create for aerospace.
It’s only reasonable to speculate what the next wave of adaptation applied to our low volume, relatively low dollar sport will be.
In fact, such discussion is one of the prime reasons we have online forums. It’s fun to wonder what the new stuff is, all I’m doing here. New glue? A film? Different fiber or weave?
Wait and see, but its ok to talk about it.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Genuinely I don’t know how to put this without offending you..

ullman buy in finished rolls of cloth and cut the panels and assemble them, thats it as far as magic goes.

I mean that is they haven’t had China sail factory ( google it) lay the yarns onto a carrier film laminate it and then cut the panels out ready for ullman to then stitch it together.

The raw cloth (greige) is what companies like bainbridge make then coat, add film to and finish in f*** off big rolls that the lofts buy.

It absolutely is sailcloth when it leaves the factory, it IS a sail when it leaves the sailmaker. The distinction is very clear

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:30 pm

ORSales wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:58 pm

link to our Instagram. It’s a video our team rider Reece made that shows a number of the GKA riders trying to tear a piece of the new Aluula fabric.
Do they realize that the more they pull it, the stronger it gets?! :lol:
You can safely raise the prise money by 50 for every next person trying to tear the same swatch :wink:

Kudos to the guys who developed that coating! :thumb:

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:53 pm

A similar test with denim with dyneema

Apparently they make black dyneema fiber now as well as white.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:11 pm

pmaggie wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:54 am
new Aluula kites will be expensive as a foil kite but I don't think this is a major issue, since in theory an Aluula kite will have the pros of both a lei and a foil kite, so it's worth the price.

I love this new material, but LEI still wont self inflate and be less durable. And the cheapest kites are foil kites, either out right from Pansh or for the length of time they last even with more expensive models. Material durability often depends on mass, so these new kites are likely to be less durable especially to abrasion and penetration.

It would be interesting to see a foil kite made with this in 10g/m2 fabric, I think the hotair balloon effect would then allow it to completely defy gravity. I think I have read about a single skin made from dyneema fabric which flew in 0.5knots.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:19 am

Believe it or not I’m not easily offended and have a decent vocabulary so greige is not a new term to me.

Also not sure Ullman only assembles tape sails in china, but I am not pretending to be the expert here, just stating whats obvious.

Havent heard of any new wonder fibers so posit dyneema is involved until proven otherwise, in yarn or laminated layer or whatever else.

Would be hilarious if this new cloth turned out to be made solely of angry internet pixels, but i hope
not. It should be pretty awesome really...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:39 am

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collection ... 18-wov-32c
Looks the same, same appearance and weight.

Cuben(rebranded to dyneema) fiber is not new in kiting. Best used it for LE, now OR is using it for LE and struts. I wonder what were the problems with older cuben vs newer cuben fabrics? Cost drop from cheaper material from china? Other?

Return to “Kitesurfing”